Author Topic: Snobbish watch salesperson  (Read 40145 times)

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
Snobbish watch salesperson
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:23:50 PM »
I recently encountered two really stuck up watch salesperson in a span of two weeks.

Encounter 1 : I went into this really well known shop selling rolexes and Tudors in town. As I walked in, I asked the salesperson to see the Tudor BB in Red. He went and took it out for me. So, I took off my speedy pro (sapphire sandwich) and tried on the Black Bay. As I was sizing up the watch, the sales person took my speedy into his hand and examine it!

After finding out that I was wearing a genuine watch, he quickly covers his tracks by saying that I made an excellent choice in owning a speedy pro as that is the ONLY Omega watch worth collecting. Which kinda made me hot under my collar as most of you know, I am an avid Omega collector. So, two wrongs doesn't make a right. First, he looked down on me, and thought that I was wearing a replica Speedy Pro. Then, he dissed my favorite brand.

Without saying much, I left without buying the Tudor Black Bay. And to think I was so close in pulling the trigger on it.

Second experience happened today. Went into a very well known store that sells pretty high end stuff like JLC, Omega and UN. Went in with my Longines Legend Diver Date.

Made a beeline straight for the JLC section as I was interested in getting a dress watch and my short list includes a JLC Grande Taille. The sales person walks up to me, looking extremely bored (probably thinking that I am some riff-raft from Jalan Chow Kit). I asked him about the JLC Grande Taille. And he went huh? (Note: I pronounce Jaeger as Jae-jae, which is the correct way according to a JLC watch maker whom I had the pleasure to meet a few years ago).

I repeated a few times and he still looked blur with a smirk on his face. So, I went Chinaman on him and ask him whether if he have Jäger LaCouter Grand Tail-lee. And he went oh, ya we have that. And he didn't even bother to bring it out to show me. Just pointed into the display. So, keepin my cool, I said thank you and left.

The moral of the story: a young looking guy in shorts and t-shirt could probably afford to pay cash for watches than some conman in a three piece suit. So, don't judge a book by its cover. As for me, I am going back to my regular AD, whom will serve me drinks and wine when they see me approaching their outlet.

They shouldn't discriminate a person because of his age and the way he dress. The reason why I like to dress simple is that I don't want to get robbed. Decking out in expensive stuff for a walk in town is just asking to be mugged, especially when you have 10k+ in cash as you are planning to buy a new watch...

I wanted to get the Tudor Black Bay at first but in the end I went with a Longines Legend Diver as I was presented with a deal that I couldn't refuse..

Please note that this is not a name and shame post as I didn't list out the outlets nor the mall that they were in. But if they are reading this, then they will know who I am referring to.
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
Re: Snobbish watch salesperson
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:07:16 AM »
most sales people presume that a person is not capable of upgrading...

you gotta wear something of similar or higher value than the watch that you are interesting in, in order to get their service...

well... good luck to them ::)

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:57:39 AM »

you gotta wear something of similar or higher value than the watch that you are interesting in, in order to get their service...

What got me worked up a lot is the first incident. The sales person thought that I was wearing a replica from Petaling Street. And in that incident, I was enquiring about the Tudor BB and wearing a Speedy Pro to see a Tudor BB is reasonable enough imho. I had 10k+ in my bag at that time too as I was ready to buy.

The second incident, got me a bit angry but after sleeping it over today, I kinda realise that maybe I shouldn't have worn LLD to see a JLC. Should have brought my Datejust or AT instead... After all, the sales person probably have seen a lot of riff-rafts walking though the door only to fondle timepieces for free. I guess I was being profiled as a Jalan Alor Char Koay Teow seller with my shorts and t-shirt.  :P

Anyways, I am on the lookout for a new AD as my contact in the current AD is going to join a boutique in a few months time.  :(
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:39:56 AM »

What got me worked up a lot is the first incident. The sales person thought that I was wearing a replica from Petaling Street. And in that incident, I was enquiring about the Tudor BB and wearing a Speedy Pro to see a Tudor BB is reasonable enough imho. I had 10k+ in my bag at that time too as I was ready to buy.

The second incident, got me a bit angry but after sleeping it over today, I kinda realise that maybe I shouldn't have worn LLD to see a JLC. Should have brought my Datejust or AT instead... After all, the sales person probably have seen a lot of riff-rafts walking though the door only to fondle timepieces for free. I guess I was being profiled as a Jalan Alor Char Koay Teow seller with my shorts and t-shirt.  :P

Anyways, I am on the lookout for a new AD as my contact in the current AD is going to join a boutique in a few months time.  :(
got to agree the first case is a real insult  :Mad:

Online r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
Hmm, I've honestly never had an issue. I'm almost always in slippers and shorts, and have never had a snobbish AD experience. Even when I tell my salesperson I cannot afford Jaeger, she will tell me to go ahead and try it on anyway.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:12 AM »
I guess I was being profiled as a Jalan Alor Char Koay Teow seller with my shorts and t-shirt.  :P

Don't look down on food stall owners...popular ones can even afford to buy a sub-c every month with cash  :thumbsup:

Offline swleong

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
I guess I was being profiled as a Jalan Alor Char Koay Teow seller with my shorts and t-shirt.  :P

Don't look down on food stall owners...popular ones can even afford to buy a sub-c every month with cash  :thumbsup:

This is what I'm thinking too. I know a Chee Cheong Fun seller in Taman OUG having revenue of more than RM1000 per day with just one humble little store inside a coffee shop. That's on par with many corporate CEO's salary.

Don't judge the book by its cover as mentioned. 

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »
Dear friedrice,

Earlier in my journey of collecting watches I did encounter sh*tloads of these situation. Especially with those really high end ones.
Similarly I brought this issue up in mwf, some of the sifus here provided good advice. A short recap of what has worked for me.

1) Be up front abt it when entering a boutique/AD, if they approach. Just let them know you're a browser or seriously interested. This will set the tone.
2) Be polite, they are humans too. (well if they are jackasses, then I usually just leave)
3) If they keep looking at your wrist, I'll usually take my watch off and pass it to them for a closer look. (most will be embarassed abt it that you've noticed them sizing you up and somehow their service gets better)

With that said, the service in kl has not improved and for my last three purchases, it was done out of town.

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
Dear friedrice,

Earlier in my journey of collecting watches I did encounter sh*tloads of these situation. Especially with those really high end ones.
Similarly I brought this issue up in mwf, some of the sifus here provided good advice. A short recap of what has worked for me.

1) Be up front abt it when entering a boutique/AD, if they approach. Just let them know you're a browser or seriously interested. This will set the tone.
2) Be polite, they are humans too. (well if they are jackasses, then I usually just leave)
3) If they keep looking at your wrist, I'll usually take my watch off and pass it to them for a closer look. (most will be embarassed abt it that you've noticed them sizing you up and somehow their service gets better)

With that said, the service in kl has not improved and for my last three purchases, it was done out of town.

the 3rd one is a very good idea :thumbsup:

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
Dear friedrice,

@kenji1903 - thank you so much for advice. I always try to abide by rule 2) but as humans, sometimes you get a vibe so hostile that you want to leave immediately without first thanking the sales person for his/her time.

But rule 1 and 3 are something new to me. I will remember to use them when I browse for watches on my shortlist.
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »
I think in the first incident, the salesperson just wants to take a look at what you are wearing. I get that a lot. I do not think there is anything condescending about what he did unless there are other cues which led you to believe so. As for his statement, that is just his personal opinion. I have had salesperson looking at my watches, think I should buy the brand they are selling ( in my case is the Hublot he was selling instead of the Patek I am wearing) and the thing is most of the time they are not trained to recognise a watch at first glance hence the need to have a closer look.

The second incident is where the real insult is. What the salesman did there is quite condescending and rude.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Geneve

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 10:02:17 AM »
It's ok...  My experience worse than yours because I'm a young man that born on 90s. They should think that I couldn't afford any watch in their shop.  :-\ Most of the time, the sales personal won't even bother to welcome me nor walk down to me. And they must think that the Speedy on my hand and my cloth also from Petaling Street. My cases happen in many AD in KL. Luxury leather goods shop served me better than these AD.

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »

This is what I'm thinking too. I know a Chee Cheong Fun seller in Taman OUG having revenue of more than RM1000 per day with just one humble little store inside a coffee shop. That's on par with many corporate CEO's salary.

Don't judge the book by its cover as mentioned.

My apologies for the stereotype. I hope I didn't insult any food traders with my post. I don't mean to say that hawkers are poor and cannot afford nice things but am just trying to illustrate a point on why the sales staff were so snobbish towards me (being underdressed and thus, being seen as unworthy to step into a high end watch shop). Sorry if I made anyone angry.

On a side note, this reminds me of a PP boutique in KL. I once got very friendly with a staff there. They told me straight up that their policy is to weed out the unworthy. So, to make it more intimidating, they shut the door, place a guard at the entrance and put on display their most complicated and expensive timepieces (without the price tags being visible). The saying goes that if you really need to ask, you can't afford it.  :o

But the staff was nice enough to let me fondle a Patek Annual Calendar watch. I dunno the model number as they are too high end for me to collect. It has chronograph function and in white gold with white gold bracelet. It was beautiful but it costs more than rm100k!

So, I guess, the higher end you go, the more they will scrutinise you on what you're wearing. On the other hand, dressing up to buy a watch is pretty silly. Especially when paying with cash (to get a better discount). I can only imagine a rich banker walking to Patek Philippe Boutique wearing a bespoke suit and pushing an oversize Rimowa/Pelican Luggage bag filled with 180k in cold hard cash. I bet all the criminals in the vicinity would zero in on this poor dude.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:13:22 AM by Friedricetheman »
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »
When I was a bit chubby, I got better treatment at boutiques. Perhaps it's the way I walked in with that tummy(even with shorts).

Now that I lost a bit, looks fitter, they don't bother with me anymore (perhaps I look much younger now)... but my wife insist I keep my current weight. Maybe its her strategy to keep me from buying more watches...   :-\

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
I think in the first incident, the salesperson just wants to take a look at what you are wearing. I get that a lot. I do not think there is anything condescending about what he did unless there are other cues which led you to believe so. As for his statement, that is just his personal opinion. I have had salesperson looking at my watches, think I should buy the brand they are selling ( in my case is the Hublot he was selling instead of the Patek I am wearing) and the thing is most of the time they are not trained to recognise a watch at first glance hence the need to have a closer look.

The second incident is where the real insult is. What the salesman did there is quite condescending and rude.

Probably he was rude because I wanted to look at JLC wearing a Longines. Kinda like a guy wearing an in production Swatch Quartz wanting to look at a Rolex.  :Startled:

It was no big deal after I slept over it. Was kinda angry last night but the anger has subsided. But the quest for a new AD and watch continues.  :Praying:
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline Everdying

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »
i always believe its in how u carry urself, regardless of what u wear...and that first impression will always rub off on the person u are meeting...be it from a salesman or even going for a job interview...from the way u walk, stand, sit etc.

Offline rahkshi007

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »
It's ok...  My experience worse than yours because I'm a young man that born on 90s. They should think that I couldn't afford any watch in their shop.  :-\ Most of the time, the sales personal won't even bother to welcome me nor walk down to me. And they must think that the Speedy on my hand and my cloth also from Petaling Street. My cases happen in many AD in KL. Luxury leather goods shop served me better than these AD.

Same as me, I am born on 90s with baby face look like Form 5.. Those AD wont even look at me until I said I want this watch. The rado I bought need to show them the thick 14k cash in my bag then only they start to serve with "smiling" face.  :Scolding:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:57:02 AM by rahkshi007 »

Offline jlo

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
i personally have many encounters as such.

My personal 2 cents, never be quick to judge a customer. some people who dress like ahpeks have stacks of cash ready to use. always treat every customer with respect irregardless of how they dress/ carry themselves.

you'll never know how willing a customer is until they whip out that stack of cash/ american express black card.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »
i always believe its in how u carry urself, regardless of what u wear...and that first impression will always rub off on the person u are meeting...be it from a salesman or even going for a job interview...from the way u walk, stand, sit etc.

I think as such too.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
i personally have many encounters as such.

My personal 2 cents, never be quick to judge a customer. some people who dress like ahpeks have stacks of cash ready to use. always treat every customer with respect irregardless of how they dress/ carry themselves.

you'll never know how willing a customer is until they whip out that stack of cash/ american express black card.

i have one...it has become black after swiping too much and the gold color came out  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Clicko

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
These are the many ugly faces of our local ADs. You are only well-served if they know you. As for me it seems I don't get good initial impression or treatment when the salesman who doesn't know me. I am not sure why but I have to say I received better treatment from salesgirl.  ;D Yep, I usually only wear shorts/t-shirt with sandal to browse ADs/boutiques. The best, I wear jeans with t-shirts. I feel, you need to build up some rapport with the salesperson from the very 1st eye contact. Let them know you are 'something' and knowledgeable about watches etc. Then the whole process with be much smoother.

I recently saw a very tanned guy with t-shirt/shorts and slipper browsing for Rolexes in a boutique. Well, this is nothing wrong. All local ADs have to learn to treat each and everyone of us well. We are customers, we are buyers. So, please change your mindset.

Offline Zen8

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »
Sometimes, an AD may be genuinely interested in the watch a customer is wearing.    In your case, it is a classic speedy. Unless, of coz, if the AD was new or totally ignorant about speedy, then the close examinaiton is justifiable.  If nto, what he did was insultive.

Bad mouthing the brand a custcomer is wearing is really a wrong strategy for the AD.   So, serve him right for not getting the sale from you.

Generally, our ADs are quite ignorant about the products they are selling.   Guess the industry has high staff turnover too.   It is not a surprise for ADs not being able to pronounce certain brandnames correctly.   If fact, lot of westerners have the same problem too.  Heard that was the reason the name "Rolex" was chosen for easy pronouciation reason.   But not showing you the watch after knowing the watch you were refering to is a real insult to me.

Offline Shinka

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »
Well I have bought many watches from different ADs in the klang valley, and really I have not seen such a rude and disdainful salesman (branch manager) as the one from AWG one utama.

When I walked in, he was not around and I took quite a liking to an Omega model. So i enquired for the best price from the salesgirl (who is completely ignorant - she thought the planet ocean was called seamaster professional.) Nevertheless, she called the manager on her hp and asked him to get into the shop as a prospective customer is interested.

Once he came in, he looked like one of those young hipsters with those hipster haircuts. Fine, I'm not one to judge a person by his age or haircut. He looked at me, (and by looking, it seems he does not think you will/can afford buy), and took out his calculator. After pressing forawhile, he said No, we cannot do that price.

I said Ok, so whats your best possible discount? He said xxx amount and did not even bother to take the watch out. I requested him to take out the watch so that I can see. He took it out, placed it on the table on said "Buy lah. Price I give you cheap already"

I was already pissed off and this added insult to injury. I then told him, nevermind thank you, and handed him back the watch.
He took the watch back and guess what he did? He examined the watch to see whether I had left any marks on the watch by trying it on, and then SHOOK HIS HEAD.

I have never dealt with such an abhorrent salesman, not to say branch manager. This kind of salesman is the worst kind possible.

Online r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
Speaking of which, I once had on my Sistem51 and was man-handling some Zeniths. Salesguy was staring at my wrist too. Turns out, almost every other salesperson in the store bought one as well; we all had a good, lenghty conversation, and they Whatsapp me when they are on sale, tell me where to buy tools, etc.

While there are certainly the few "bad apples" who gauge you from top to bottom, there clearly are many who also know to read big spending ahpeks, etc. And @Everdying is spot on -- how you carry yourself is also important.

Offline Shinka

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
Speaking of which, I once had on my Sistem51 and was man-handling some Zeniths. Salesguy was staring at my wrist too. Turns out, almost every other salesperson in the store bought one as well; we all had a good, lenghty conversation, and they Whatsapp me when they are on sale, tell me where to buy tools, etc.

While there are certainly the few "bad apples" who gauge you from top to bottom, there clearly are many who also know to read big spending ahpeks, etc. And @Everdying is spot on -- how you carry yourself is also important.

I agree that how one carries himself is important in business situations and interviews, but that does not give the salesperson a right to judge a person from the way he/she carries herself. You are a customer going there to spend money, and not earn their money.