Author Topic: Snobbish watch salesperson  (Read 40146 times)

Offline CKL1213

Re: Snobbish watch salesperson
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »
I know what I want to buy and what am I buying, I don't need someone else tell me what it is and how it works.

The sales person purpose is to bring the watch to me and let me examine it and I negotiate the price with his manager.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2015, 01:52:48 AM »
Why get irritated by some one mistake or ignorance? Just walk off if poor service Dnt let it ruin your day

I wonder as well. Since the members here appear to know / claim to be knowlegable enough about the watches they hope to buy (and are able to properly pronounce Jaeger LeCoultre- like Jerome Lambert  :laugh: :laugh:) why should the saleperson's apparent ignorance trouble you? It surely does not reduce the value of the watch you are hoping to buy, does it?   ???

I think it's the common mindset when one has a potential of committing to a purchase, there's an expectation of the service being rendered, even before any transaction are being done. Flattery is by default, a common expectation from the potential customer.

A more experienced or more dedicated buyer would likely ignore certain level of quality of service, but would instead focus more on acquiring the right product at the right price. Typically, they would go in with very specific requirements. For them staff courtesness would be deemed trivial and less likely to affect their decision making.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:05:46 AM by sidestreaker »

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2015, 06:59:06 AM »
Why get irritated by some one mistake or ignorance? Just walk off if poor service Dnt let it ruin your day

I wonder as well. Since the members here appear to know / claim to be knowlegable enough about the watches they hope to buy (and are able to properly pronounce Jaeger LeCoultre- like Jerome Lambert  :laugh: :laugh:) why should the saleperson's apparent ignorance trouble you? It surely does not reduce the value of the watch you are hoping to buy, does it?   ???

I think it's the common mindset when one has a potential of committing to a purchase, there's an expectation of the service being rendered, even before any transaction are being done. Flattery is by default, a common expectation from the potential customer.

A more experienced or more dedicated buyer would likely ignore certain level of quality of service, but would instead focus more on acquiring the right product at the right price. Typically, they would go in with very specific requirements. For them staff courtesness would be deemed trivial and less likely to affect their decision making.

When we buy a watch, especially those that are so expensive, its a common human instinct to expect good service and knowledgable staff, as it is a huge investment for some of us.

Therefore, if the sales person is rude or totally ignorant, it gives something of a bad taste in your mouth. Hence, to an extent, it does affect whether we buy the watch or not.
Seiko fan.....

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »
Going to an AD is like fishing......either you go to the sea or the market; the end result we want is a fish. By going to the sea, the adventure and the catching of the fish is a memory that one cherish......go to the market, get a fish...not something that we cherish.

Hence the need for representatives in ADs be equipped to handle customers. We want the memories!!

For me, as I am in the service industry, if the service is not up to expectation, i would politely excuse myself and give my custom to another establishment.

The best way to educate is to hit them where it hurts - financially.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
One thing I have learned after hanging out at watch shops and eavesdropping on customer conversations.
You would not believe the number of jokers that come into the shop showing that they are "in the know"
I believe carrying cash and preparing for a purchase on the day is like a spotcheck or an ego trip, depending on your point of view.
Normally a purchase is done before the actual day itself.
Walking in, have a friendly conversation with the SA... inquiring about prices, discounts, availability etc.
Ask for a namecard, keep in mind best prices and so on.
Visit a few ADs... plenty other ADs carrying the same brands.
Carrying loads of cash on an AD visit supposedly "ready" to buy but being put off my SA's apparent snobbishness or attitude?
Fine, walk away, buy from somewhere else.
Or is this just an ego trip?
Like Meor said, shopping for luxury goods is a sum of all it's parts... The whole experience matters.
Price difference of a couple of hundred is worth paying for if the experience is pleasant enough.

Now, did you eventually bought the Black Bay?
And if you did, are you satisfied with the shop that you bought it from?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
Regarding of the pronunciation of Jaeger Le Coultre
The "Jaeger" part is pronounced

"Zhay-zhur" if you read it as a French word.
"Yay-gur" if you read it as a German word.

In other words, both is correct.
And both is acceptable.
What is not acceptable is visiting a bar in Munich asking for a "zhay-zhur bomber"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:04:43 AM by hanz079 »
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »
to make it simple, 3 basic customers behavior or expectation towards sales rep or service on watches.

Type 1 - They know what they want, what the product is capable of, made of, how to pronounce, where it's made, what material is used & etc. They just want to look, touch, feel and examine the real thing in flesh before making the decision to purchase and the main decision only involved One factor - price. If price is right, close deal. Very straight forward customer, won't bother to ask much questions as this type of customers already done their homework.

Type 2 - Same as the above, know everything BUT maybe they seems to know everything, they want to test the sales rep, ask questions like, what it is made of, what material, where? how? when? why? how to pronounce this brand? They seems to want to proof and show that they have better product knowledge than the sales rep and yet they expect the sales rep should able to answer all the questions. Please take note, a normal AD will carry up to hundred different model and this type of customers only know few of his favorite model and what if the sales rep ask him back the same questions on other models? can they answer back like what they expect from a sales rep? Buying decision is not purely based on Price but pop quiz to the sales rep.

Type 3 - They don't know anything, they have cash, they have buying power, they really will ask a lot of stupid question like "you sure this one not made in China arr?" what material arr? Sales rep said 904L, they will answer "oh that one..." in fact they have no idea what it is but it sounds serious and legit to them. They expect coffee, tea, newspaper, wifi password and treat them like royal family and closing a deal is not a problem. This type of customers is best to promote slow moving model to help company clear old stocks as they don't what they are buying.

Type 2 + a little bit Type 3 - The most dangerous customers, they know everything, they will find you and they will test you, if sales you are looking for, then they have a set of particular skills that will make you suffer, they will ask you pronounce correctly and they will expect royal treatment, and yet they might not want to buy from you. Good Luck.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »

When we buy a watch, especially those that are so expensive, its a common human instinct to expect good service and knowledgable staff, as it is a huge investment for some of us.

Therefore, if the sales person is rude or totally ignorant, it gives something of a bad taste in your mouth. Hence, to an extent, it does affect whether we buy the watch or not.

I can partially agree to your statement. Allow me to paint this scenario.

As mentioned by CKL1213, if one is serious enough to commit to an expensive watch that would sum up to a large investment, he/she would have done enough homework, (customer Type 1). He would have called ahead in-advance to confirm the availability of the model wanted, acquire names and contact details and finally make an appointment to come to the boutique and do the inspection and finally seal the deal.

When this customer arrives in the boutique at an agreed time, HE LEAVES NO ROOM for any rude behavior, as he would ask for the name of the person whom he has spoken to and request to see the merchandise immediately. The appropriate conduct would come out naturally from the salesperson as at this point, as he would realize that this is a serious buyer. Strictly business.

After that, casual browsing and small talks may follow on.

Lately, I have been conducting all my purchases this way. I have no expectation on how they treat me and hence no disappointment. I just want to purchase the watch I like with the beast deal that I can find.

Regardless of whether I seal the deal or not, majority of the salespersons I came across are nice to begin with. Some are more enthusiastic than others and some are proud to educate their customer with the knowledge they have.

Carrying loads of cash on an AD visit supposedly "ready" to buy but being put off my SA's apparent snobbishness or attitude?

I too have problem trying to comprehend this big cash business, especially when buying from and AD/boutique. I can understand the need to avoid service charge and tax from a payment/credit card, it is still a small sum to pay for convenience and better security for a large transaction.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:07:06 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline Calibr

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 07:39:26 AM »
Anyone with unhappy experience with grey dealers to share?  8)

Offline axaxax

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
Personally, whenever I encounter bad service, i would just politely ask to change either another sales person or speak to the manager. My opinion, if you allow certain individual to cheese you off from buying a watch, then your intention might not be 100% for to buy the watch. Maybe 50% watch & 50% ego booster?(but whats wrong? isn't that how watchmakers are able to sell those expensive "f*ck off" timepieces?) But then again, ultimate loser of bad customer service is the the shop. Understandable, when you've bought a Benz, you would expect Benz's excellent customer service and after sales (http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/07/12/benz-windscreen-smash-woman/). Selling a product now a days goes beyond just having the right product at the right place but how you market the product to help your client achieve their aspirations or reflect who they are.

Some of the people working in these AD treat this as a 9-5 job while WIS wants a salesman that share their passion and understanding regarding the watch. Difference in expectation leads to disappointment. Plus you cant obtain 100% information on the web when doing purchase research. Usually an experienced sales person would able to provide some feedback (technically aspect of the watch) and assure you that that particular watch is suitable for you (or not). That why, when I find a good sales person, I always try to cultivate them by introducing friends to buy from them.

2cents

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2015, 10:36:36 PM »
One thing I have learned after hanging out at watch shops and eavesdropping on customer conversations.
You would not believe the number of jokers that come into the shop showing that they are "in the know"
I believe carrying cash and preparing for a purchase on the day is like a spotcheck or an ego trip, depending on your point of view.
Walking in, have a friendly conversation with the SA... inquiring about prices, discounts, availability etc.
Like Meor said, shopping for luxury goods is a sum of all it's parts... The whole experience matters.
Price difference of a couple of hundred is worth paying for if the experience is pleasant enough.

Sorry but how is it an ego trip when the SA took my watch without my permission and proceed to check it out while I was trying on the black bay?

I put down my watch to try the watch he took out from the cabinet. And 99.9999% of the time, a sales assistant would just leave the watch there on the counter. Unless of course, the SA suspected that I was wearing a replica and he wanted to call me out on wearing a fake watch. And when he found out that I was wearing a genuine watch, he quickly covered his tracks by telling me some rubbish.

I don't find his behavior befitting of my business regardless on whether if you think it is an ego trip or not. I have, on numerous occasions, bought watches from numerous AD's without shopping around for better deals as I already have a rough idea on the discounts that can be offered.

To take a man's watch without permission or asking first and inspecting it thoroughly is an insult. It is akin to a Jaguar salesman opening the hood of a guy's Mercedes without his permission and did a check on the chassis number just because the salesperson thinks the customer cannot afford a Mercedes through legal means, let alone a Jaguar.
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2015, 06:56:05 AM »

Sorry but how is it an ego trip when the SA took my watch without my permission and proceed to check it out while I was trying on the black bay?

I put down my watch to try the watch he took out from the cabinet. And 99.9999% of the time, a sales assistant would just leave the watch there on the counter. Unless of course, the SA suspected that I was wearing a replica and he wanted to call me out on wearing a fake watch. And when he found out that I was wearing a genuine watch, he quickly covered his tracks by telling me some rubbish.

I don't find his behavior befitting of my business regardless on whether if you think it is an ego trip or not. I have, on numerous occasions, bought watches from numerous AD's without shopping around for better deals as I already have a rough idea on the discounts that can be offered.

To take a man's watch without permission or asking first and inspecting it thoroughly is an insult. It is akin to a Jaguar salesman opening the hood of a guy's Mercedes without his permission and did a check on the chassis number just because the salesperson thinks the customer cannot afford a Mercedes through legal means, let alone a Jaguar.

The ego trip did not start when the SA checked out your watch.
I am not too sure though.
Maybe you can be more specific.
I would not mind the SA checking out my watch when I place it on the tray to try out a new watch.
Some ppl are easily offended by stuff like these... I am not one of them though.

When you mention he found out that your watch is a genuine, what exactly did he say to cover his tracks?
Actually, what makes you suspect that the SA is thinking that you're wearing a fake?
Did he scoff at your watch or etc?
Whole thing doesn't sound so right...

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2015, 08:35:55 AM »

To take a man's watch in front of him without permission is unusual and perhaps rude. 
But perhaps he's a WIS? Or maybe he is not a WIS but just curious?
Yes, I think its a little rude.  But to conclude that he was actually doing a fake-buster inspection? Well, much depends on what he actually said. 

Also, perhaps when he commented that the speedmaster is the only Omega worth collecting, he was actually in mode of praising the wonderful moon watch and not actually criticising Omega as a whole?

`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
my take on this is, like the Chinese proverb "real gold is not afraid of the test of fire". i've never worn or bought any fake or dubious luxury stuffs so i'm not afraid or feel disrespected if anyone would like to inspect them closer, provided they handle it with care...

also, i've never encountered rude sales persons in the last decade or two...perhaps i look like a gullible person who would buy anything they sell?  ;D

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »

And both is acceptable.
What is not acceptable is visiting a bar in Munich asking for a "zhay-zhur bomber"

We are not French or German or Swiss. Let's get real.

Jaeger LeCoultre is pronounced "Jay-El-See". That's more than enough even when you are visiting Geneve or Zurich.

Likewise, Audemars Piguet is pronounced "Ae-Pea". Damn, I caught the AP bug again... :-\

Vacheron Constantin is "Vee-See". Everybody understands.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 10:10:52 AM »

And both is acceptable.

We are not French or German or Swiss. Let's get real.

Jaeger LeCoultre is pronounced "Jay-El-See". That's more than enough even when you are visiting Geneve or Zurich.

Likewise, Audemars Piguet is pronounced "Ae-Pea". Damn, I caught the AP bug again... :-\

Vacheron Constantin is "Vee-See". Everybody understands.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah man... I totally forgot about that.
"Jay-El-See" is totally acceptable, perfectly understandable.... hahahaha

Offline Lurch

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »
Agree that to some it is an ego trip, purposely testing sales persons knowledge with technical questions is one of the common
ways I've encountered. Come on, give the sales person a break. U expect them to memorise specs for every single watches in the showroom?
I'd gladly let a reputable AD handle my watch if he asks permission first
Assuming he was questioning the genuinity of your watch, perhaps u were over sensitive?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:58:56 PM by Lurch »

Offline harkensng

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »

The moral of the story: a young looking guy in shorts and t-shirt could probably afford to pay cash for watches than some conman in a three piece suit. So, don't judge a book by its cover. As for me, I am going back to my regular AD, whom will serve me drinks and wine when they see me approaching their outlet.

bro...sure or not? Serving wine?

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2015, 07:17:22 PM »

The moral of the story: a young looking guy in shorts and t-shirt could probably afford to pay cash for watches than some conman in a three piece suit. So, don't judge a book by its cover. As for me, I am going back to my regular AD, whom will serve me drinks and wine when they see me approaching their outlet.

That's for me to know and for you to find out.  ;D
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline dpkong

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »
Hmm... interesting thread indeed.

Friedricetheman, who carries wads of cash (probably from just today's sales) to buy a watch, gets bad service from salesman after having his watch given the once over by the said salesman. And said salesman won't let him fondle a more expensive watch because salesman thinks he's a char-kway-teow seller when maybe he's actually a fried rice seller but really a chartered accountant hoping to work in Singapore.

So off he goes to his regular AD who serves him wine since they're regular customers and get treated well because they only deal in cash like his friend who operates a <cough/probably illegal/cough> online casino..

Wonder how the 700k house purchase got looked over by LHDN or maybe they also pay their 400k+ yearly taxes in cash as well....

But seriously, who brings cash to an AD unless..... And don't like credit cards? Last I remember, cheques are acceptable.

I do not see how a salesman looking at your watch is offensive unless he was handling it badly. How certain are you that he thought it was a fake unless he made such a comment? And saying that it was a collectable Omega does not sound insulting at all.

My wife says I'm a sloppy dresser. T-shirt, jeans and slippers are my favourite everywhere. A salesman at the RM boutique @Starhill offered me to try and wear a 500k watch for about half an hour (yes, it was that hard to take off) while we talked about their range of watches. A friend with me was ignored simply because of the comments he made about the price/brand etc. Telling them a Casio tells time just as well is a no-no  :HammerHead:

It's not about how much cash you have, whether you REALLY want to buy a watch or if you can afford it or not. A good salesman will know how to size up a potential sale to weed out those who come in only to feel and play with the watches and those who have a genuine interest regardless if you are buying or not today.

When I walk into an AD, I don't expect fantastic service or drinks. Those come when you say the magic words "OK, I'll take this one" and only if it's expensive. You walk in, look around and see if anyone is interested to entertain you. If not, browse till your heart's content and leave.

Eventually it's how you carry yourself and your self-confidence that determines the respect you get. And do not forget to respect them as well even if you think they're only salesmen.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
Well, I'll give the T.S my benefit of  doubt regarding the wine thingy. Cause I had been offered crazier things like free trips and some pretty indecent proposals. ;D

But never took any of those freebies, more interested in the watch itself and the available discount. Well even my wifey thinks I'm  nutty vesting so much on watches but not on other stuff to upgrade status, aka ego.

I guess I'm just a freaking weirdo that loves watches more then other manly pursuit like cars or super bikes.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »

So, don't judge a book by its cover. As for me, I am going back to my regular AD, whom will serve me drinks and wine when they see me approaching their outlet.

It appears the TS is describing a shop selling toddy and not a shop selling Tudor. Hmmm....I wonder if it has a proper liquor license; from the TS' riddle-like answer immediately above, I suspect it has not. Probably a shop dealing with black market toddy instead of Black Bay Tudor....  ;) ;)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »

It appears the TS is describing a shop selling toddy and not a shop selling Tudor. Hmmm....I wonder if it has a proper liquor license; from the TS' riddle-like answer immediately above, I suspect it has not. Probably a shop dealing with black market toddy instead of Black Bay Tudor....  ;) ;)

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2015, 07:54:21 PM »

Well, I'll give the T.S my benefit of  doubt regarding the wine thingy. Cause I had been offered crazier things like free trips and some pretty indecent proposals. ;D

Could you PM me the AD you mentioned? And how indecent were the proposals? Mind sharing as that would be more interesting than the salesman bashing we are having now...

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
Hmm... interesting thread indeed.

Wow!!! It's Donald the Taikor from Kuching!!!

What happened to you all these months? Yes, we have not had such an interesting thread for a long long long long time. The electrifying dose of surrealism must have woken you from your hibernation.  :laugh: :laugh: But this is a truly classic thread, in the same class as Harry Potter and LOTR.... :thumbsup:

Welcome back!!!!  :Cheers: