Author Topic: Travel Watch  (Read 9050 times)

Offline Alice

Travel Watch
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
Hi ,

Like your frank opinions on "travelling watch". Something robust,tough yet elegant. Able to withstand harsh condition. Cold,hot , humid and perhaps sandy condition. GMT a must.

Thank you
Alice

Offline David_cheong

Re: Travel Watch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
Alice;

Suggest;
a) Rolex GMT
b) Tudor GMT
c) Sinn GMT

All are tough, all terrain and no nonsense watches.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline zuki

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »
When I first saw the subject title, I thought it is regarding travel clock...something popular here too for business man who got always outstation and staying at hotel...although people now use handphone, or even morning call from hotel room, but it is kind of style to use travel clock (or travel alarm clock) here. I myself dream to have one branded travel clock...see a nice one at Montblanc boutique the other day... http://www.montblanc.com/products/travel_timepieces_travel_clock.05708.php:)

Offline JPSP

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »
Hi ,

Like your frank opinions on "travelling watch". Something robust,tough yet elegant. Able to withstand harsh condition. Cold,hot , humid and perhaps sandy condition. GMT a must.

Thank you
Alice

hi alice, not sure if it's for yourself or your partner...

it's kinda difficult to find an elegant and yet robust GMT watch n the market for a lady IMHO . My votes in order of preference are:

1. JLC Squadra (go for ladies or men size...mind you, the men size is really not very big on a lady's wrist) - strongly recommended.
2. Ulysse Nardin San Marco GMT - mother of pearl dial, automatic movement and patented easiest to use time adjustment method by simply pressing +/- pushers to adjust the 2nd time zone hand unlike all other GMT watches that need winding of the GMT hands - strongly recommended
3. Glycine Airman 18 (it's a automatic watch, only 3 timezone watch for ladies in the market, value for $$ and you can play around with strap to make it more "elegant" depending on what's the colour of the dial)

here's are the pics of ladies Glycine and UN (sorry don't have JLC) for your consideration:

UN San Marco (the GMT +/- pushers are on the other side of the watch and you can't see them because of the position of the watch during photographing) 

if it's for a man, i think rolex or panerai would be it...

here's what i've:

1. Glycine Airman 17 (bigger size - 46mm compared to above pic of Airman 18)

2. Pam 88

3. Ulysse Nardin Quadrato

cheers

james
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:40:02 PM by JPSP »

Offline peanut

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »
I like the Glycine Airman 17 as a travel watch.  I was looking at Rolex Explorer II as a travel watch but one trip with Scott to Cortina and this is what I ended up with   :)   
It does not have GMT (my Iphone will do) but I am sure it is rugged and sporty enough   ;D

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
i think u need a ball...

good water resistant...

good shock resistant...

anti magnetic...

night readability...

-40 degree celcious endurance....

what watch hv all above?

ball engineer hydrocarbon

or if u need world time, this 1

Offline Alice

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
Thank you guys for the wonderful suggestions.

David: Love those watches esp the Rolex Exp or Sub. Being eyeing for it since my scuba diving days.  Very practical selections and will  definately will consider. Like you said....Its tough and no nonsense but a little flashy(the place where I am going to travel....)  Sinn or Tudor is more like it.

James : Am getting the watch for myself.  No bling bling this time.....and thanks for the pic enclosed. Very elegant indeed. Especially like the Ulysse Nardin San Marco GMT. The  Glycine Airman 18 looks tough. How much does it cost?

Chris:Guess what ....we are thinking on the same wave length. Ball is practical, less flashy, tough and not so expensive ( at least I won't get mugged ) but it looks kind of big and heavy. Is it?

Once again thanks for kind reviews and sugestions. More are welcome. Just don't want to make a wrong choice.

Cheers ,
Alice

Offline sshark

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »
How about Seiko GMT perpetual calendar? High precision quartz with easy 12h hand adjust like Exp2. also, it just skips from 28th Feb to 1st Mac (non leap year) automatically :)

pic borrowed.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
the untimate travel clock/watch?

try this for size....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1240526126/You+see+a+travel+clock-----I+see+my+new+watch---

strap it o ur wrist or leave it on the bedside table.. either way.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 03:20:55 AM »
but honestly one of the more affordable and easiest to use GMT watches with a touch of class as well is the IWC Spitfire UTC.

like the UN you can instantly know the second time zone by jsut a glance on the face. there;s not need to track the GMT hands like the Rolex GMT or even my Sinn 857.

really affordable in the pre-loved market and also great build quality to boot.

for a "3 hands" GMT time indicator watches..setting the second time zone is a pain unless it;s a Rolex or any watches with an independent hour hands setting.

come sin both black or silver dial

Silver "smiley" dial

Black "frowny" dial
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 04:57:55 AM »
Another vote for the IWC.
I for one dont like another hand which sometimes "confuses" me haha.
Thus the UN is a good choice as well.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 05:55:12 AM »

Chris:Guess what ....we are thinking on the same wave length. Ball is practical, less flashy, tough and not so expensive ( at least I won't get mugged ) but it looks kind of big and heavy. Is it?

not so big for above 2 watches... 40mm... worry bout weight? change that to rubber strap then u can climb up to mountain, dive into deep sea!
ball rubber strap is one of the best.... light n durable....

Offline JPSP

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 06:07:29 AM »
Thank you guys for the wonderful suggestions.

David: Love those watches esp the Rolex Exp or Sub. Being eyeing for it since my scuba diving days.  Very practical selections and will  definately will consider. Like you said....Its tough and no nonsense but a little flashy(the place where I am going to travel....)  Sinn or Tudor is more like it.

James : Am getting the watch for myself.  No bling bling this time.....and thanks for the pic enclosed. Very elegant indeed. Especially like the Ulysse Nardin San Marco GMT. The  Glycine Airman 18 looks tough. How much does it cost?

Once again thanks for kind reviews and sugestions. More are welcome. Just don't want to make a wrong choice.

Cheers ,
Alice

Hey Alice,

for Airman 18 (ladies size)...i got it during The Hour Glass Sale last year and paid SG$950 for it...after 60% disc. there's a sale last month and the discount has dropped to 50%. It's a real nice piece with cream dial..think it's suitable for a lady.

Offline JPSP

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 06:09:39 AM »
I like the Glycine Airman 17 as a travel watch.  I was looking at Rolex Explorer II as a travel watch but one trip with Scott to Cortina and this is what I ended up with   :)   
It does not have GMT (my Iphone will do) but I am sure it is rugged and sporty enough   ;D

this is terrible...really way out of focus!! i reckon Scott our resident evil who played a pivotal role in getting you to buy this piece huh?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline peanut

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:19 AM »
James,

Actually Scott wanted me to get the IWC BP (which I like)   :thumbsup:   but since I also always wanted the Port Auto 7 Days, I couldn't decide.  So in order not to take side and be biased, I decided to take the nice AP RO   ;D

Offline Alice

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »
Thank you guys.... love the reviews and suggestions. My only regret....I should have listen to Scott. Instead of buying Pam 48, I should have bought Pam 88  :Blue

Alice

Offline Alice

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:20:55 AM »
How about Seiko GMT perpetual calendar? High precision quartz with easy 12h hand adjust like Exp2. also, it just skips from 28th Feb to 1st Mac (non leap year) automatically :)

pic borrowed.

Hi Shark,

How much does it cost?

:Cheers:
Alice

Offline collatzer

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »

pic borrowed
pic borrowed
pic borrowed
pic borrowed

Offline Alice

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »

pic borrowed
pic borrowed
pic borrowed
pic borrowed

wow....what watch is tat? Splendid  :thumbsup:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
That would be a Patek World Timer i think.
Saw one still sealed asking RM80k plus i think. Or was it 180k? forgot liao

Offline sshark

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 07:36:47 PM »

Offline collatzer

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:18 AM »
That would be a Patek World Timer i think.
Saw one still sealed asking RM80k plus i think. Or was it 180k? forgot liao
patek 5131.