Author Topic: Oris or Ball ??  (Read 56429 times)

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Re: Oris or Ball ??
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »
James Bond wore Seiko?? Wow, cool man!!  :Cheers:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2013, 01:41:12 AM »

Yes he did

Offline ice pop

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2013, 06:23:37 AM »
design is brand oris but talking about lumo ball is the king of lumo cut the story short if I take ball the only reason is the lumo but if  say quality and brand of course oris .

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:25 PM »

Pls share with us if you have any other point of view. This is part of the marketing by sponsoring. For example Omega will not be famous without James Bond and NASA .

this is part of ppl being duped by marketing.
before NASA even, Omega was already quite popular.
JFK wore an Omega, so did Elvis.

so its not that it wasnt already popular, but arguably Bond did help to revive Omega for a newer generation.

Yes, that's what happened. In fact, Bond wore Rolex initially before switching to Omega.

You guys make me cry :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

From Omegas wikipedia page:
Britain's Royal Flying Corps chose Omega watches in 1917 as its official timekeepers for its combat units, as did the American army in 1918. Omega watches were the choice of NASA and the first watch on the Moon in 1969. Omega has been the official timekeeping device of the Olympic Games since 1932. Famous Omega wearers, past and present, include John F. Kennedy, Prince William, and Buzz Aldrin.

Omega has been a major watch company over the past century. To claim that James Bond "revived" Omega and made it famous again is like claiming Rodger Federer endorsing Rolex revived it as a major brand! You got to have some perspective here. Abang James only started wearing Omegas from Pierce Brosnan's era (Goldeneye, 1995); before then Bond was wearing Submariners, Seikos, generic digital watches and gadgets that looked like watches but were actually buzz saws, super electromagnets, radios, geiger counters, etc.

Omega's involvement with the James Bond franchise is in the form of product placement advertising.

Advertising by it's very nature is extremely public, prominent and may be very important but it is only one aspect that makes up the public image of a brand. I am not a marketing student but I do know this. You can advertise the hell out of crap but if it doesn't have QUALITY leading to a GOOD REPUTATION and the difficult to describe quantity, "good word of mouth"  - it can never endure. If you don't have the product legacy and quality there in the first place, there is nothing to revive.

James Bond is Omega's flashy advertisement; but it is only a small aspect the brand's totality - even if you just consider the younger generation. To describe it as a major driver of the brand is like the tail wagging the dog.

PS:
Oris vs Ball?
Quality wise, I will choose Oris.
I own several examples of Oris watches and one (and only one) Ball.
No, I didn't look at the ads. Oris' watches are solid quality designs, whereas Ball designs are a jarringly odd mix of classical design with H3 gas tubes. I also think the build quality of Oris watches to be better.

PPS:
I originally voted for Ball but Oris has grown in my esteem.

u're right. Even before abang James, Omega is already a major watch company. But then, I don't think the brand positioning is as strong as now. Also, didn't the Quartz crisis diminish the interest in mechanical watches like Omega along with other watch companies? Ads and product placement in movies helped to renewed the interest in the Omega brand and I think that's what Glampyre is trying to convey. Not that abang James is the SOLE reason the brand is revived(from the context he's speaking of). No need to facepalm like that

Offline amir1218

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
I'd vote for Oris. I like their design better compared to Ball.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
I prefer Oris too. Looks more refined, although I must say I am not at all familiar with Ball models.

There's an Oris booth at newly renovated old wing of 1U.
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline aum1

• Freshie
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2013, 01:14:26 AM »
Ball over Oris any day.

Price point-wise too, it's more expensive. The starting Ball model is a couple of grand more expensive than an entry Oris model

Offline herng0326

• Freshie
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »
i will definitely chooose Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon

Offline Sunriver

• Freshie
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
I have to pick Oris especially the Artelier Skeleton.... damn that's a nice watch.

Got the ladies version too....  :Cheers: can buy as couple set  :Dancing_banana:

Peace..

Offline johnthe692006

• Freshie
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
oris better. own ball before and now having an oris diver. if fancy of those tritium. can try deepblue

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »
i was in KL past weekend and saw promotion in Pavilion till the 16th .which is tomorrow. You get xx% off from list price. And i was so attracted to the Ball engineer II world time. Yes its a big watch but for those who don't mind, its an automatic, diver, world time and day date. Definitely worth every single penny, is a bargain i must say !! . Didn't really looked at oris though ..
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:08:20 AM by ck77 »

Offline sjh314

• Freshie
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »
for me i choose ballbatch unless u r buy a diver watch maybe oris will be better :)

Offline ckk125

• Freshie
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2013, 06:07:08 AM »
i was in KL past weekend and saw promotion in Pavilion till the 16th .which is tomorrow. You get xx% off from list price. And i was so attracted to the Ball engineer II world time. Yes its a big watch but for those who don't mind, its an automatic, diver, world time and day date. Definitely worth every single penny, is a bargain i must say !! . Didn't really looked at oris though ..

Was in midvalley and they are giving vv good discount for ball watches..way more than usual,almost staff purchase since they are clearing stock.

Offline chenht

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »
I would go for ORIS between the two. No offense to Ball owners and just my personal opinion, Ball looks ugly to me.
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline yohannes86

• Freshie
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »
Ball over Oris anyday.

Just a matter of personal preference.

Ball watches are :
-comfortable, durable, suitable for everday wear, pretty well built, and last but not least, love the glow from the tritium !

Offline hacksrider

« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
i vote for ORIS

Offline fantasywatch2

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »
i would go for ball i have 4 balls , you can buy the fireman racer dlc very nice bro

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »

Yes he did

Oops missed this. Cool indeed... Haven't come across these watches before. Must have become collectibles

Offline Badrul HM

• Freshie
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
I'll vote Oris.

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
Try this one if you want a more classic looking Oris. This one resembles the original Big Crown Pointer Date.

Offline mydoven

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »
Oris, is the one between 2 of them.

Offline nicholaslee

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »
I'd vote for Ball. Pretty solid watches that withstand adverse conditions. But both brands are good.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
Hi MWF,

Im new here, i planning to buy my 1st swiss watch, my budget less than 6k. i have no idea which brand is better.
after i meet Mr. David at 1Mont Kiara, he advise me oris or ball is a good start (thank for the sharing & advise me ) :) ,
and now i got few models in my mind

ORIS
-Oris TT1 Day Date
-Oris Artelier Skeleton

BALL
-Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon
-Ball Fireman

or any other brand or model is under my budget? need some advise from sifu2 MWF.

ps:Please PM me if got any recommended shop can get more discount in Klang Valley, TQ :Cheers:

Thank MWF!

Just choose Ball EHC :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
if compare the Movement? which 1 better?  i really no idea about the ETA Movement  ???

BALL Fireman :Automatic caliber ETA 2824-2 (i cant find the detail...)

Oris TT1 Day Date :
Dimensions:         Ø 25.60 mm, 11 1/2’’’
Functions:             Centre hands for hours, minutes and seconds, individual date and day windows,
                         instantaneous date and day, date and day corrector, fine timing device and stop-second
Winding:             Automatic winding, bi-directionally rotating red rotor
Power-Reserve:     38 hrs
Vibrations:             28’800 A/h, 4 Hz
Jewels:             26

Oris 26 jewel movement is SW200 known as Selita. Oris shock resistance is almost non-existence.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
Ball seems a bit over-priced.. owned one basic model before, std ETA movement, nice lume from the gas cylinders which is still a marketing gimmick, or product innovation (depends on how one sees it). Oris would be a better buy in my opinion.

Saw an  Oris dropped from 30cm height in action and could not survive.