Author Topic: Oris or Ball ??  (Read 56196 times)

Offline stevehenrry

Re: Oris or Ball ??
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2013, 03:28:59 PM »
Both are amazing watches but without a second thought, I will recommend the Oris Artelier Skeleton to you because it is best for you. Its design is one of the most attractive and main thing that its original price is $1,565 which will be easily get at amazon online store.

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2013, 08:20:06 PM »
Sinbad2k..When u said Oris is many level above Ball can u please explain further? Do u mean that Oris is on par with the likes of Omega,IWC,Zenith,Panerai etc?  :Confused:

Oris is a few level above Ball but still far behind the likes of Omega, IWC, Zenith, Panerai, etc.. For luxury watches, Ball, Tissot, Mido, Certina, etc.. are entry level luxury. If we go higher a bit between medium and high luxury, we'll have brand like Oris, Mont Blanc, etc. Another level higher, we have brands like Tag Heuer, Longines, Rado,Baume & Mercier, Gucci, Chanel, etc. And then, for high-end luxury, we have the brands that you've listed....Omega, Zenith, IWC, Officine Panerai, Breitling, Hublot, Bvlgari,Chopard, Cartier etc.  And finally, for exclusive luxury, there are brands like Rolex, Piaget, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Audemars Piguet, Ulysse Nardin, Blancpain, Vacheron Constatin, Breguet and the "king" of all luxury watches, Patek Phillipe.

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
Sinbad2k..When u said Oris is many level above Ball can u please explain further? Do u mean that Oris is on par with the likes of Omega,IWC,Zenith,Panerai etc?  :Confused:

Oris is a few level above Ball but still far behind the likes of Omega, IWC, Zenith, Panerai, etc.. For luxury watches, Ball, Tissot, Mido, Certina, etc.. are entry level luxury. If we go higher a bit between medium and high luxury, we'll have brand like Oris, Mont Blanc, etc. Another level higher, we have brands like Tag Heuer, Longines, Rado,Baume & Mercier, Gucci, Chanel, etc. And then, for high-end luxury, we have the brands that you've listed....Omega, Zenith, IWC, Officine Panerai, Breitling, Hublot, Bvlgari,Chopard, Cartier etc.  And finally, for exclusive luxury, there are brands like Rolex, Piaget, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Audemars Piguet, Ulysse Nardin, Blancpain, Vacheron Constatin, Breguet and the "king" of all luxury watches, Patek Phillipe.

Sindab2k :Wow , never knew Ball is at the lower end :Confused: , how did you measure ? the movement ? the build ?

What about grand seiko ? which category would you categorize it ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:18:56 AM by RaymondT »

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

Sindab2k :Wow , never knew Ball is at the lower end :Confused: , how did you measure ? the movement ? the build ?

What about grand seiko ? which category would you categorize it ?

It's not me who "measure" this. I've read all about these from various forums and articles for some time now. Also, just last weekend I went to a shop (which is owned directly by the largest watchmaker in the world), the salesperson explained these to me as well and even took out a file with a pyramid chart showing all the brands' (within that watch company) position in the market and it's quite the same as what I've read so far. Considering the fact that the shop is owned directly by that company, I reckon the data he showed me is very reliable.

Generally, it's the build quality and finishing, features, materials used to make the watch that determines the brand position in the market. The salesperson showed me an entry level watch and a high-range watch and compared it side by side for it's design, level of detailed and finishing and indeed the high-range one is better in every aspect. Along these physical attributes, the more important ones that determine the brand position are brand name itself, heritage,prestige, design sophistication and culture.

Movement-wise, if you're talking about in-house movement, then yes, that also determines the "level" of that watch.

I'm not sure how Grand Seiko fits into the luxury watch market since it's using Japanese movement. The market favours Swiss made watches since it carries the tech,prestige,quality and long history of Swiss watchmaking. Don't get me wrong though. technology wise, Seiko watches are just as good as Swiss watches. Their SpringDrive movement which produce the true smooth sweeping motion of the seconds hand is unparalleled compared to Swiss' beats per time unit movement. Their finishing and quality are just as good as their Swiss peers and price-wise it's on par with exclusive luxury range but then they simply don't have enough of the other non-physical attributes.

For the same price range, between an Omega and Grand Seiko, I'd prefer Omega to GS simply because of Omega's prestige. Not sure how other ppl think but that's how I see it.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »
Also, just last weekend I went to a shop (which is owned directly by the largest watchmaker in the world)

largest watchmaker in the world? Swatch?

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
Also, just last weekend I went to a shop (which is owned directly by the largest watchmaker in the world)

largest watchmaker in the world? Swatch?

Yup. :thumbsup:

Offline wei2011

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
For me I'll go for Ball Watch Firemen Storm Chaser Chrono :thumbsup:

Offline Quasimodo

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
My money's on Oris.

Offline Joashes

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
Oris...

Offline Calibr

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
Ball seems a bit over-priced.. owned one basic model before, std ETA movement, nice lume from the gas cylinders which is still a marketing gimmick, or product innovation (depends on how one sees it). Oris would be a better buy in my opinion.

Offline infinityws

• Freshie
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
with RM 6k, you can consider Tag Heuer Aquaracer too. It's the safest bet. I think most watches uses ETA movement as a base.

I think most importantly, you have to go try out the watches. Your basic instinct will tell you which one is better and get that. You can't obviously go wrong with them. They are reputable brands.

Offline ruhaizal

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
Dunno whether it has been posted before, anyway, happy reading guys... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/ranking-watch-brands-price-revised-755635.html

Offline chenht

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »
ORIS looks much more elegant than Ball IMHO
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
ORIS - wow ! The rotor is painted in red!
Ball - boooo... It's covered, nothing to see ! Antimagnetic

Oris - f1 driver wear it, when go on the podium n press conference
Ball - ada gd shock resistant, but can't get into f1 car...

Offline cspoh001

• Freshie
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »
Well both Oris and Ball considered as the same category. It is your self preference. Both Oris and Ball have their own spec and design. So it is up to you which one you like the most. Ball is famous for its micro gas light which is very nice when you see it during night time. The built quality is very nice and I still love mine very much cos it was my first expensive watch. Whereby ORIS is famous in motorsport racing and diving.

My conclusion is buy the watch you like rather than others like. Our opinion is just for your reference.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
Whereby ORIS is famous in motorsport racing and diving.

famous in motorsport because they sponsored Williams F1 team since 2003?

famous in diving because you saw their nice display of diving watches with changeable rubber straps supplied with cool looking tools and little black briefcast?

Offline proxyserv

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »
I kinda like the lume on Ball watches however I am not sure about Oris. I think the Power Reserve and Cannonball models from the Ball Trainmaster series are quite nice.

Offline cspoh001

• Freshie
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:49 AM »

famous in diving because you saw their nice display of diving watches with changeable rubber straps supplied with cool looking tools and little black briefcast?

Pls share with us if you have any other point of view. This is part of the marketing by sponsoring. For example Omega will not be famous without James Bond and NASA .

Offline Everdying

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:24 AM »

Pls share with us if you have any other point of view. This is part of the marketing by sponsoring. For example Omega will not be famous without James Bond and NASA .

this is part of ppl being duped by marketing.
before NASA even, Omega was already quite popular.
JFK wore an Omega, so did Elvis.

so its not that it wasnt already popular, but arguably Bond did help to revive Omega for a newer generation.

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 09:35:21 AM »

so its not that it wasnt already popular, but arguably Bond did help to revive Omega for a newer generation.

Yes, that's what happened. In fact, Bond wore Rolex initially before switching to Omega.

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
Dunno whether it has been posted before, anyway, happy reading guys... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/ranking-watch-brands-price-revised-755635.html

Check this out.... it's 2009 data but still relevant : http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php?topic=6979.0

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »

First of all, let's get things clear, I'm not attacking Oris here, I'm rather focusing on the point you've made that you said Oris is famous in motorsports racing and diving and I asked why and you said is because of Marketing.

But think carefully, I could be wrong, but I guess when you mentioned about motorsport racing and relate to watches, I think the first one that come to people's mind will be "Tag Heuer, Daytona" and as for diving will be "Submariner, Seiko Divers"

I don't think Oris is famous in motorsport racing and diving (even thought they really sponsored F1 and some deep diving dude) people just don't know and associate the brand Oris to motorsport racing and diving, consider their Marketing department failed.

Please take note I did not mentioned anything about Oris built quality, I'm sure they are well built and I think Oris is value for money, Oris is a great watch.

Offline cspoh001

• Freshie
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
That's why I said famous but never mentioned the best or good in. Marketing is the way to make the brand name well known and become famous.  Well is ok. Everyone could share their point of view. That's the forum for. :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:38:03 AM by cspoh001 »

Offline wealthbowl

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
Another vote goes to the Ball.

I guess at that range, you're spoiled with choices! Apart from Oris and Ball, there are Longines, Raymond, Baume, Tag, (even) Tudor and many more!

At the end of the day, the best choice is something you really look forward to put on everyday. I am sure you have a desired one already, go for it - follow your heart!

You'll end up doing more research (after purchasing!) on your next purchase - if you buy based on recommendations, rather than your own desire. In otherwords, you'll feel sort of unsettled.

go for it!

*Personal experience*

Offline STT1987

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »

Yes, that's what happened. In fact, Bond wore Rolex initially before switching to Omega.

You guys make me cry :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

From Omegas wikipedia page:
Britain's Royal Flying Corps chose Omega watches in 1917 as its official timekeepers for its combat units, as did the American army in 1918. Omega watches were the choice of NASA and the first watch on the Moon in 1969. Omega has been the official timekeeping device of the Olympic Games since 1932. Famous Omega wearers, past and present, include John F. Kennedy, Prince William, and Buzz Aldrin.

Omega has been a major watch company over the past century. To claim that James Bond "revived" Omega and made it famous again is like claiming Rodger Federer endorsing Rolex revived it as a major brand! You got to have some perspective here. Abang James only started wearing Omegas from Pierce Brosnan's era (Goldeneye, 1995); before then Bond was wearing Submariners, Seikos, generic digital watches and gadgets that looked like watches but were actually buzz saws, super electromagnets, radios, geiger counters, etc.

Omega's involvement with the James Bond franchise is in the form of product placement advertising.

Advertising by it's very nature is extremely public, prominent and may be very important but it is only one aspect that makes up the public image of a brand. I am not a marketing student but I do know this. You can advertise the hell out of crap but if it doesn't have QUALITY leading to a GOOD REPUTATION and the difficult to describe quantity, "good word of mouth"  - it can never endure. If you don't have the product legacy and quality there in the first place, there is nothing to revive.

James Bond is Omega's flashy advertisement; but it is only a small aspect the brand's totality - even if you just consider the younger generation. To describe it as a major driver of the brand is like the tail wagging the dog.

PS:
Oris vs Ball?
Quality wise, I will choose Oris.
I own several examples of Oris watches and one (and only one) Ball.
No, I didn't look at the ads. Oris' watches are solid quality designs, whereas Ball designs are a jarringly odd mix of classical design with H3 gas tubes. I also think the build quality of Oris watches to be better.

PPS:
I originally voted for Ball but Oris has grown in my esteem.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:34:26 PM by STT1987 »
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.