Author Topic: GMT Watches  (Read 9618 times)

Offline Alice

GMT Watches
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
Hi Guys... Would appreciate some input and views on GMT watches. Own a GMT Rolex Explorer 2. Thinking of getting another one  :)

Thanks
Alice

Offline dpkong

Re: GMT Watches
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:36:56 PM »
another Explorer 2, the new one?

or another GMT function watch?

Online acurusaragon

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
Sinn U2 .. :thumbsup:

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
PAM 88, 320, 321, 371, the list goes on :)

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »
i got one letting go, pls check out sell section  :Cheers: :Cheers:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
If you've already have a 3185 Exp II, do not bother with any ETA 2893 or 7750 GMT cal.

It's seriously lacking in ease and pacticality in terms of setting the GMT time compared to Rolex'

Unless u're going for independent buttons to set the GMT hands like the Bvlgari Diagono GMT or UN and etc, then less frustrating slightly more practical
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:55:58 PM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »
Since we are at the topic of GMT watches...
Why is that ExpII and GMT master II referred to as "True GMT" watches?
I don't get it....  ???
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
What is your budget, case size or movement desired?
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
She is in medical field, sure those PP, VC or Lange...  :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline landyshah

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
If you've already have a 3185 Exp II, do not bother with any ETA 2893 or 7750 GMT cal.
It's seriously lacking in ease and pacticality in terms of setting the GMT time compared to Rolex'

Fully agree  :Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
I don't get it....  ???

hanz079,

The different types of GMT watches:

1) The main hour hand can be independently adjusted forward or backwards (some in 1 hour increments) with the crown or pushers. The date will change forward or backward together with the hands. The 24 hour hand is adjusted is by setting the watch.

2) The 24 hour hand can be independently adjusted forward or backwards (some in 1 hour increments) with the crown or pushers. The main hour hand is adjusted by setting the watch. 

3) The 24 hour hand can be independently set to any position with the crown and is not 'linked' to the minute or main hour hands.

4) The 24-Hour hand is not independent of the main hour hand. The bezel is used to keep track of the second time zone.

2) The second time zone is displayed in a sub-dial. Adjustment is like example 1.

No 1 is what most people consider as true GMT watch because you can quickly adjust the hour hand to local time while the 24 hour hand would show the home time.

No 2 is what most GMT watches can do. It is used to monitor a 2nd time-zone, useful if you have children in another time zone and you would like to know when to call them.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »
I don't get it....  ???

hanz079,

The different types of GMT watches:

1) The main hour hand can be independently adjusted forward or backwards (some in 1 hour increments) with the crown or pushers. The date will change forward or backward together with the hands. The 24 hour hand is adjusted is by setting the watch.

2) The 24 hour hand can be independently adjusted forward or backwards (some in 1 hour increments) with the crown or pushers. The main hour hand is adjusted by setting the watch. 

3) The 24 hour hand can be independently set to any position with the crown and is not 'linked' to the minute or main hour hands.

4) The 24-Hour hand is not independent of the main hour hand. The bezel is used to keep track of the second time zone.

2) The second time zone is displayed in a sub-dial. Adjustment is like example 1.

No 1 is what most people consider as true GMT watch because you can quickly adjust the hour hand to local time while the 24 hour hand would show the home time.

No 2 is what most GMT watches can do. It is used to monitor a 2nd time-zone, useful if you have children in another time zone and you would like to know when to call them.
Thanks again Hobbs...
Everytime I call you Hobbs, i think of this...

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Anyway, I think we sould start a thread "Direct your question to Mr.Hobbs here"  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »

Thanks again Hobbs...
Everytime I call you Hobbs, i think of this...

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Anyway, I think we sould start a thread "Direct your question to Mr.Hobbs here"  ;D

hanz079,

My favourite comic strip, sadly no more....  :'(

Happily I have this.

Offline Friday

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
Why not try checking on Grand Seiko lineups.. i.e. Sbge001 or sbgm021..quality wise its up there with other swiss top brand and can set gmt easily also.. Eventough not able to adjust to 1/2 hour interval which is important for others..

Happy hunting...
"Personally, I only know the Rolex quotes that you get from the net. And they're expensive!" - S.D

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »

Hanz, watchManU 100% support your idea!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

by the way, master hobbit aka Mr.Hobbs. Any idea how much the cost for rolex valuation in RSC? The value of rolex determine by the year of product? condition of the watch? the watch with/without authentic paper? or any other particular reason?

sorry to all MWF mates, slightly divert the topic away from original thread. Minta maaf ar.  :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »

Hanz, watchManU 100% support your idea!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

by the way, master hobbit aka Mr.Hobbs. Any idea how much the cost for rolex valuation in RSC? The value of rolex determine by the year of product? condition of the watch? the watch with/without authentic paper? or any other particular reason?

sorry to all MWF mates, slightly divert the topic away from original thread. Minta maaf ar.  :Cheers:

han079, watchManU,

Thank you for the vote of confidence, but still got lots to learn.

With regards to your questions, I don't think RSC does valuation service. They will verify if the watch is real Rolex or not. However they are also limited in knowledge (locally) but have support from base (HQ). That was what happen with my Tudor Snowflake. They had to refer to HQ to verify if my watch (serial number based) was fitted with a different movement. In saying that, if you have a vintage piece, they may not be able to fully confirm originality.

As for the price of the watches, yes it is much dependent of the age (vintage pieces plays a different game), completeness, condition, uniqueness (Swiss Dial as oppose to Swiss Made Dial for example), etc. Best to get one of those Japanese magazines with the Rolex valuation. The prices are indicative as they can be a bit high.

The other best source are forums like this one or any other good watch forums. Also good to have is a list of pre-loved shops that you can trust. At least they have taken away some of the risk away (from fakes). Additionally a list of on-line shops where you can refer for the prices.

Hope that helps.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »
What happens if we bring a blatantly fake rolex to RSC to be verified? I heard from an acquiantance that if you bring a fake rolex in, they will do you the favor of smashing it to bits for you. Is this true? Never can get a serious answer out from him whenever i ask him whether it is true or not.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »
What happens if we bring a blatantly fake rolex to RSC to be verified? I heard from an acquiantance that if you bring a fake rolex in, they will do you the favor of smashing it to bits for you. Is this true? Never can get a serious answer out from him whenever i ask him whether it is true or not.

Don't know how true these are but based on what I asked from RSC here and in Malaysia, they just return the watch to you and tell you that it is a fake.