Author Topic: Arguments for and against Rolex  (Read 105034 times)

Offline G.MAC

Re: Arguments for and against Rolex
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
why are there  grades to begin with ???
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
Damn... I just realized most if not all my watches belong to the "peanut grade" and "dirt grade"
Sigh...  :HammerHead:
Anyone willing to let go of a "Low grade" Explorer II... drop me a PM k?  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline rusminag

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »
Rolex for me is only the medium lower grade watch. Just look at their full range of movement, the most complication could be the Daytona (cant remember the code) which i pay for only 1/3 or 1/4 price can get the same function or style with other famous swiss watch brand

We should never degrade any reputable watch brand... Our main concern should be focused on the damn replicas...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:31:29 PM by rusminag »
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »
Rolex for me is only the medium lower grade watch. Just look at their full range of movement, the most complication could be the Daytona (cant remember the code) which i pay for only 1/3 or 1/4 price can get the same function or style with other famous swiss watch brand

Interesting point of view. Personally I feel the Daytona is what we call an 'aspiration' item, much like the iPhone or iPad. There are other watches out there that can do more or do it better than the Daytona, but at the end of the day, it is not a Daytona.

As for Rolex being categorised as a lower grade watch based on complications, well, lets put it this way:

Moon phase watches: useful if you are one of these - mariners, fishermen and hunters
Minute repeater: where in the world do you not have light to see the time, also most watches have luminous material on the hands and dial, even minute repeaters.
Tourbillon: do you use a pocket watch? If so, useful, if not well......
Perpetual calendar: do you really need a watch to tell you the day, week, month, year?

I am not a Rolex fan boy, if you have read my posting, you will know that I am not one. But let's be honest about Rolex. As much as you dislike Rolex, a Rolex is a Rolex. Grade the watch/ brand based on more substantial facts and data and not by the number of complications it has or can have. Tell you what, a Citizen can have a huge number of complications, does it mean that it is of a higher grade (no offence to Citizen or its fans).

Offline Manburg

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »
@manburg as stated in wslee's first comment, the arguments against rolex. just commenting on that. apparently askmen.com said that.

Thanks for clarifying that.  :thumbsup: This thread has so beranak-pinak that I didn't even remember what the original posting was. Let me just re-produce the part you referred to:

"Young men that don a Rolex are perceived as self-absorbed, insecure and image-obsessed by those around them."

Well, luckily I'm only young at heart. ;D
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline syedmohri

• Irhomdeys Vintage Watch Collection
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
but then why so many rolexes have been copied and those fake sold like hot cakes!!! Many foreigners go to Petaling Street just for those cheap fake rolexes. There must be something that really attract people to buy rolexes either genuine or fake

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
you like it or not. You Cant deny that lolex movement are simplest and really robust (other than reverser weakness thing ). Most watchmaker i asked they say they are easy to repair.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
@manburg as stated in wslee's first comment, the arguments against rolex. just commenting on that. apparently askmen.com said that.

"Young men that don a Rolex are perceived as self-absorbed, insecure and image-obsessed by those around them."

Wah, I terasa like that la. Never asked around what people perceive of me also. I believe the above statement is more of jealous talk.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »

Wah, I terasa like that la. Never asked around what people perceive of me also. I believe the above statement is more of jealous talk.

the statement is like saying young ppl cannot year lolex. Only reserve for old ppl. :HammerHead: 

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
Haha Gigi I also thought like that when I was v much younger. Still young so now I'm getting one soon even if it's for my mom & dad first then me  ;D

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline zuki

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »
 :)I am not an owner of rolex and considering myself still at the late young age but the desire to own one relox is getting stronger n stronger..

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
+1 zuki me too
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
Dennis, what is the trinity again?

AP, PP, VC?
BINGO...more precise for me is AP RO/ROO, PP Nautilius 5711/1a and VC Oversea Chrono
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:30:44 PM by dennistwc »

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »
Dennis, what is the trinity again?

The master here answered for me... :thumbsup:

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks mate :)

Took a while to figure the abbreviations but get you on that, now I wonder whether i'll ever get those one day  :-\

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
but then why so many rolexes have been copied and those fake sold like hot cakes!!! Many foreigners go to Petaling Street just for those cheap fake rolexes. There must be something that really attract people to buy rolexes either genuine or fake

For education purposes.
Many foreigners go to PS to buy those fakes, I believe, is for fun and as novelty. They know its a fakes. They buy many pieces to take home as gifts to the folks back home. IMHO. They do not intend to cheat.

Some buy those fakes to fill in as a missing piece in their collections. Some buy to wear and test their feeling. If the wants and feeling do not ‘dies’ or wane off after a certain period, I believe they will proceed to buy a genuine one as a keeper.
Some buy to deceive others but that they cannot overcome their own guilt and ends up cheating themselves

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline sshark

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
i am sure you will if the poison is deep enuf :)

Offline jamjam

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
Rolex is dangerous.......  :thumbsup:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
Whether or not your are for or against Rolex, the market (new as well as the used market) appreciates the brand tremendously. Putting it another way, supply and demand dictates fashion and intrinsic value. As an individual, you have options. The options that you take will indicated whether you are mainstream or not. IMHO, for the Rolex brand, if you like it you are considered "normal".
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
Affordability is another issue. You may not be able to afford it but if you can appreciate its beauty you are part of the "normal" group. heheheh :Cheers:

btw, just visited[No mention of AD name- MOD] Gardens, Rolex just increased their prices by 5% across the board today
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:27:28 PM by takashi78 »
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Manburg

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
A lot of ppl cant afford to like Rolex, as they cant afford to buy it, ........ so equiv em as "abnormal" loh  :Laughing_on_floor:

The fact that you can't afford a thing, doesn't mean you can't like it. I can use a Ferrari as an example, but I'd prefer to use Megan Fox instead. :P
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »
Aiyo...I knew it...just thinking of buying and already it's incraesed! Crazy :Blue: :Blue:
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »
Like Takashi said... anytime is a good rime to buy a Rolex...  :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline kltime

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
Rolex's branding is deeply ingrained and imbedded, they are no doubt the world's most well known watch brand. And they still spend tons on ads. Witness wimbledon,Rolex is a major sponsor.

Offline sanguoich

• Freshie
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »
Sheet

I am earning less than 4k and I am buying watches more than 2k. Wonder which category do I fall in?

dc

in debt :P
just kidding bro