Author Topic: Grand Seiko SBGW033 Limited Edition- remake of the original 1960 Grand Seiko  (Read 17113 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Grand Seiko SBGW033 Limited Edition- remake of the original 1960 Grand Seiko

A brief review of  a Grand Seiko I acquired in 2012- the GS SBGW033, a remake of the original 1960 Grand Seiko.
The case, snap back case, dial, case diameter, lug size follow the original 1960 GS faithfully.
It is however fitted with the latest GS manual wind caliber 9S64 with a 72 PR. The other updated component is the domed sapphire crystal

Case finishing and movement quality is extremely high as expected from Grand Seiko.
Dial, hands, case and crystal are all beautifully made and finished. The diamond-cut indices and hands easily catches a sparkle in the light.

Dial is a slightly off-white and the beautifully heat blued steel second hand is a perfect match.

As the dial is an exact replica of the original, this is the only modern Grand Seiko watch to-date that does not have "SEIKO" on the dial whereas on other GS, you'll see all 3 logos on the dial;  "Seiko", "Grand Seiko" and "GS".

The case is highly mirror polished all round. Other finer details are the beautifully bevelled lugs. As such the finish is very susceptible to scuffs and marks but being a formal dress/dinner watch it is expected to be treated gingerly similar to a VC or PP dress watch.

The case is 35.8mm but it does not seem very small due to the light coloured dial and slim bezel.

This is a limited edition of 1300 pieces, of which only 300 is released outside Japan. All have been fully sold out in 2012 and only some dealers are re-selling NOS at premium prices.

Tech specs:

Grand Seiko 130th Anniversary Collection
Model # SBGW033
- Caliber 9S64
- Manual winding
- Hour, minute and second hands
- 28,800 vibrations per hour
- 24 jewels
- Power reserve: 72 hours
- Mean daily rate between -3 and +5 seconds per day (under static conditions)
- Movement diameter: 28.4 mm, thickness: 4.9 mm
- Case: Stainless steel / 35.8 mm in diameter
- Band: Alligator or lizard with stainless steel buckle
- Glass: High definition dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
- Water resistance: 3 bar
- Magnetic resistance: 10,000 A/m

Limited edition of 1,300 pieces

RRP prices:
Stainless Steel SBGW033 USD 6,500
Yellow gold SBGW 040 USD 16,500
Platinum SBGW 039 USD 25,000

For an interesting article on GS, you can try reading this:

http://thirtyfivemill.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/grand-seiko.pdf

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/watch-shopping-tokyo-that-time-i-almost-bought-a-vintage

The off white dial with the 100% reproduced fonts and hands from the 1st 1960 Grand Seiko and also the perfect proportions of the hour,minute,second hands as described in my SBGW047 article

A perfect example of the beautifully 3 angled polished hour and minute hands and beautifully heat blued second hand, as well as the diamond cut hour indices that reflect light at the slightest twist of the wrist. Note that the Grand Seiko word is STAMPED not printed, not riveted or glued on which is a much simpler and error-free method. This process is very difficult to execute perfectly even more so when the fonts are cursive. Very very few watches have stamped dials even amongst the modern trinity & AHCIs...

The crown is only signed with a 'S' unlike modern GS watches. This is done to replicate the original 1960 faithfully.

The finely bevelled lugs and mirror polishing

The very finely finished and detailed buckle which is also an exact replica of the 1960 GS buckle.

A very soft and supple alligator? leather strap... expensive to replace

Notice that the minute and second hands which are curved downwards at the tip to prevent parallax reading error. Few watches adopt this nowadays.

The snap case back as per the original 1960 GS, limited to 1,300 pc for stainless steel (300 outside Japan)

Exact replica pf the GS logo on the 1960 original GS. Note the fine finishing of the logo and its background

This is a watch I'll never sell and most probably asked to be strapped to my wrist and buried with me when my time is up.. ;D :Praying: :angel:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:37:43 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
oh... i miss the crown!!!! where is the crown???

beautiful watch and photo again...

is this croc skin?

buckle is moulted?

Offline davidtth

this, probably another GS i'll pay premium for it, love the way how they make the "grand seiko" wording, like another GS model "wako" way

sad i ever encounter this piece once at very good price, but i wasn't ready to acquire a GS  :Blue:

Offline bezelnut

Nice. I never pay attention to stamped dial inscription until reading your post. Very educative, thanks.

Very well photographed, you did a great job in picking up all the details, without unpleasant digital artifacts.  :thumbsup:

Just curious, is the second hand heated blue?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Thanks..
Such painstaking attention to detail by GS watchmakers at the very minimum, deserve our notice..
Actually there are minute specks of dust which I did not remove digitally.
All pics are OOC without any touch up.
If its a commercially paid job, post editing will need to be done.

ALL GS blued hands are painstakingly heat treated blue unlike the many fake chemically blued hands around which is faster, easier, cheaper to produce but nowhere near as nice..
You can easily see the difference in the shade of blue, if you look closely.
Like I said, a fine watch is ALWAYS in its microscopic details...
JLC, deBethune, Lange, FPJ, GO, Cartier and most fine watches' blued hands are ALL heat blued.
That is one of the differentiators of fine watches.

Nice. I never pay attention to stamped dial inscription until reading your post. Very educative, thanks.

Very well photographed, you did a great job in picking up all the details, without unpleasant digital artifacts.  :thumbsup:

Just curious, is the second hand heated blue?

There is always a NOS available in the market, its a matter of price..
this, probably another GS i'll pay premium for it, love the way how they make the "grand seiko" wording, like another GS model "wako" way
sad i ever encounter this piece once at very good price, but i wasn't ready to acquire a GS  :Blue:

I aredy mentioned clearly that it is lizard skin, more pricy than alligator..
Not sure if buckle is moulded or stamped...
beautiful watch and photo again...

is this croc skin?

buckle is moulted?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:53:50 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline bezelnut

Thanks..
Such painstaking attention to detail by GS watchmakers at the very minimum, deserve our notice..
Actually there are minute specks of dust which I did not remove digitally.
All pics are OOC without any touch up.
If its a commercially paid job, post editing will need to be done.

ALL GS blued hands are painstakingly heat treated blue unlike the many fake chemically blued hands around which is faster, easier, cheaper to produce but nowhere near as nice..
You can easily see the difference in the shade of blue, if you look closely.
Like I said, a fine watch is ALWAYS in its microscopic details...
JLC blued hands are ALL also heat blued.
A Dufour is of course the pinnacle..

No photoshop? wow, that is true talent.  :laugh:

In fact, I'm always fascinated by heat treated steel, screws and hands alike, but yet to have the skill to differentiate them from the chemically blued. When you are free, can you please educate more regarding this matter?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Nothing to do with talent, just how fastidious one is when you have the interest..

Just compare a Seiko Premier or some of the lower end Swiss watches blued hands with the Lange/FPJ/deBethune/GO/JLC/GS/Cartier,etc blued hands and it will be obvious..
That's why you pay the premium for such details amongst other time consuming craftsmanship...
Can't tell you how.. you just have to look at them side by side then you'll see the difference in shade, depth and shine of the colour...
The heat treatment exposes the steel to a predetermined specific high temperature for a fixed span of time for the exact hue of blue..
I got that from a book on the history of Swiss watchmaking and MJLC

In fact, I'm always fascinated by heat treated steel, screws and hands alike, but yet to have the skill to differentiate them from the chemically blued. When you are free, can you please educate more regarding this matter?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:19:51 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline euclidorus

The steel must be heat treated to a narrow range of 300 deg C for it turn the right shade of blue. Agree it is difficult to explain how to spot a heat treated one over a chemically coated one, other than a side-by-side comparison.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline Godzillaz

Where's the wristshot, Joe?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
As requested...one of the few wrist shots previously taken at work with an i-phone only

Anyway I thought you have the same watch too?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:59:45 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline Godzillaz

Nice! It don't look small at all  :thumbsup:

As requested...one of the few wrist shots previously taken at work with an i-phone only

Offline bezelnut

Nothing to do with talent, just how fastidious one is when you have the interest..

Just compare a Seiko Premier or some of the lower end Swiss watches blued hands with the Lange/FPJ/deBethune/GO/JLC/GS/Cartier,etc blued hands and it will be obvious..
That's why you pay the premium for such details amongst other time consuming craftsmanship...
Can't tell you how.. you just have to look at them side by side then you'll see the difference in shade, depth and shine of the colour...
The heat treatment exposes the steel to a predetermined specific high temperature for a fixed span of time for the exact hue of blue..
I got that from a book on the history of Swiss watchmaking and MJLC

The steel must be heat treated to a narrow range of 300 deg C for it turn the right shade of blue. Agree it is difficult to explain how to spot a heat treated one over a chemically coated one, other than a side-by-side comparison.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to see them in flesh for myself.
Or perhaps we can have a blue hand watch gathering? Must be able to learn a lot.  :Jumping:

Offline darrencw

oh my what a beauty ... but why are they hiding the movement ...  :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Offline bezelnut

oh my what a beauty ... but why are they hiding the movement ...  :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

I guess because they are keeping it true to the original GS.

Offline Chipi

Another great Grand Seiko review.
Been going thru this forum on GS.
Thank you for the review....  :Cheers:

Offline Skydrag

• Freshie
Wow this sg is fantastic , great review from you

Wear it with wealth and health  :)

Offline banqk2

• Freshie
Wowo serious - although i was shock with the price tag for Grand Seiko SBGW033 Limited Edition, apart than this is definitely another good review for Grand Seiko watch.