Author Topic: what is on your wrist today?  (Read 2946380 times)

Offline Enkidu

Re: what is on your wrist today?
« Reply #7150 on: March 30, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
looks more like a Seiko thread!  :Laughing_on_floor:

You are right. Looks like there's a seiko overdose lately. Too much of the same thing isn't always healthy. That's why I am wearing this tonight.......serial number 1 of 15.. ;D

Offline Lurch

« Reply #7151 on: March 30, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »
Ahhh... Finally A breath of fresh air.
Haha

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7152 on: March 30, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »

on this for Easter..
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #7153 on: March 30, 2013, 06:30:36 PM »

What is logic of having the power reserve needle pointing upwards to indicate "low" and downwards when "high"? Wouldn't the other way make more sense like fuel level indicator in cars?

Hey Donald,

I think you and James should both get your DNAs tested. I suspect he could be your long lost twin brother. That will be the MWF story of the year 2013!!!!

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

I am not sure if we can answer that question at a logical level, perhaps you'll need to approach it from a more philosophical angle. That's why I suggested to your probable long lost twin brother (James) that he should do some meditation and attain enlightenment. More than a month has since lapsed, if he has been practising diligently, I suppose he should now be able to float 2cm off the carpet.... ;D just joking...... just joking... :D :D :D

Whether pointing up or down, my wish is that Seiko should just remove the PR indicator, or reduce the size of the indicator dramatically. That should improve the symetry of the dial.

Anyway, this is not the only seiko model where the needle points upwards when the power reserve is low. Some of the Cal 6RXX variants do the same thing. All that I can see is that whether the needle points up or down (when the PR is low) depends on where and how the indicator is placed on the dial. This is because the PR needle in modern seikos tends to swing counter-clockwise from empty to full (of course, there are some notable exceptions, like (a) the kinetic PR indicator activated by pressing the button at 2o'clock which swings clock-wise from empty to full and (b) the Cal.11A made by Seiko in the 1950's).

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:33:24 PM by Enkidu »

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #7154 on: March 30, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Haha

...and the air will be fresher if you post a non-Seiko pic... ;)

Offline Lurch

« Reply #7155 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
Haha

...and the air will be fresher if you post a non-Seiko pic... ;)

ahh... if u insist... currently toying with 2 of these watches.
dont mind the time/date, have not worn them for a while.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #7156 on: March 30, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
ahh... if u insist... currently toying with 2 of these watches.
dont mind the time/date, have not worn them for a while.

I like the speedmaster on the left. I don't seem to recall seeing this speedmaster in blue very often... :thumbsup:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #7157 on: March 30, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »

What is logic of having the power reserve needle pointing upwards to indicate "low" and downwards when "high"? Wouldn't the other way make more sense like fuel level indicator in cars?

Hey Donald,

I think you and James should both get your DNAs tested. I suspect he could be your long lost twin brother. That will be the MWF story of the year 2013!!!!

I am not sure if we can answer that question at a logical level, perhaps you'll need to approach it from a more philosophical angle. That's why I suggested to your probable long lost twin brother (James) that he should do some meditation and attain enlightenment. More than a month has since lapsed, if he has been practising diligently, I suppose he should now be able to float 2cm off the carpet.... ;D just joking...... just joking... :D :D :D

Whether pointing up or down, my wish is that Seiko should just remove the PR indicator, or reduce the size of the indicator dramatically. That should improve the symetry of the dial.

Anyway, this is not the only seiko model where the needle points upwards when the power reserve is low. Some of the Cal 6RXX variants do the same thing. All that I can see is that whether the needle points up or down (when the PR is low) depends on where and how the indicator is placed on the dial. This is because the PR needle in modern seikos tends to swing counter-clockwise from empty to full (of course, there are some notable exceptions, like (a) the kinetic PR indicator activated by pressing the button at 2o'clock which swings clock-wise from empty to full and (b) the Cal.11A made by Seiko in the 1950's).

i can't believe i finally found my long lost bro here!!!! 

Offline Lurch

« Reply #7158 on: March 30, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »
thanks Enkidu
its indeed kinda rare... most ppl prefer the black or silver ones which are equally nice
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:17:40 PM by Lurch »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7159 on: March 30, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »

Perhaps it is to 'flow' along the same direction of the other hands, i.e. clockwise and end at 12 to indicate end, much like chrono hands resetting at 12 rather then going against the flow.

Anyways, don't understand why automatic watch need power reserve indicator. It is self winding. Well, yes you will need to wind up when it is dead after a long time of inactivity, but that would be pretty obvious when the sweep seconds hand is not moving (unless it is a simple 2 hand watch).

Offline harkensng

« Reply #7160 on: March 31, 2013, 04:02:40 AM »

Perhaps it is to 'flow' along the same direction of the other hands, i.e. clockwise and end at 12 to indicate end, much like chrono hands resetting at 12 rather then going against the flow.

Anyways, don't understand why automatic watch need power reserve indicator. It is self winding. Well, yes you will need to wind up when it is dead after a long time of inactivity, but that would be pretty obvious when the sweep seconds hand is not moving (unless it is a simple 2 hand watch).

I think jpsp and dpkong can both see that. I think they are asking the logic of the needle pointing up when low and down when high.

Offline Erap

• Freshie
« Reply #7161 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #7162 on: March 31, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
Was on this over the weekend in Yogjakarta. Trusty old fren. First watch gift from wife (and only one so far!).  :Laughing_on_floor:

It was retired many years ago but back into veteran service for special missions now.  :Cheers:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #7163 on: March 31, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »
oopss, fat fingers... forgot the pic:

"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #7164 on: April 01, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »

Casio Edifice
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #7165 on: April 01, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »
on this today

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7166 on: April 02, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »

Orient Star GMT

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7167 on: April 02, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »

Hey Donald,

i can't believe i finally found my long lost bro here!!!!

I'm SO GLAD I found you kor-kor..

Now can you lend me your Patek on weekends when you are not wearing it??

:Praying:  :Praying:

:-*  :-*

::)  ::)

Offline STT1987

« Reply #7168 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
Just got this back after a servicing (6 years old now and starting to run slow). Checking the timing for the next few days.
Omega Seamaster "James Bond" GMT

“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7169 on: April 04, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »

Seiko SKX009

Offline Empty Tree 8

« Reply #7170 on: April 04, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
Just got this back after a servicing (6 years old now and starting to run slow). Checking the timing for the next few days.
Omega Seamaster "James Bond" GMT

That's a beauty! Six years on and nary a scratch...  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Empty Tree 8

« Reply #7171 on: April 04, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #7172 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
Nice combo of the Schaumburg with the strap!

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #7173 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
Cool. I imagine if someone ask you what time is it and you show them this watch on your wrist and the will be like .... .... "huh?"  ;D

Regard
Tyler

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #7174 on: April 05, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »

Nice.

It look so happy. I guess it should cheer you up during a bad day?