Author Topic: Malaysia Watch Forum Watch Brand Survey 2011 - Results  (Read 22156 times)

Offline danny

• Administrator
Malaysia Watch Forum Watch Brand Survey 2011 - Results
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Malaysia Watch Forum members have voted for their favorite watch brands for 2011 in 2 categories.

First, the results for the Luxury Watch category: In descending order the top five luxury brands are Rolex, Panerai, Patek Philippe, IWC and Omega. The results represented in pie-chart format:

The results for the Affordable Watch category: In descending order the top five affordable brands are Seiko, Ball, Bell & Ross, Tag Heuer and Casio.

Kindly note that those brands which were featured in the survey but that did not garner any votes have been omitted from the results above.

The original surveys can be see here:

Malaysia Watch Forum Affordable Watch Brand Survey 2011

Malaysia Watch Forum Luxury Watch Brand Survey 2011

:Cheers:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:18:55 AM by danny »

Offline danny

• Administrator
Re: Malaysia Watch Forum Watch Brand Survey 2011 - Results
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
Some personal observations:

In the Luxury category Patek Philippe has replaced Omega in the 3rd position. Looks like MWF members have grown more discerning in their taste for luxury watches.

In the Affordable category Seiko has expanded its lead by a substantial margin. Value proposition still remains an important criteria in this category.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »
zenith shocked me....
strong support from east msia? :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:33 AM »
Patek in 3rd whilst Rollie and Panerai 1st/2nd ?
I beg to differ with your conclusion..
Whilst different ppl have diff parameters in evaluating a watch, exposure does play a part.
In other forums I'm sure the survey would be very different

In the Luxury category Patek Philippe has replaced Omega in the 3rd position. Looks like MWF members have grown more discerning in their taste for luxury watches.

In the Affordable category Seiko has expanded its lead by a substantial margin. Value proposition still remains an important criteria in this category.

Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »
zenith shocked me....
strong support from east msia? :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
Only 1 vote leh from me...  ;D ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
Happy to see Glashutte Original at the 7th position but a little surprised Grand Seiko is so far down despite all the good reviews and favourable words by owners.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »
Whilst different ppl have diff parameters in evaluating a watch, exposure does play a part.

Of course different forums will have different conclusions.
While Patek is certainly a very luxurious watch, I am sure it is well out of reach for the normal Malaysians...
Rolex and PAMs? Save hard enough and it's reachable...
It's still a luxury watch, just on a different level.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »
hi hanz,
I know what you mean. Unfortunately affordability was not a factor in the survey. It was just Luxury..
I'm not trying to be a snob as I can't afford a PP, Lange, FPJ, RM or AHCI either but I would not place them in the ranks of Rollies or Pams..
Perhaps we should have Haute Horologerie (Unlimited Budget), Luxury, Branded....
something like how SWATCH categorises their different brands.
No offence to Rollies or Pam owners but I think the survey was skewed..

[/quote]
[/quote]
Of course different forums will have different conclusions.
While Patek is certainly a very luxurious watch, I am sure it is well out of reach for the normal Malaysians...
Rolex and PAMs? Save hard enough and it's reachable...
It's still a luxury watch, just on a different level.
[/quote]
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

When you say "your" conclusion, what do you mean?
This result is a summary of a vote by all the members here. Not just the mod or owner of the forum.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
My mistake in not being specific...
Your conclusion I was referring to was :
<<Looks like MWF members have grown more discerning in their taste for luxury watches.>>

But having read your comment a 2nd time round perhaps you're not really wrong as you said 'more discerning' versus 'are discerning'

When you say "your" conclusion, what do you mean?
This result is a summary of a vote by all the members here. Not just the mod or owner of the forum.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »
if every1 vote base on

what the brand did last yr - new watch design, pricing, green participation, newly improve parts, new techs....

then the result shd be different....

sadly most ppl just vote their prefered brand....

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »
The result is based on the votes from us in MWF (well, some of us).
Obviously the sampling is not as large as international one's.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
I hope I did not offend anyone, not my intention.
I would have been equally incredulous if the survey has resulted in Grand Seiko or Omega being voted tops (although GS is ONE of my favoured choices which also includes Swiss &  German manufactures whenever I have the itch to to buy 'that next watch. Omega also used to be one of my favourites)..

Most of the brands in the survey are good watches just that some are what I would categorise as tool watches whereas some are haute horologie (technical stuff such as Minute Repeaters, Tourbillons, Perpetual Calendars, astrology watches such as by VC, JLC, UN - Ludwig Oechslin) and some are haut gamme (jewelry).

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
I hope I did not offend anyone, not my intention.

No offence taken. As stated in the original post for the survey which I quote here:
"Malaysia Watch Forum's unscientific and informal luxury watch brand survey ..."
the whole exercise is not meant to be exhaustive and the methodology is unscientific at best. The result should always be taken with a large pinch of salt.
However it does reflect the opinions of MWF members who cared enough about the issue to actually cast their votes.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
zenith shocked me....
Only 1 vote leh from me...  ;D ;D

Sure or not.....  ;D ::) ;D

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 01:30:51 AM »
GO was my vote... but I still find Omega gives most for the money it's kind of a prestigous Seiko (Grand Seiko sadly most ppl wont get what a great watch it is) but im biased to both Omega and Seiko and just dreaming of GO panomatic (but i will get it) Kinda like I played in my local team (UFC) but dreamt of Barcelona (maybe they will have a goodwill game or charity game where dumbasses like me can pay 2 play hehe)
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
 :Cheers: another one who voted GO… :thumbsup:
Lange is my ultimate but unaffordable for me presently, if new. GO is more value for money and still affordable. GS to me is currently undervalued and quite reasonable in price...

GO was my vote... but I still find Omega gives most for the money it's kind of a prestigous Seiko (Grand Seiko sadly most ppl wont get what a great watch it is) but im biased to both Omega and Seiko and just dreaming of GO panomatic (but i will get it) Kinda like I played in my local team (UFC) but dreamt of Barcelona (maybe they will have a goodwill game or charity game where dumbasses like me can pay 2 play hehe)

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
GO was my vote... but I still find Omega gives most for the money

I too voted for GO. Personally, I feel the GO is at least a notch above Omega, but that's just my personal prejudice against Omega.  ;D

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

I too voted for GO. Personally, I feel the GO is at least a notch above Omega, but that's just my personal prejudice against Omega.  ;D

I agree but I love Omega... I dun get bonuses that allow GO  :Blue:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »
Of course complication for complication GO is above Omega. Just look at the finishing of their movements. Swan neck regulator, engraved plates, gold chatons..
For me..
GS is super value for money, Omega is value for money, GO is affordable, Lange is my golden chalice..

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
Some of the brands were missing in ranking last year and are back this yrs survey  :thumbsup:. Still no one can challenge the King.. :Laughing_on_floor:

Well, at least I see Ball rank no.2 and B&R no.3 in the affordable categories. Either our members are rich or the price of these 2 brands have drop.... :Laughing_on_floor:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
For luxury watch category, still no one can challenge the "King". Maybe the reason is MWF members in Malaysia perceive that the "King" is their favourite brand of luxury watch. 

Well, at least I see Seiko made it to nearly half the votes in the affordable category. (30 votes as compared with Ball in second place with 6 votes and the third placing brand with 5 votes).
Agreed with Bro Siodee assessment that "Either our members are rich or the price of these 2 brands have drop" but there could be another factor - some of our MWF member may have some good windfall, hence voted these 2 brands to be at #2 &#3 respectively.

Offline bmw99

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
For luxury watch category, still no one can challenge the "King". Maybe the reason is MWF members in Malaysia perceive that the "King" is their favourite brand of luxury watch. 
i think maybe the definition was not really clear as it was "brand survey - luxury category". if i were to vote i will surely vote for my dream watch which i may not be able to afford ;)

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
I think Seiko should give rebates to ppl on forums... don't think as many people would know how great they are and understand that maybe some snotty nosed b*stard might think low of it going around with his breitling (have nothing against Breitling) the ppl who knows a lill bit will like em... my seiko 5 kinda sucks but thats because i went to get it rucked, my king seiko never faults me and its older than me. Same goes for my Omega seamaster from the 60's, works perfectly!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »
I think Seiko should give rebates to ppl on forums... don't think as many people would know how great they are and understand that maybe some snotty nosed b*stard might think low of it going around with his breitling (have nothing against Breitling) the ppl who knows a lill bit will like em... my seiko 5 kinda sucks but thats because i went to get it rucked, my king seiko never faults me and its older than me. Same goes for my Omega seamaster from the 60's, works perfectly!

if seiko knew how to market.... (by rebate ppl like us).... lol.... i'm sure seiko will get more positive publicity