Author Topic: Dilemma: Watches you like vs Watches suit you (on your wrist)  (Read 12495 times)

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether you have come to a situation where you like a watch so much but it does not suits you while it lies on your wrist eg. size, personality/character, etc. Eg. Some people would say watch is meant to be on your wrist, buy watches which suit you, Buy now sell later if it does not suits you, etc. What would you do?

Offline Angryrodent

Re: Dilemma: Watches you like vs Watches suit you (on your wrist)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »
BUY and then when it doesnt feel right sell it with a huge loss to me :D
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »
Wah System, what you eyeing now eh?

I have been in your situation before. Made the mistake once of twice. End up $$ lost.

Been many times see the watch looks good but on my wrist something is not right. Example the JLC Reverso 976, was soooo close to buying it.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
Best is to try it out in ADs or during GTGs.
Some does look fanstastic on pictures but not on the wrist.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether you have come to a situation where you like a watch so much but it does not suits you while it lies on your wrist eg. size, personality/character, etc. Eg. Some people would say watch is meant to be on your wrist, buy watches which suit you, Buy now sell later if it does not suits you, etc. What would you do?
Same like Peter, I am also guilty of buying without trying...
Sold off for some loss... lesson learned and move on.
Now, I dun care how good a watch looks on pictures... try before buy...
And try not to get into trends... trends will come and go... I stick with classics now...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline bwee

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
if the pocket can support the heart, pull the trigger!  :)

Offline rusminag

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Best way to decide is by asking the MWF members first (sifus and advisors) on your wishlist.

Then, you can make a wise decision based on the feedbacks.
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline gloomis

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
Hi Guys,

And try not to get into trends... trends will come and go... I stick with classics now...

so once try now feel itchy :Dancing_banana:

Offline gloomis

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
just buy wat u afford. at least u owned the watch that u like even tho it doesn't fit u. so sell it off then continue another hunt. this is a journey....

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »
BUY and then when it doesnt feel right sell it with a huge loss to me :D

Agree... but for me, i can't afford that. I guess some of us have consider many pro and cons and other factors prior to buying a watch. and after purchased for some time on your wrist it doesn't feels right.  Like what gloomis said this is a journey...

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »
Best is to try it out in ADs or during GTGs.
Some does look fanstastic on pictures but not on the wrist.

If u really like it leh...

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »

I have been in your situation before. Made the mistake once of twice. End up $$ lost.

Been many times see the watch looks good but on my wrist something is not right. Example the JLC Reverso 976, was soooo close to buying it.

Eyeing Explorer 1 39mm due to the simplicity, but size a bit small on my 'macho' wrist. but thats rolex, famous for their small watches, eventhough they have produced deep sea and the new explorer 2 with bigger size.
Imagine explorer 1 have size 42mm, perhaps wont be so nice. Thats why i am struggling now  :HammerHead:

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

i am focusing more on simplicity, 2 hands plus second hand, can see time good enough, date got or not still ok... with me...

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »

Eyeing Explorer 1 39mm due to the simplicity, but size a bit small on my 'macho' wrist. but thats rolex, famous for their small watches, eventhough they have produced deep sea and the new explorer 2 with bigger size.
Imagine explorer 1 have size 42mm, perhaps wont be so nice. Thats why i am struggling now  :HammerHead:

It just feels small because u are coming from a Pam point of view.

happened to me too. My "first" are a pair of Seiko SKX and Orange monsters (which are a good 42mm with much more heft than my tegimented Sinn 857s), followed by a Pam 112. Whenever I tried on a Rolex back then, I always felt that it was flimsy, too light and small.

As time goes, I actually prefer "smaller" watches and now 40-42mm is the max that I would go. The size 36-40mm feels right because it's less cumbersome and more discreet and elegant without trying "too hard". Although most brands are "upsizing" their sports watches, you'll still find that the more "old fashioned small" sizes are still being produced and more listed after by purist.

It's been a good few months now since I strapped on my Pam. Just try on a 36mm "classic" explorer and I am sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline johnjoux

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »
For eg watch ppl like but normally doesnt suit like AP ROO or HUBLOT Big bang , looks good almost to everyone but when worn , it doesnt suit many ppl . Reason is like some like the design but they normally work in office and doesnt match for the office suit etc.

When u wear this 2 watches , the till leave some gap between the watch head and your wrist. Some ppl will say it doesnt suit their wrist unless u got to be super fat to close all the gap between the watch head and wrist.

I will buy the watch i like to wear and watch that i would love to look/stare at.  :D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 02:24:15 PM »

happened to me too. My "first" are a pair of Seiko SKX and Orange monsters (which are a good 42mm with much more heft than my tegimented Sinn 857s), followed by a Pam 112. Whenever I tried on a Rolex back then, I always felt that it was flimsy, too light and small.

As time goes, I actually prefer "smaller" watches and now 40-42mm is the max that I would go. The size 36-40mm feels right because it's less cumbersome and more discreet and elegant without trying "too hard". Although most brands are "upsizing" their sports watches, you'll still find that the more "old fashioned small" sizes are still being produced and more listed after by purist.

It's been a good few months now since I strapped on my Pam. Just try on a 36mm "classic" explorer and I am sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Agree 100%. I have not strapped on my Panerai for some time now. I am on the Tudor 76200 which is 36 mm.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
Stupid me. Should have bought this when I got the chance and join you in the Tudor Cali Club. Still banging my head till today.  :'(

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Stupid me. Should have bought this when I got the chance and join you in the Tudor Cali Club. Still banging my head till today.  :'(

Can still get if you seriously want. But it no longer 'cheap'.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
This was going for 10000yen early last year preowned. So how much is a NOS brand new piece now?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
This was going for 10000yen early last year preowned. So how much is a NOS brand new piece now?

10,000 yen or 100,000 yen? The retail is about NTD 76,000. But got discount. Interestingly the first one I got had the punched papers but this one that I got has the new big box and credit card warranty. The serial number difference is about 8,000.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
OoPS you're right. Missing another zero.  :laugh:

Offline SYSTEM

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »

Terrence, you can read my mind. Yes, I guess i am coming from PAM point of view. Eventhough i do own a ML Pontos day date (my first watch) and still wearing it. The 'feel' is different perhaps its the weight that you can feel that 'i am wearing a watch' or i guess its the big watch that people can see what watch you are wearing (these are just my point of view cos i am like that  :Laughing_on_floor: )

Big or small, its a watch identity as there are history behind in developing a watch. lucky i am only struggling on the size. Simplicity is still my main criteria in choosing a watch. I guess i have to broaden my choice in terms of size.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 12:14:07 AM »
36-42mm watches are the sizes most suitable for ASEAN unless you have a fat wrist..

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
To me the perfect size would be 39mm. Just nice.... :thumbsup:
Jacky Wong

Offline takashi78

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I would still go for the 36mm Explorer.