Author Topic: Watches as investment 2.0!! Real example  (Read 24220 times)

Offline theseira

Re: Watches as investment 2.0!! Real example
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »

Somethng not rite, i last asked AP boutique two mths back, 15202 steel retail 80++k, cant be 100k now

110k is not official price it's the price the dealer in Times Square sell for.

Retail is around 81k ringgit from AP boutique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline theseira

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »

Wow. Two years ago. The ap was sold at a slightly lower price then the pp.

How times have changed

Yea but the problem is that is difficult to source the 5711 at retail price.

Offline el118

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »

Somethng not rite, i last asked AP boutique two mths back, 15202 steel retail 80++k, cant be 100k now

That is crazy, he cant be serious , no such mkt price for preowned jumbo
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:21:29 AM by watchdiver »

Offline theseira

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 04:46:00 AM »

That is crazy, he cant be serious , no such mkt price for preowned jumbo

We ask him this question.

Got 15202 AP for sale or not? Heard you selling for 40k ringgit.

Then he say no stock but I can get it for you for 110k ringgit.

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Watches as investment 2.0!! Real example
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 04:55:36 AM »
It must be a joke..... 30k premium, you are better off taking a business class ticket to Switzerland and get it here with some spare change.....Lol....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:17:30 AM by nikfs1881 »
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline keanewoon

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »
A bit of debate when the title is "watches as investment" but when u change the title to "popular watches that has good demand for hedging against weak local currency or inflation" will get everyone to agree. Hehe

Offline arcsaber7

• Freshie
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
A bit of debate when the title is "watches as investment" but when u change the title to "popular watches that has good demand for hedging against weak local currency or inflation" will get everyone to agree. Hehe

Yup ! Agreed with your opinion.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:22:01 AM by watchdiver »

Offline sshark

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2015, 08:31:20 PM »
I agree with this suggestion too

Offline theseira

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »
Well as far as modern watches go a Patek 5131 is a solid investment if you can buy at retail.

Offline sshark

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »
Can. You can start buying other available models first and they will make friend with you and put you in their A-list.  :)

Offline theseira

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »

Can. You can start buying other available models first and they will make friend with you and put you in their A-list.  :)

Who is they!?

And buy from where?

Sounds like a simple task but some ppl did that and still don't have their 5131.

Also I noticed that the 175 anniversary pieces are all trading above retail and the 5711p as well trading above retail.

Offline el118

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »
The trading price is indicative price. if you wanna sell at that price under private capacity, especially those premium high price watch, you would find there is high level of difficulty to get the right buyer. Those who can afford are very few and they may be reluctant to buy from unknown individuals for such amount of money in fear of authenticity and other reasons.

As compared to if you wanna sell a Rolex Sub which there are a wide range of available buyers and the risk to buyer is relatively low.

Offline sshark

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
You are taking it way too seriously than I intend to :) Well you started this post to show that AP or other watches or just AP alone make profits. you show your facts, I disagree. let's agree with disagree. if it makes money for you, continue with what u r doing. this is getting nowhere for me, i am checking out from here.

Who is they!?

And buy from where?

Sounds like a simple task but some ppl did that and still don't have their 5131.

Also I noticed that the 175 anniversary pieces are all trading above retail and the 5711p as well trading above retail.

Offline theseira

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »

You are taking it way too seriously than I intend to :) Well you started this post to show that AP or other watches or just AP alone make profits. you show your facts, I disagree. let's agree with disagree. if it makes money for you, continue with what u r doing. this is getting nowhere for me, i am checking out from here.

Who is they!?

And buy from where?

No worries it's all good. At Least I provided facts. Rather then "simply" commenting.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2015, 03:25:35 PM »
Theseira.....

It is a known fact to get that worldtimer direct form boutique, the number of other pateks' that you need to purchase inorder to be able to be even considered for it is crazy. Will the other pateks make you a profit (in order to get to the worldtimer)... I doubt so.

Considering all in all. It's not a good trade off.

And please remember... Not everyone is as fortunate as you.

This thread should be ended as such.

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Watches as investment 2.0!! Real example
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »
Theseira.....

It is a known fact to get that worldtimer direct form boutique, the number of other pateks' that you need to purchase inorder to be able to be even considered for it is crazy. Will the other pateks make you a profit (in order to get to the worldtimer)... I doubt so.

Considering all in all. It's not a good trade off.

And please remember... Not everyone is as fortunate as you.

This thread should be ended as such.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:43:06 PM by nikfs1881 »
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 08:15:59 AM »
using my layman understanding, is this right?

Rolex - got money - can buy - depends on stocks availability

Patek - got money - cannot buy - need to earn your Patek level / status / friendship etc first then only Mr Stern to decide whether to sell to you or not.

I heard people wait for years just to buy Patek.

Offline reventon

• Freshie
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
Or maybe watches r a good currency hedge? At a certain point in time?

Pre owned watches fetching better value today as well ? For sure new imported BNIB stuff are getting price increase. Not sure for pre loved item. ???

Offline theseira

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »
Got another example get a Rolex Daytona SS ceramic at list price. Instant profit at this point in time.

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
Got another example get a Rolex Daytona SS ceramic at list price. Instant profit at this point in time.

Haha...bro, don't tell me you are going to sell your newly acquired Daytona SS Ceramic...

Offline theseira

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »

Haha...bro, don't tell me you are going to sell your newly acquired Daytona SS Ceramic...

Not going to sell. I love daytonas more than money.

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2016, 09:06:57 AM »
 :Cheers:

Not going to sell. I love daytonas more than money.

:Cheers:

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2016, 09:00:48 AM »
DaytonaC's RRP is USD12,400 and it raised a storm of attention during Basel 2016. Some local grey retailers are letting go at circa RM59k these days, so I do believe that you would make instant profits if you were to let go at the interim period. It's always a matter of supply and demand; and when the item in question was still new and not widely-distributed as yet, it's bound to generate lots of attention that push up its premium.

Case in point was like the Sea-DwellerC/SD4000. After it's launch in Basel 2014, it's RRP was USD10,400 but there were so many buyers that all the hype caused it to sell at a premium. The other day, when I was at Pavillion, the SA told me that it was selling at RM38k these days and he only had 1 piece so no discounts; but he shared that it was still a good deal compared to 1+ year ago when the grey retailers were selling higher than the RRP and even the official ADs could not get stock as fast as they wanted. But he did cautioned that if the Forex continued to go downhill, there could be further revisions in future.

This would meant that your DaytonaC's price could be pushed higher still in the near future. Anyway, prices aside, I think that it's a highly-collectible piece  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
Don't use watches as an investment. It's not. It's speculation at best.

The forces of demand and supply still hold true. If you guys see a second hand AP 15202 going for a high price, don't purchase it. The price will drop. If you're willing to part with your money for a premium, then by all means. But honestly, don't buy a watch thinking it's an investment.
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
That's why I pointed out the SD4000 premium from earlier hype. I read how some paid a few G's USD as premium to claim the bragging rights of having it first. These days, the hype was largely gone and the prices have stabilised to RRP. Same should take place with DaytonaC but that would be some time (a year or two?) down the route.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |