Author Topic: Rolex Sea Dweller VS Submariner  (Read 20065 times)

Offline ckcspice

Re: Rolex Sea Dweller VS Submariner
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »
sold off the 16610...still have 16600.... :) 

Offline mswong

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
SD all the way..I regret selling it and and now slowly hunting for one :)

Offline Calibr

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 09:06:08 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting this old, but interesting and relevant thread..

If there is a choice to pick up either the current DSSD (116660 44mm) or the Submariner Green (116610LV 40mm), would the majority of the opinions still gravitate towards the DSSD? Comparatively, DSSD has more technology with a standard design, while the HULK is quite unique with its shimmering ceramic green dial and bezel, and not so easily copied by other homage watchmakers as is the DSSD..

Thanks for your opinions.. :Praying:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting this old, but interesting and relevant thread..

If there is a choice to pick up either the current DSSD (116660 44mm) or the Submariner Green (116610LV 40mm), would the majority of the opinions still gravitate towards the DSSD? Comparatively, DSSD has more technology with a standard design, while the HULK is quite unique with its shimmering ceramic green dial and bezel, and not so easily copied by other homage watchmakers as is the DSSD..

Thanks for your opinions.. :Praying:

I'd pick a Submariner in green anytime over the DSSD. That watch is just too thick and large for everyday wear. What are the chances you'd get any use out of the HEV or 1220m rating?

Offline STT1987

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
If James Cameron shows up and invites you to spend time in a sub to the Titanic, you must be prepared.
Rolex DSSD.
http://www.rolex.com/en#/world-of-rolex/sports-and-culture/exploration/james-cameron-about-the-rolex-deepsea-challenge
 :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline watchfreak

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »
i always believe you cant really go wrong with a Submariner, selected series had had its value appreciative over time.

Offline sk-evo

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
For me, it will be a submariner due to the eye-catching blue or green. But I will still like a SD in my collection (not yet)

Offline veege

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »
both also quite similar series.

if your wrist 7 inch go for DS small go for Sub, that is my sugesstion.

But for the long run and popular, SUB will be a good choose over DS. ( if you worries after 30 years no one know your DS )  :Confused:

Offline Mark

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
Hi,

I forgot that I was the TS lol. I bought 16610LV in the end, from ckmcsk, good and patience seller. I was very happy with it for few months, I sold it off for a 116613LB. Reasons, the contrast and its Ceramic, I am not a fan of non-ceramic, I dont want my bezel get scratches on it T_T

The DSSD is actually tempting decent piece of watch but not for my wrist. Too thick and heavy. Those are the CONS, but not for those who has bigger wrist, OR if you wont mind to wear it looooosely. The PROS, I don't know why, maybe to me only, the bezel looks extremely shiny when I saw a friend of mine wearing it, couldnt tell why lol.

Well, just share some of my thought, basically I think, same as others.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Next I will aim a GS SBGA071/Daytona/GMT II.

Happy Chinese New Year Guys, Wish you all FATTT CHOI~

Mark
Seikoholic

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 06:56:34 AM »
SD > Sub > DSSD

SD is the Daddy.  It's rare (Sub definitely is not), it has greater wrist presence, it was developed in collaboration with commercial divers, and it (16600) was the watch worn on the deepest dive in history.  The Sub is nice, but just not as special.

DSSD is beautifully engineered, but just too huge if your wrist is under 7.5-8 inches.  Mine is 7-7.25 inches, and the 16600 wears like a dream.  It's also a luxury watch first, dive watch second.  Not cool.  The old generation Sea-Dwellers were designed first and foremost as professional diving instruments.  Cool.

If you are into dive watches, and can only have one Rolex, it's gotta be the Sea-Dweller.

Offline rfc

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Never owned a sub but have bought and sold a SD, I regret letting it go every day.  With the HRV and no cyclops it is more discreet and an all round true dive watch.  If I was buying a sub, I'd go for the new ceramic version, it's a little more bling but still a nice watch

Offline Zarium

• Freshie
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
Submariner. I've always and will always think of it as the quintessential diving watch, along with the Fifty Fathoms.

But I'm partial because my dad's worn one for as long as I can remember. ;D

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »
1 vote for Sub from me.

Smaller, thinner, lighter, easier to live with, imo.

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
submariner with no shadow of doubt.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline kicksology

• Freshie
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 12:01:09 AM »
 Submariner