Poll

Would you mind if your watch parts are not of the same year?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Would you mind if your watch parts are not of the same year?  (Read 3585 times)

Offline dspayre616

• dspayrelovewatch
Would you mind if your watch parts are not of the same year?
« on: January 17, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »
As watch lovers and referring to expensive watches, would you mind if your holy grail is having watch parts that are not of the correct time period or year?

Examples for vintage rolex
- dial that has been replaced (matte dial to glossy dial) during a service
- bracelet code that does not match the time period or year

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Would you mind if your watch parts are not of the same year?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 12:14:19 PM »
Personally I don't actually have anything that qualifies as vintage, so I find that I don't have any period-specific compulsions. I suppose more ardent collectors would be concerned about that.

But that's the thing I wonder about, aside from sympathetic restoration and similar kinds of work, if the parts and gears are really worn beyond salvage with no NOS replacements available, still need new parts la kan?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:13:24 PM »
As watch lovers and referring to expensive watches, would you mind if your holy grail is having watch parts that are not of the correct time period or year?

Examples for vintage rolex
- dial that has been replaced (matte dial to glossy dial) during a service
- bracelet code that does not match the time period or year

I suppose it only qualifies to vintage item but if a part is defective, it should obviously be replaced with a new part.

Offline dspayre616

• dspayrelovewatch
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:59:43 PM »
Personally I don't actually have anything that qualifies as vintage, so I find that I don't have any period-specific compulsions. I suppose more ardent collectors would be concerned about that.

But that's the thing I wonder about, aside from sympathetic restoration and similar kinds of work, if the parts and gears are really worn beyond salvage with no NOS replacements available, still need new parts la kan?

True, if the internal parts like gears are damaged, then it should be replaced. But there are some parts that shouldn't be changed. For example, imagine there is a vintage rolex that tickles your fancy, but the dial is no longer luminescent.

So, Rolex would change the dial to a newer dial. Would this be acceptable?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:05:56 AM »

True, if the internal parts like gears are damaged, then it should be replaced. But there are some parts that shouldn't be changed. For example, imagine there is a vintage rolex that tickles your fancy, but the dial is no longer luminescent.

So, Rolex would change the dial to a newer dial. Would this be acceptable?

acceptable or not depends whether it drives the value of the vintage piece down? if not, then I'm all for a newer dial

Offline adriangsc

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
It really depends, for myself as long as is original than is ok not really need to be same year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk