Author Topic: Post GST overseas ordering experience  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Kesharoo

Post GST overseas ordering experience
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
Hi guys,
I would like to share my experience in ordering a JDM Seiko (model SBBN017) from Japan via Seiya so that you will know what to expect and timeline taken from ordering to delivery in the post GST era.

I ordered the watch via the Seiya website on the 31st July in the afternoon. I paid via credit card and the exchange rate of 1USD came to RM3.97 so my total bill was RM2773. Seiya sold the watch at USD698 inclusive of EMS delivery. I received an email from Seiya confirming the order and was given an invoice within 3 hours.

I received an email on Sunday evening from Japan Post confirming the acceptance of parcel and tracking number.

As you can see the items were sent very quickly by Seiya to the post office for delivery to me. The package arrived in Malaysia 3 days after Seiya sent it to the post office. Then it was stuck in customs Malaysia for clearance. That’s when the waiting really began. I have ordered watches from overseas before and I received them within a week, at the most. Post GST is another story altogether.

I received a letter sent to my office on 6th August by POS Malaysia via pos laju asking me to confirm if I wish to appoint them as customs agent to clear the package which will incur charges or I can clear the item myself. Pos Malaysia also gave me an option to pick up the package from the nearest post office or have it sent to me. Having no time, I requested additional delivery (which was strange as Seiya would have paid for delivery door to door!) I guess Pos Malaysia needed to make more money.

I have to email the appointment of Pos Malaysia and just to be safe I also faxed them the form.

On 11th August, I received a fax stating the amount I have to pay for GST for the watch and also for additional services. Total is RM272.20.

I again have to sign acceptance and to pay the amount as quoted. Then I sent the form via fax and email to Pos Malaysia.

On the morning of the 18th August, Pos Malaysia called me to say they will be sending the package to my address and to make sure I have the money to pay them! At around noon I finally received the package and paid them the money and this was given to me as detailed breakdown.

So all in all it took 19 days for me to receive the watch and an additional 10% for GST, customs and clearance. I am expecting another order via courier service in September and will report the difference. Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:53:36 AM by Kesharoo »

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Re: Post GST overseas ordering experience
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »
Great and very useful piece of information. I am so sorry that you have to deal with all the unnecessary processes put in place after GST's implementation....on the other hand i am glad that you finally got it over with and enjoy the beautiful watch....

Btw, i notice your name and phone numbers  on the third pictures, so you may want to hide the details in the public post....

Again thanks for the information, am sure other members will also appreciate this detailed information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline Timeless

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »
Very useful and detailed information from end to end

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:43:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. hmm, addtional 4%  :Blue:

In my case, buying from Stowa (German), package handle by Fedex, i only pay additional 6% when delivery. The delivery man practically asking for cash on the spot. Luckily i do have the cash in hand. In my case no delay from usual and no extra fees tho, but perhaps Fedex already charge them in their fees of EUR 59

2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline Gilthoniel

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:11:14 AM »
There will definitely be delays as now customs need to go through every package one by one

Worst thing is they wanted to charge gst on items I got for free too!

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 07:56:02 AM »
many thanks, personal info redacted!