Poll

Did the Authorised dealer / service center provide a confirm date to Pick Up once you send in the watches?

Yes, I am informed that exactly when my watch would be ready to pickup
No, I would be given an estimated waiting period and they would inform me once it is ready to pickup

Author Topic: Servicing or repair of wrist watches (pickup date)  (Read 21951 times)

Offline ndtaan

Re: Servicing or repair of wrist watches (pickup date)
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
I'm really having a real tough weekend. I have been so upset with what happened with my watch. All that hard earned money and anticipation down the drain. I just feel so cheated and taken for a ride. In fact, I also swore that I will never ever buy another pre owned watch again.

I also had an impression that the merchants on this forum were at least capable of doing what was advertised but I really doubt that now. My watch can be 1k or 100k but when they take it for a service, to them it is just another piece. I can swear that when my watch was returned to me the first time, the technician did not even check the timing of the watch.

Now that the watch is back with him, I am worried that he will scavenge my watch for parts and put in some lousy parts. How am I to tell, I am no watch maker.

I can only say I totally regret my actions sending my watch to this so called "expert" on MWF.

Sigh, may this be a tough lesson to me and all those reading in.

You must feel absolutely gutted.
That is why I always send watches back to the respective brand's service centre.
You might pay a little more, but with the added security and legitimacy... i'd be worth the extra money paid.
Now regarding this "expert" on MWF.
I am just wondering if there is any open endorsement by MWF?

I too feel for gunsnroses. It is very sad. But in saying that, MWF only provides a platform for merchants to advertise their wares and services. This is done in good faith. MWF do not at any time endorse any of the merchants on the forum.

I fully agreed with TheHobbit,
And the way MWF is operated,I'm very sure that ultimately MWF is a place where watch enthusiast mingle and share each other's joy (or frustration) in our interest without any endorsement to any party or merchants.

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
any idea how much it will cost to send in e.g. a sub to RSC for regular service?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
any idea how much it will cost to send in e.g. a sub to RSC for regular service?
RM1800... I am not too sure if prices went up or not...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline ti64

• Freshie
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
Any idea if seiko malaysia will service a vintage seiko diver 6306 7001?

I m thinking to relume the dial too as the lume on it is not bright. Wonder if anyone here knows a good place or shop in Klang Valley area?

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »

I m thinking to relume the dial too as the lume on it is not bright. Wonder if anyone here knows a good place or shop in Klang Valley area?

The 6306 was a JDM model so I am not 100% sure if Thong Sia will service it, but you can try. BTW, I just PMed you the contact number of a guy who used to repair most of my vintage Seikos (6309, 6306, 6138, 6105). You may wish to contact him also.. ;) Good luck.

I'll prefer to keep the vintage dial as it is. Once relumed, the collectability of the piece may drop.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »

It's now RM2,120 for a regular service for a Sub, without replacing any "major" parts. Comes with a complimentary polish and a customary green Rolex pouch and cleaning cloth. They accept credit cards without surcharge.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »

It's now RM2,120 for a regular service for a Sub, without replacing any "major" parts. Comes with a complimentary polish and a customary green Rolex pouch and cleaning cloth. They accept credit cards without surcharge.

Thanks for providing an updated price.
Alot of us here might find it useful.  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »
For the 1st service, just before the end of 2yr warranty, this should be a valid and RSC will service the watch as if regular service right?

Offline Calibr

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 07:04:25 AM »
For the 1st service, just before the end of 2yr warranty, this should be a valid and RSC will service the watch as if regular service right?

During the 2 years warranty period when the watch is first purchased from an AD, RSC will not service your watch unless there is a manufacturing problem with it.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:50 AM »

During the 2 years warranty period when the watch is first purchased from an AD, RSC will not service your watch unless there is a manufacturing problem with it.
Correct correct correct.
It also apply to other manufacturers.

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »

Correct correct correct.

Huh I was told from a watch boutique, you can bring back your watch to service just before the warranty ends. Not sure is this a marketing gimmick so I can buy the watch and save a bit on the maintenance cost. But what if we inform them over the 1-2yr period the rate is not satisfactory e.g. like average 7s per day, will they take back to regulate for free and without any other service?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »

Correct correct correct.

Huh I was told from a watch boutique, you can bring back your watch to service just before the warranty ends. Not sure is this a marketing gimmick so I can buy the watch and save a bit on the maintenance cost. But what if we inform them over the 1-2yr period the rate is not satisfactory e.g. like average 7s per day, will they take back to regulate for free and without any other service?
Regulate the time yes, and any other manufacturing defects.
But not overhaul, unless it has been agreed upon.

Offline ti64

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
Enkido
Thanks a lot for your information. I ll give him a call

The 6306 was a JDM model so I am not 100% sure if Thong Sia will service it, but you can try. BTW, I just PMed you the contact number of a guy who used to repair most of my vintage Seikos (6309, 6306, 6138, 6105). You may wish to contact him also.. ;) Good luck.

I'll prefer to keep the vintage dial as it is. Once relumed, the collectability of the piece may drop.

Offline utcplus7

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »
I'm really having a real tough weekend. I have been so upset with what happened with my watch. All that hard earned money and anticipation down the drain. I just feel so cheated and taken for a ride. In fact, I also swore that I will never ever buy another pre owned watch again.

I also had an impression that the merchants on this forum were at least capable of doing what was advertised but I really doubt that now. My watch can be 1k or 100k but when they take it for a service, to them it is just another piece. I can swear that when my watch was returned to me the first time, the technician did not even check the timing of the watch.

Now that the watch is back with him, I am worried that he will scavenge my watch for parts and put in some lousy parts. How am I to tell, I am no watch maker.

I can only say I totally regret my actions sending my watch to this so called "expert" on MWF.

Sigh, may this be a tough lesson to me and all those reading in.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the service. I sent an old datejust to the same place for servicing and I've kept it on my winder for the past 12 days to monitor the timekeeping. Fortunately it is keeping time within COSC standards and the polishing job was sympathetic to the age of the watch too. I'd consider using them again, at least for Rolex servicing.

Offline watzisname

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
This is slightly off topic but recently I contact RSC since I flipped my Coke to a friend of mine & he wanted to bring it to Menara Dion to verify the authentication of the watch. To my surprise they told me over the phone that they will do the " authentication" @ a price of rm 248 (I think so, not very sure about the exact cost) but the confirmation is only verbally...No confirmation paper from RSC whatsoever!! So instead of going to RSC I told him to go to any "gray" or AD that he wants to verify it..Imagine paying 200+ only to be told that yr rollie is :mooning: genuine verbally without any supporting papers/documents to verify it..Anyone knows why coz last time I believe RSC did provide some sort of "confirmation" paper that yr watch is not a knock off stuffs.. :Confused:

i always thought a 'confirmation' paper is never provided.
thats why its recommended to send it for a check-up, then at least you get a 'confirmation' of service done, as they of course will only work on it if it's not a fake.

I did this just last week. Asked for service and they took the watch for 25 minutes. I 'decided' not to have it serviced, paid the RM240 and got a receipt, complete with serial number. I took the watch to a store nearby for service, as RSC rules are not sympathetic to vintage watches.

Just wondering how the authenticity check is made; do they check the serial number only? What if its a fake using a real serial number; or it's a real case but the movement has been replaced with an inferior one

Offline utcplus7

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
I don't know about checking serial numbers against a master list. It may be that they simply verify that everything is as per the original spec. I'm sure someone on here will know the full story. Having bought the watch used I was happy to know it was all Rolex.

Offline contender

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »

wow, really not cheap to maintain a ROLEX ... RM2,210 easily 10% of the market value or more for the Sub. My goodness ... so those who are saving to buy a ROLEX or pre-owned, make sure you know the cost involved for the maintainenace as well

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
Servicing an Omega will cost approx. RM 1,600 without parts.

If that scares you, you'll freak out if you service an AP.... its 5 figures.

wow, really not cheap to maintain a ROLEX ... RM2,210 easily 10% of the market value or more for the Sub. My goodness ... so those who are saving to buy a ROLEX or pre-owned, make sure you know the cost involved for the maintainenace as well
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »
I presume the RM1,600 is for SS Omega.. Few months back I took an old Titanium Prof Seamaster Chrono using Valjoux 7750 movement for overhaul service, was quoted RM2,900 plus. A replacement Ti link for the bracelet costs RM312, probably more now.  :o

Servicing an Omega will cost approx. RM 1,600 without parts.

If that scares you, you'll freak out if you service an AP.... its 5 figures.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »
My IWC inge went for service as it stopped working. Its an few years old watch so i just dropped at richmont service center in KL.

Waited 3 mth plus for the whole thing to be done. They insists the watch itself to go to switzerland to service instead of Singapore. Maybe it is because the movement is the IWC inhouse movement.

Anyway the service cost me RM1500 and i think they changed stuff inside the watch as i noticed the watch is more firm when manual winding. No idea what they did to the watch as they dont list out in service paper. On the other hand, My watch was given 2 years warranty.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »

...If that scares you, you'll freak out if you service an AP.... its 5 figures....

Seriously!!! Would that be a regular 2 to 3 year cycle  maintenance service or a 5 yr cycle complete service?

That really defines 'Pay to Play'

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
When you buy a watch, you also gotta think of the cost of ownership as well. Same goes to car but then it is not as expensive as car in long term.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
I can totally understand that reality. It's just that I'm curious on the service rates of these ultra luxury brand.

Off topic: Makes you think, that if your children do inherit that timepiece that we keep for the next generation, it ought to come with the correct amount of inheritance to keep it in the family (and still running).

Offline dpkong

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
I can totally understand that reality. It's just that I'm curious on the service rates of these ultra luxury brand.

Off topic: Makes you think, that if your children do inherit that timepiece that we keep for the next generation, it ought to come with the correct amount of inheritance to keep it in the family (and still running).

Watches are bad inheritance. Better just sell 'em all off, enjoy the money and they can whatever cash is left after you check out.

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline nightwatchman

• Freshie
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
one watch sifu told me that i only need to service my watch when it stops moving.

rsc told me that i need to service every 5-7 years.

who to believe ah