Author Topic: Off to Hong Kong!  (Read 11823 times)

Offline STT1987

Off to Hong Kong!
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »
Going off to Hong Kong next week. Not a newbie there, new and "grey-dealer" prices are more expensive in HK after factoring credit card fees and exchange rates. New stuff, I can get here in Malaysia cheaper. If I am going to consider new stuff - it may be for Hublot which I can't get new in Penang.

Looking for decent used watch dealers (not vintage) in Hong Kong; specifically Rolex (sports models), Breitling, Panerai or Omega. Other mid-high luxury brands like Cartier also considered. Anybody have any recommendation for shops that they can post here. You can post general hints to the name and location here on this thread, specific addresses - please PM me and I will be very grateful.

Ya, I realize I am heading into the vortex HQ of the famous super-fakes of Asia. This is why I am asking if any of you guys know a used watch dealer in HK with a good reputation.
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline STT1987

Re: Off to Hong Kong!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »
Got a few PMs all pointing to a specific shop! Thanks! That's a good reputation indicator right there.
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
Plenty of them, especially at TST, around Holiday Villa Hotels, Nathan Road. Indeed, you can find a few preowned shops at the basement there. If those shops cant satisfy your requirement, walk a few blocks to hotel mira, opposite hotel mira, there is a building full of pre owned shops. Most of the shops are alright reliable I will say.

Also, there are a few of them at Shun Wo Center at Mongkok, Nathan Road. Most of them are alright too. Very competitive. Guess its just a matter of which one offering better price. Rolex in HK is generally cheaper than Msia.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline grifterfmj

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
Hi, mind to PM me as well? Will be going to HK in August, found one online KXnwatches but price seems comparable to Malaysia

Offline annielje

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
i am going to hong kong in sept.. would like to get cartier santos...

PM me some reliable shops too...

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »
Kxn watch is considered one of the reputable seller here. Pay them by cash, otherwise they will charge u additional 2-3% credit card subcharge. Also, you may negotiate a few percent to up to two digit off, depending on the models.

I think generally they are all reliable. But of course, if any piece is way lower than market price, then it ought to alarm you. I think the attractiveness to buy in HK is generally due to weaker hkd exchange rate. For instance, a brand new latest explorer 2 can be bought from those grey market at around 50k hkd which place it slightly below rm20k based on today's exchange rate.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
Watch shopping in HK is good.  Prices are nothing special, but the selection is excellent.  Really, if you're looking for a good deal, it's hard to beat the internet these days.  For me, HK is all about the food.  I wouldn't be spending too much time shopping, because I'd be too busy stuffing my fat face!!!

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »
Planning to go HK in July. Food is definitely top... not sure if wanna see watches... scared of the poison  :-\

Maybe will just drop by K*n watches to see in person... so far only dealt with them once over emails

Any suggestions on where I can browse vintage watches? Will prob check out the places mentioned by IWCKing. Thanks
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
Planning to go HK in July. Food is definitely top... not sure if wanna see watches... scared of the poison  :-\

Maybe will just drop by K*n watches to see in person... so far only dealt with them once over emails

Any suggestions on where I can browse vintage watches? Will prob check out the places mentioned by IWCKing. Thanks

IWC King is right. Plenty of shops at TST and Nathan Road area. I am not going to recommend any particular outlet. Just take an MTR to TST East station, exit at Salisbury Road / Peninsula Hotel. Just walk straight (away from the Art musuem) starting from the Peninsula Arcade (I seem to recall seeing a shop selling PAM inside, so you may want to check it out too if u r into these) towards iSquare etc etc. Plenty of shops along the way. Take yr time, go into the side streets (because there are more shops there), walk till there is nothing intersting to see, then cross the main road and and walk back (more shops at the other side of the road to go into)....then there is a big Rolex AD at Holiday Inn, check out some of the shops at basement level. This journey will take you half a day. That whole place is one big watch shop.. :thumbsup:   

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
Mongkok, along Nathan Road have alot of smaller shops very much worth your time.

For sheer volume of..there's also one in Kimberly Road round TST. A very much photographed shop among most watch forum members when they visit HK.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline rusminag

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
Champagne court...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:56:44 PM by rusminag »
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »
WOW!!  :thumbsup: Thanks to all the sifus! This feels like a kid waiting in anticipation of going to Disneyland.  :Jumping:

Think I should allocated 2 half days to comb through the treasure maze... planning to stay in TST / along Nathan Rd... so, will be just nearby.  ;D

I remember there was a watch shop next to a junction opposite a big Giordano (or Bossini) along Nathan Rd when I was there few year back. Just had a quick glance then as no money to spend on watches.

Didn't know the area is a Watch nest... Woo Hoo!!
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 03:46:33 PM »
WOW!!  :thumbsup: Thanks to all the sifus! This feels like a kid waiting in anticipation of going to Disneyland.  :Jumping:

Think I should allocated 2 half days to comb through the treasure maze... planning to stay in TST / along Nathan Rd... so, will be just nearby.  ;D

I remember there was a watch shop next to a junction opposite a big Giordano (or Bossini) along Nathan Rd when I was there few year back. Just had a quick glance then as no money to spend on watches.

If you have the time and enjoy a less cosmopolitan setting, you may wish to travel a bit into the "heartland" of Hong Kong. There is one at Pei Ho Street, which is just a short walk from the Sham Shui Po MTR station (red line). Shop may be a little small, but I once counted 12 pre-owned submariner date of various vintage on sale. If your cantonese is good enough, try your luck and get a good bargain!!  :laugh:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »

If you have the time and enjoy a less cosmopolitan setting, you may wish to travel a bit into the "heartland" of Hong Kong. There is one at Pei Ho Street, which is just a short walk from the Sham Shui Po MTR station (red line). Shop may be a little small, but I once counted 12 pre-owned submariner date of various vintage on sale. If your cantonese is good enough, try your luck and get a good bargain!!  :laugh:

Thanks Enkidu sensei! Think I will do that as well... I like to try the path less travelled... some place quieter to slowly enjoy the timepieces. As for my canto... ah well, poon thong sui... but think boleh pakai lah. But they sure know I am prob from Malaysia..  :D

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
Where are you staying?  We stayed at Langham Place in Mongkok when we visited HK a few years back.  It was an excellent hotel, right on top of a huge mall and MRT station, so extremely convenient.  Nice rooms and great value - highly recommended.  Oh, and their Michelin star rated flagship Chinese restaurant, Ming Court, is absolutely fantastic.  Some of the best Chinese food I've ever eaten.

I'm jealous!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:01:52 PM by jason_recliner »

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 08:39:56 PM »
Havent decided yet. Stayed at Novotel at Nathan Rd and YMCA Salisbury at TST many years back. This time round, wife is going there for work first, will stay at the hotel provided for her first before moving to our chosen hotel in TST. Will check out the Langham Hotel which sounds good and convenient. Thanks!

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
STT, did you manage to check out any good watch shops there?

Offline Pajero

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
pls update with photos from your visit  :)

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »
You guys are right... HK is the heart of the horology poison. It's everywhere!

I started from Sham Shui Po first but it was drizzling, hence didnt manage to see much but did come across a corner shop with quite a lot of Rolex, Omega, Cartier and few other brands. Then took mtr and got down at Jordan to walk around Nathan Rd.

Kimberly Road was a haven... went into a building that has 3 shops... one of them must be the one mentioned in the earlier post... hundreds of watches on display... for death by a thousand stings. Dunno if can upload photos of the long display windows as they have the websites posted there..
 will erase the name off...

I like their Zenith but just a handful that I can see from outside:

Some of their PAMs:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 09:54:55 PM »
Oops wrong photo for the Zenith

Took this Breitling... thot bro STT might like (sorry for the glare)

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
That's really a lot of watches.

Unfortunately their mass grave method of display make these watches much less appealing.  :Blue:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »
That's really a lot of watches.

Unfortunately their mass grave method of display make these watches much less appealing.  :Blue:

Yah agree. The watches were just laid side by side and some were stacked on top. Rolex, AP, PP... all treated the same. There were 2 more rows in the front of the shops and many more inside the shop. Just those inside the display windows were prob worth tens of millions. I didnt even dare to go in.  :shocked1:

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 08:38:25 AM »
Real pity.

So now the important question, did you bring back any trophy this time?  :laugh:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
Real pity.

So now the important question, did you bring back any trophy this time?  :laugh:

I went there with bare hands, just in case I see something too hard to resist..

And I came back with bare hands, and brought back my wallet intact..  :angel:

During dinner, my fren asked me what time it was...  :-X

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »
LOL.

That's like walk down the Amsterdam red light district with chastity belt on.  ;D

Pardon me if too adult theme.  :HammerHead: