Author Topic: LVMH takes over Bulgari  (Read 12526 times)

Offline takashi78

LVMH takes over Bulgari
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:54:56 AM »
Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy, the French luxury conglomerate, said today that it would take control of Italy’s Bulgari in an all-share deal worth 3.7 billion Euros.

Bulgari’s controlling family has agreed to exchange its 51 percent stake in the jeweler for 16.5 million LVMH shares, making it the second-largest family shareholder in the group. The family will also gain two seats on LVMH’s board, the company said.

“We found in Bernard Arnault and the group he has built all the elements that are required to guarantee the long-term future of Bulgari,” Paulo and Nicola Bulgari, chairman and vice chairman of the jeweler, said in a joint statement, referring to the head of LVMH.

Bulgari’s chief executive, Francesco Trapani, whom Mr. Arnault called “the driving force behind Bulgari’s development over the last twenty years,” will join LVMH’s executive committee, as well as lead the company’s expanded watches and jewelry business.

“As is the case with LVMH, the Bulgari family shareholders are directly involved in managing the company,” Mr. Arnault said, “they are entrepreneurs that know and excel in all aspects of the business.”

Official Press Release

The Bulgari family joins forces with LVMH and transfers its majority shareholding in Bulgari S.p.A.

The Bulgari Family, majority shareholder of the renowned Italian House established in 1884 by Sotirio Bulgari, has decided to join forces with the LVMH Group in order to reinforce, in accordance with its history, values, craftsmanship and identity, the long term development of the Bulgari Group. A synonym of creativity and excellence the world over, Bulgari is renowned as one of the major players in its sector and occupies a strong leadership position in the jewelry and watch segment, while playing an important role in the fragrance, cosmetic and accessories segments as well.

The agreement was concluded this weekend and was approved unanimously by the LVMH Board of Directors Sunday evening. The Board of Directors of Bulgari S.p.A. has also unanimously approved the project of contributing to LVMH the Family’s majority shareholding in Bulgari S.p.A. Upon completion of the share transfer process, LVMH will issue 16.5 million shares in exchange for the 152.5 million Bulgari shares currently held by the Bulgari Family, who will thus become the second largest family shareholder of the LVMH Group. In compliance with the Italian Stock Exchange regulations, LVMH will submit a Public Purchase Offer at the price of €12.25 per share on the shares held by minority stockholders, further details of which are described in the press releases issued today.

Paolo and Nicola Bulgari will remain Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Bulgari S.p.A. Board of Directors, respectively. The Bulgari Family will furthermore be entitled to appoint two representatives to the LVMH Board of Directors and Francesco Trapani, CEO of Bulgari S.p.A., will join the Executive Committee of LVMH and will assume in the second half of 2011 the management of the LVMH enlarged Watches and Jewelry activities. Philippe Pascal, the current Head of these activities, will remain on the LVMH Executive Committee and will be given new responsibilities within the Group.

Offline kltime

Re: LVMH takes over Bulgari
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
That's less one more independent watchmaker in an industry already dominated by multi-branded conglomerates, the biggest being Swatch followed by LVMH.

Can anybody confirm/update this list of brand owner and brands -

Swatch - Swatch/Tissot/ Mido / Longines / Rado / Hamilton / Omega / Breguet and of course movement maker ETA

LVMH - Tag Heuer/LV/Bulgari

Independents - Oris/Ball/Maurice Lacroix/Raymond Weil/Epos/Frederique Constant

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:56 AM »
That's less one more independent watchmaker in an industry already dominated by multi-branded conglomerates, the biggest being Swatch followed by LVMH.

Can anybody confirm/update this list of brand owner and brands -

Swatch - Swatch/Tissot/ Mido / Longines / Rado / Hamilton / Omega / Breguet and of course movement maker ETA

LVMH - Tag Heuer/LV/Bulgari

Independents - Oris/Ball/Maurice Lacroix/Raymond Weil/Epos/Frederique Constant
I think LVMH own Zenith as well.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »
May not be the most updated but here goes:

List does not include movement makers.

SWATCH
Swatch, Breguet, Blancpain, Jaquet Droz, Glashutte Original, Union Glashutte, Leon Hatot, Omega SA, Rado, Longines, Tissot, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Pierre Balmain, Flik Flak, Endura

RICHEMONT
Cartier, IWC, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, A. Lamge & Sohne, Piaget, Officine Panerai, Roger Dubuis, Baume & Mercier, Van Cleff & Arpels, Montblanc, Minerva (movement maker for Montblanc), Alfred Dunhill

LVMH
Louis Vuitton, Chaumet, Dior, Fred Joaillier, TAG Heuer, Zenith, De Beers, Hublot, Bulgari, Gerald Genta, Daniel Roth

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:45 AM »
Actually i find it a smart move on LVMH side.
Bulgari owns quite a few brands and seeing that they own Gerald Genta/Daniel Roth manufacture as well then that is what LVMH is targeting i think.
Using the know how and facilities to up their LV watch line.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
Actually i find it a smart move on LVMH side.
Bulgari owns quite a few brands and seeing that they own Gerald Genta/Daniel Roth manufacture as well then that is what LVMH is targeting i think.
Using the know how and facilities to up their LV watch line.

and hopefully they leave Zenith alone to grow.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »
There was this one time when I visited Singapore 2 years back and my friend wanted to get something frm LV.
So we went to the boutique.
I browsed at the watches adn a nice gentleman came over to ask me if there's anything I'm interested in.
I asked to see one of the Tambour watches.
So I just asked him what movement are they using.
The guy said that since LV owns Zenith, he's sure that LV watches are using Zenith movements.
I just nod coz I'm not very knowledgeable at that moment...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Horous

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
Seriously Being own by any of those retail giants really dilutes the watch brand. They lost their roots of history and no more inhouse movements. I stick with independent watches with in house movements. What you guys think?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:10 PM »
Horus,

No more in house?
Do you know what you are talking?

Bulgari didnt have any sel movt BEFORE they were bought over.
They just released their first self movt (if i'm not mistaken last year).
Now they are gonna benefit from the expertise of Gerald Genta & Daniel Roth manufacture.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
Seriously Being own by any of those retail giants really dilutes the watch brand. They lost their roots of history and no more inhouse movements. I stick with independent watches with in house movements. What you guys think?

Emmm..... let's see Lange is under one of the retail giants, as is VC, as is Panerai, as is Breguet as is Blancpain, as is Glashutte Original, as is Zenith, as is .... well you get the picture. Don't see the watch brand diluted or losing their roots or for that matter no more in-house movements. I see lots from Panerai, Omega, Zenith etc.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »

Panerai being the poster boy for expensive ETA7750, does it or did it dilute the brand?

here's a post i found online

Manufactures that mainly design and manufactures all major components of every watch in-house.Today the Rolex movements are still made by Aeglar,but today Aeglar is part of Rolex, but the movement side is still managed by a member of the Aeglar family since around the 1920s till present time

Rolex Watch Company.
(Shock kif system, escapements hairsprings, main-springs out sourced and crystals?) Update now Rolex use in some models own in-house hairsprings and paraflex shock system, and now own the crystal manufacture side but as far as I know they still out source main-springs.

Glashütte Original/Union Glashütte all in-house (not sure about the crystals)

Harry Winston Fine Timepieces (with collaborators help)

Seiko.They make everything in-house.

Urwerk. (even crystals designed all in-house)

2.Companies that design and manufactures every movement in-house, but uses suppliers for cases, dials,crystals, etc.

A. Lange & Sohne. (big date mechanism designed by JLC)

Blancpain.

Breguet.

Citizen.

Philippe Dufour.

Girard-Perregaux.

Jaeger-LeCoultre.

F.P. Journe.

Richard Mille.

Patek Philippe.
Now even Patek Philippe never made their own movements till the middle 1930s.And they still use a modded Lemania's Cal. 2310 as a base for some of there two register m/wind chronographs

Piaget.

Zenith.

3.Those companies who Design and manufactures most movements in-house, but also uses supplied ébauche movements mostly ETA Based and Lemania.

Audemars Piguet.

Parmigiani.

Roger Dubuis.

Vacheron Constantin. uses Lemania's Cal. 2310 as a base
ebauche to some of there M/wind cronos

4.Designs and manufactures some movements in-house, but mostly uses supplied ebauches then rework movements.

Chopard.

Ulysse Nardin.

Panerai.

5.Manufactures who use supplied ébauche or base movement, but do extensive and substantial in-house modification to movement, that a unique finished movement, only to that said manufacture results.
Note IWC now state they have designed a new movement.

Svend Andersen.

D. Dornblüth & Sohne.

IWC.

Paul Gerber.

Nomos.

Daniel Roth.

6. Designs and manufactures at least most movements in- house group, but uses other suppliers for cases, dials, etc.

Jacquet Droz.

Longines.

Omega.

Tissot.

Breitling.

7. Begins with supplied movements, but does additional finishing in-house or in-house-group.

Stowa/Jorg Schauer

8.Designs a few movements, receives completed movements, and assembles at least some watches in-house, but most out sourced.

Chronoswiss.
Tag Heuer.

9.Outsources all aspects of manufacturing.

All todays fashion brands.

10.Poljot. now produce all in-house movements,for chrono
range.

The Chronograph P3133 is based on the Swiss Valjoux 7734 movement,they bought the old tooling and rights.The Val 7734 was
in production from 1969-78 less than 2 million were made.Then the
Russian Poljot firm modified the Val 7734 into the P3133

But most movements that Poljot uses are based on popular Swiss movements,plus today in some of there watches,they use full ETA movements like the 2824.

The P3133 is based on the Valjoux 7734 movement.

The P2612 is based on the AS 1475 (alarm) movement
17-18 Jewel M/W

Below are the technical data of the Valjoux 7734, and a comparison with the Poljot 3133 after the modification.

Valjoux 7734-------------- Poljot 3133
Winding. Handwind.----------- Handwind.

Jewels. 17. ============ 23.

A/h. 18000. ---------- 21600.

P/R 36 hours-------------- 42 hours.

Offline Fairy Oly

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
omg.. all these looks very complicated to me.. +.+
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 04:45:46 AM »
+1 for me too fairy

complicated
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:09:34 AM »
Good information, but a tad dated.

AP has started to manufacture their own movement, so has Nomos (who previously does work on the 7001 movement). I believe Stowa via Jorg, will be fitting their watches with the DUROWE (Deutsche Uhrenrohwerke) movement. IWC already have their own movement. Rolex is fully 'in-house' as the main spring is now manufactured in-house (but not on all models as yet). Tag Heuer and Breitling also makes their own movement.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 06:23:10 AM »
Good information, but a tad dated.

AP has started to manufacture their own movement, so has Nomos (who previously does work on the 7001 movement). I believe Stowa via Jorg, will be fitting their watches with the DUROWE (Deutsche Uhrenrohwerke) movement. IWC already have their own movement. Rolex is fully 'in-house' as the main spring is now manufactured in-house (but not on all models as yet). Tag Heuer and Breitling also makes their own movement.

Wait a min, isn't nomos movement is based on 7001 which is modded very much till it is way different from the original movement like addition of date and auto winding mechanism? Not to mention really nice decorations eg hand produced blue screw.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »

Wait a min, isn't nomos movement is based on 7001 which is modded very much till it is way different from the original movement like addition of date and auto winding mechanism? Not to mention really nice decorations eg hand produced blue screw.

Yes this is true. Before 2005, Nomos basically used the 7001 with modifications, but since 2005, these movement with their extensive modification, they resemble very little with an original Peseux 7001 movement, can and are considered in-house movement manufactured by Nomos. Modifications include the introduction of the 3/4 plate (a Glashutte trademark), a hacking second hand and new 'click' mechanism. This is of course on the standard hand-wound movement. And as you highlighted, the addition of date and auto-winding mechanism as well for the other movement.

The standard 7001.

As used by Stowa.

Modified by Blancpain into caliber 64-1.

The calibre Alpha by Nomos.

On a side note, the 7001 is not made by Peseux, but by "Fabrique d'ebauches de Peseux, S.A." who produce the 7001 since 1971 to 1985. In 1985 it became ETA 7001 until 2004. 

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 08:32:58 AM »
thanks the hobbit.

The Alpha movement look the most simplest and pretty and yet pack loads of high end stuff.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »
thanks the hobbit.

The Alpha movement look the most simplest and pretty and yet pack loads of high end stuff.

Yes, agreed. Still trying to bring myself to getting one. Watch just not singing to me....

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »
thanks the hobbit.

Yes, agreed. Still trying to bring myself to getting one. Watch just not singing to me....
too small for you eh?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
Nomos watches are nice, but that model at 35mm is really too small.
But not for you Gigi !

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
Nomos watches are nice, but that model at 35mm is really too small.
But not for you Gigi !

the lug actually quite long and so It does make the watch look bigger. They also had 40 mm watch too if you dunno yet. :thumbsup:

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
Seiko.They make everything in-house.

Ultimately Seiko wins in all categories.... hahaha :thumbsup:
Jacky Wong