Author Topic: Scratch on sapphire crystal  (Read 8126 times)

Offline dexson

Scratch on sapphire crystal
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:46:16 AM »
Guys.. My OCD kicks in and I cannot un-see what is on my sapphire Crystal!!

Any tips to remove these 2 speks of small scratch? One is directly to the left of "(8 days) and the second is above the 6. - it's like just a white dot.

Should no easy DIY method available, will a regular watchmaker able to remove it?

Appreciate your kind advise!

Best regards,

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline dexson

Re: Scratch on sapphire crystal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:03:58 AM »
Circled in yellow for better visualization

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »
The scratches looked minimal and if you can't simply ignore it due to your OCD, then you could buff it off with a little diamond paste and working the scratch with a microfibre cloth in a circular motion. The scratch should disappear in a jiffy. Do take a look at the many vids on the Net for demonstration or to build up your confidence. It's just simple elbow grease, though I have to qualify that I can't be held accountable for any damages if anything untoward happens.

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline JohnLee

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:40:19 AM »
I think over thousand to replace new one from SC. There are also third party one avaialble but not sure what is the diffand cheaper.

Offline dexson

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:01 AM »
The scratches looked minimal and if you can't simply ignore it due to your OCD, then you could buff it off with a little diamond paste and working the scratch with a microfibre cloth in a circular motion. The scratch should disappear in a jiffy. Do take a look at the many vids on the Net for demonstration or to build up your confidence. It's just simple elbow grease, though I have to qualify that I can't be held accountable for any damages if anything untoward happens.

Thanks for your advice. A quick look over the net on "dia-paste" yields several types of specs "different microns particle". Which one do you suggest ?

It is more to a Chip-off during inspection on a loupe - does this method still applies ?

@Johnlee Changing crystal will be my last resort... but if the DIY method doesent work i'm going to change it anyway. ! Fingers crossed !

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:41 PM »
It is more to a Chip-off during inspection on a loupe - does this method still applies ?

If it was a chipped-off, then you're not going to be able to buff it out, mate.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Offline wristalk

• Freshie
  • Watch Aficionado
    • wristalk
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »
I got warned from a dealer, to be careful with your wife/ girlfriend jewelries, as friction from diamond could scratch your sapphire glass.
SELLING MY PERSONAL COLLECTION AT: http://bit.ly/2DcqE53

Offline JohnLee

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »
I got warned from a dealer, to be careful with your wife/ girlfriend jewelries, as friction from diamond could scratch your sapphire glass.

Yes it does and gf and wife wear the watch like a bracelet. Scratches everywhere  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Timeless

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:44:09 AM »
Replace the glass in SC required full service, estimates 2k. Third party could do replacement alone for couple of hundreds but the source might not be authentic though.

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:12:57 AM »
Yes it does and gf and wife wear the watch like a bracelet. Scratches everywhere  :'( :'( :'(

I see you like to live dangerously, mate  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dexson

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
Replace the glass in SC required full service, estimates 2k. Third party could do replacement alone for couple of hundreds but the source might not be authentic though.

You mean full service plus additional glass change to be around 2k ?
Made a call to AD yesterday and a salesperson said around 4k just to change the glass... nowdays cannot trust AD !

Offline dexson

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 12:04:29 PM »
Update - Sent my pam560 to a watchmaker whom claimed that can fix it for RM150.. He tried for 30mins and informed me that the scratch was too deep. He didn't charge me anything.. I appreciate his effort for trying to helping tho  :Cheers:...

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
Sapphire is quite hard to fix even with diapaste. I would suggest replacing it with a third party but reputable service maker. One that can guarantee the WR.
IG : watchstories.my

Offline Cocas

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »
Understand okd is unbearable but to me, your watch glass still hold and good for water resistant. Just bear with it. 

Offline JohnLee

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 05:56:35 AM »

Wife said thats the purpose if you bought for me. Just wear la.   :'(

Offline D'Andy

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 11:31:19 AM »

LOL, my emphasis was on the AND  ;D   Wristalk talked about wife / gf. You talked about both your gf and wife wearing 'em watches like bracelets. You are the real 007, mate!

Offline JohnLee

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 11:47:13 AM »

LOL, my emphasis was on the AND  ;D   Wristalk talked about wife / gf. You talked about both your gf and wife wearing 'em watches like bracelets. You are the real 007, mate!

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Im in trouble omg!!
I actually mean or... It applied to my gf b4 she married me i bought a rolex for her and after we are married i got her another rolex. Both got scratches everywhere.  :'(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:25:23 PM by JohnLee »

Offline dexson

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 03:44:56 PM »
Final update :

As the thing that bothers me the most is the white chip of marks which really shows on black dial, I found a workaround which is to apply permanent black marker on top of it to make the chip mark black. Then I clean off the excess ink.

The result - is a totally unnoticeable chip mark unless viewed at certain angle or directly under sunlight. The usual viewing angle ie admiring watch on office desk/driving position will render the mark invisible.

Not sure if this considered a fix - but definitely gave me a peace of mind !