Poll

Do you generally prefer a simple (2-3 hands) or complicated watches? How about your next target?

Generally prefer simple; next target is also a simple 2-3 handers
16 (61.5%)
Generally prefer simple; but next target is a watch with complication(s)
6 (23.1%)
Generally prefer complicated; next target is also a watch with complication(s)
2 (7.7%)
Generally prefer complicated; but next target is a simple 2-3 handers
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Your next target: Simple or complicated  (Read 4712 times)

Offline roystock

Your next target: Simple or complicated
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
Good day guys,

A simple poll: simple 2-3 handers vs complicated watches (any watches with >3 hands).
Which one do you like in general and which one is your next target?

Personal experience: When I started buying watches 2 years back, I was fascinated by the complicated watches.
My first luxury watch was a Zenith El Primero (6 handers), followed by a JLC perpetual calendars (6 handers) and Speedy (6 handers).

As time goes by however, I started to appreciate the simple 2-3 handers.
In fact, I even found that the GMT hand on my Rolex GMT Master 2, when I am not overseas, as an unnecessary eyesore.  :P

I am now considering selling some complicated one and switch into the simpler one.
I am not sure this is just part of the WIS life cycle, or was it a permanent shift.

What about yourself? What's your experience and do you prefer simple or complicated?  :)

Offline mono

• Freshie
Re: Your next target: Simple or complicated
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
While I will be thinning out my collection soon , i also trying to build up a new collection of 4-5 pieces of quality watches. my aim for the collection will be three pieces of simple three hands and one or two pieces of complicated, may be a chronograph or a annual calender. currently i have two in my collection already, both are three hands so even i want to get another three hands , i will probably buy a complicated the next time.  my taste for watches has not changed since started. simple three hands  without date is what i considered to be best watch design.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
I’d like to have one additional complication to it that does not affect the legibility and does not compromise the simplicity of the dial and its first glance clarity. This can be a power reserve, a moonphase or perhaps a panoramic/large date.

I usually attracted to watches with complications but I would eventually end up with simpler watches. There’s always something holding me back to commit to watches with unnecessary complications.

For example, I have reservation about chronographs.  Firstly, I don’t really use it, and secondly, I need to see that central needle second hand moving at all times. Also, I find all GMTs, no matter how well designed, are distracting. I guess It’s just me.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
Most of my watches are divers as they have 3 hands. Simple to read. Now focusing more on watches without date.

:Cheers:
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline Everdying

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
i prefer simple.
my most 'complicated' watches are my casio protreks :P

the only one with some sort of complication i have is a omega GMT, which i am selling off anyway.
would much prefer quick set date than a quick set hour movement too, which basically are what the 'fake' GMTs do.

Offline Clicko

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:49:51 AM »
I have mixed collections - chronograph and 3-handers. I still prefer a simple 3-handers with date and good legibility as next target

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:01:14 PM »
I started off with the simple 3-handers, moved on to include GMTs and Chronos; and thereafter started thinning the collecting back to 3-handers. I find that the dials looked the best with 3-handers. I also experienced with non-dated 3-handers for a more balanced and symmetrical outlook; but thereafter decided that having the date was more helpful than otherwise. The only other complication that I would think still look good on the dial, was the power reserve indicator.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Timeless

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
Always prefer the dial express in simple way, Less in More~

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
i prefer two hands and no date.....
Jacky Wong

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
I prefer 3 hands...
Date or no date would depend... currently more into no date... simpler better...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline roystock

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
I am pretty surprised by the poll.
Over 86% of voters preferred simple watch, such strong majority !!

I guess the change is my taste is permanent then.
My next 2 targets are simple 3-handers and will try to sell a chrono to fund it  :)

Offline FauziZixxer6

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
I prefer 3 hand with 1 small subdial...

Offline amir1218

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 07:19:39 AM »
I prefer simple three hand watches.
Like the clean and uncluttered dial.
I like looking at chronographs when its on display.. but when I put it on just doesn't mix well..