Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61440 times)

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2021, 11:02:53 AM »
Go grey if you want a Rolex. Don’t hope on AD anymore...

AD doesnt sell sport model alone to you. Their bundle cross sell marketing strategy apply to those rich people, not us

Anyone knows what kinda bundle they're doing?

I.e. to get a Batgirl, what other watches' brand / revenue they're looking to bundle together with it?

Rather buy a sport model from grey market than spending 10 to 100 thousand in AD before getting any sport model from them
Just curious  ;D

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2021, 12:17:48 PM »

AD doesnt sell sport model alone to you. Their bundle cross sell marketing strategy apply to those rich people, not us

I.e. to get a Batgirl, what other watches' brand / revenue they're looking to bundle together with it?

Just curious  ;D
Very likely deadstock
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »
Rediculous pricing for Rolex sport model, overheat price tag i can say

Offline dpkong

« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »

Rather buy a sport model from grey market than spending 10 to 100 thousand in AD before getting any sport model from them
Just curious  ;D

So you'd rather pay 165k for a Daytona at grey dealer rather than pay the AD the same amount for Daytona plus few other watches? Is the steel Daytona worth 165k? Is the steel Nautilus worth 400k? You can also sell off the other watches if you don't like them and get some money back but the premium paid to grey dealer is gone.

Only people who have access to easy money or those who think it's an "investment" would buy. A watch fan would not.

And most of the people giving the thumbs up to buy from grey dealers are probably grey dealers or friends of that group.

And lastly, even if you spend 165k at the grey dealer, you won't get any special treatment the next time you buy, unlike an AD who would have taken your spending history into account.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #204 on: April 11, 2021, 10:05:55 PM »

That's why you're selling the Daytona?

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2021, 05:18:39 AM »

Just curious  ;D

So you'd rather pay 165k for a Daytona at grey dealer rather than pay the AD the same amount for Daytona plus few other watches? Is the steel Daytona worth 165k? Is the steel Nautilus worth 400k? You can also sell off the other watches if you don't like them and get some money back but the premium paid to grey dealer is gone.

Only people who have access to easy money or those who think it's an "investment" would buy. A watch fan would not.

And most of the people giving the thumbs up to buy from grey dealers are probably grey dealers or friends of that group.

And lastly, even if you spend 165k at the grey dealer, you won't get any special treatment the next time you buy, unlike an AD who would have taken your spending history into account.

I agree with you bro except for one. I wish the AD would take a RM165k bundle and give me a Daytona immediately.  :Laughing_on_floor: The figure hinted to me was a lot more and the type of watches in the bundle was really atrocious.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2021, 06:28:20 AM »

I agree with you bro except for one. I wish the AD would take a RM165k bundle and give me a Daytona immediately.  :Laughing_on_floor: The figure hinted to me was a lot more and the type of watches in the bundle was really atrocious.

That sad to hear seeing that you're a customer with history. Not exactly an AD friend then.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2021, 06:33:29 AM »
Personally, ownership of Rolex was meant to be a sign of achievement. This was not something I could easily afford over a decade ago; which meant it needed work, perseverance... so when I finally managed to get my first Submariner, there was a huge sense of elation and accomplishment. From a time where used Submariners sold for under retail, to slight premiums, to the madness it is today... I am sure more than a few of us have seen it all (some bros here, even before my time).

Today, that sense of accomplishment feels... diluted. My long time grail, I will not sell (I have made that mistake once, and it wasn't too hard to correct it). But it is unlikely I will purchase any Rolex in the foreseeable future; not just because an AD will not give me the opportunity or because there aren't any new models that interest me, but also because I cannot justify prices today. At least not for some models I have yet to acquire.

I am moving on.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2021, 06:46:19 AM »

I think that echos the feeling of many ROLEX buyers who were into the brand before the investment and speculation madness began. For many, they would either wait to get one from an AD or move on to something else and for the asking prices for grey market ROLEX you would rather look at Zenith, JLC, VC or even AP and PP.

Too many grey dealers or wannabe grey dealers in the forums now sniffing the market and pushing the agenda to buy grey so they can line their pockets. Takes away a lot of fun for the real fans.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2021, 06:47:02 AM »
I passed by JB midvalley AD outlet yesterday. To my surprise, it's crowded.

Understand there is no way to get any SS models there, I supposed the customers there for getting gold and platinum Rolex.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2021, 06:51:04 AM »

Understand there is no way to get any SS models there, I supposed the customers there for getting gold and platinum Rolex.

Not surprising considering how the sold gold Daytona models are going up...

Everyone has a little money to gamble on something and the ROLEX madness has made it a cheap starting point to double your money quickly.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2021, 07:23:49 AM »
While I am happy for my Rolex values keep appreciating every years, I am wearing them less nowadays.

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2021, 08:03:16 AM »

That's why you're selling the Daytona?

:Laughing_on_floor:

The Pepsi Oyster looks good. want to change from panda and try

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2021, 01:10:09 PM »

I heard from a friend that the Rolex boutiques in Midvalley KL has a line build up too...perhaps the new model demo units have arrived?

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
HG need to spend 130k minimum for them to put you into ‘waiting lists’ for sp model.

Strangely, new buyer still hoping for a rrp sport model?

If no AD history, just go get from grey..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #215 on: April 12, 2021, 01:40:26 PM »
HG need to spend 130k minimum for them to put you into ‘waiting lists’ for sp model.

RM160k for a Daytona?

Go buy a Vacheron Constantin Overseas chrono instead. Much nicer build, comes with 3 quick change straps too and you got money left over to pop into the OMEGA boutique next door to get yourself a Speedmaster and still have change left over...

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2021, 01:53:08 PM »

Just curious, have you or any other member here speak with their ADs directly about the "Spend History" or "Bundling" in order to get in the waitlist for the watch you want?

I purchase from grey and that's only because the ADs never have the models I want, and never gave me a guarantee that if I were to spend xxx amount of money or say bundle with xxx models, then I will guarantee to have the piece I want in an estimated time frame.

I spoke with a SA at Pavillion before and I was being very upfront about it and asked him "Do you accept bundling? I am willing to buy certain less desirable pieces as a gift to my parents/gf in order to get on the list for xxx reference." The guy straight up just said no they do not condone this type of practice. So that really leaves me no choice but to go grey re... maybe I looked like a flipper? I was being very sincere...

If an AD tells me "Look, if you are willing to buy xxx + xxx then we will make sure you get the reference you want in xxx months" then I wouldn't have gone grey at all.

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2021, 01:57:05 PM »

The requirement very high indeed. Tats why grey can sell premium price. People blame this is Grey fault but in fact this situation caused by AD.

I went to Pavillion Rolex, to ask the starbuck, the SA asking me to start my jouney from Hourglass first

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2021, 02:05:59 PM »

Lets say 130k min to get to waiting list for sport model, Daytona retail is 60k
190k you need to burn from AD. This is solely rough calculation.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2021, 02:20:34 PM »

Just curious, have you or any other member here speak with their ADs directly about the "Spend History" or "Bundling" in order to get in the waitlist for the watch you want?

I purchase from grey and that's only because the ADs never have the models I want, and never gave me a guarantee that if I were to spend xxx amount of money or say bundle with xxx models, then I will guarantee to have the piece I want in an estimated time frame.

I spoke with a SA at Pavillion before and I was being very upfront about it and asked him "Do you accept bundling? I am willing to buy certain less desirable pieces as a gift to my parents/gf in order to get on the list for xxx reference." The guy straight up just said no they do not condone this type of practice. So that really leaves me no choice but to go grey re... maybe I looked like a flipper? I was being very sincere...

If an AD tells me "Look, if you are willing to buy xxx + xxx then we will make sure you get the reference you want in xxx months" then I wouldn't have gone grey at all.

How these AD can promise or make a deal with you when they don’t even know what’s ‘incoming’ stock from Rolex? Rolex Geneva is one of the most secretive company on the planet..

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »

From what I heard from an SA before (after I bought a not so desirable piece at that point) - you will need around RM200k in total purchase history - this was about 2 years ago. Then - you will get in the "Real" waiting list. Still a waiting list. Not confirmed. He even shared how many pieces their outlet received roughly throughout that year.

In another AD, I got a 114060 before - my mistake was to quote that as purchase history - because if you did not buy any other models from them before - they will de-prioritize you even more as you already 'got' your sports model. They will save that for other whales who are willing to buy other models from them. They are looking at future potential. Not just history.

Sad, but true.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2021, 02:30:23 PM »

You can blame anyone you like.. AD, grey, runner, flipper but there are people out there getting steel models at retail price.

They're just not pushy about it.

Just because you've got 100k to spend on watches doesn't mean they need to lay down the red carpet for you. Because there are a lot of other people who can spend much more than that.

Still it doesn't mean that you can't get it or you need to spend xxx amount first. That's just a test to see what kind of buyer you are. Nothing wrong in wanting to collect only steel ROLEX but then so does everyone else and the flippers and the greys so how do you present yourself as different.

And as the market prices go up, how many aren't tempted to cash in?

I'd say it all boils down to how people approach the subject. No AD would dare to guarantee a delivery date for any watch. Even the solid gold DayDate are now hard to get from ROLEX. You need to have patience with an AD and make friends with them. Asking them to guarantee a delivery is a sure fire way to wear out your chances.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2021, 02:47:49 PM »
What AD is doing now can be defined as unfair trading or abusive of position/Authorized Dealership?

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »

You can blame anyone you like.. AD, grey, runner, flipper but there are people out there getting steel models at retail price.

They're just not pushy about it.

Just because you've got 100k to spend on watches doesn't mean they need to lay down the red carpet for you. Because there are a lot of other people who can spend much more than that.

Still it doesn't mean that you can't get it or you need to spend xxx amount first. That's just a test to see what kind of buyer you are. Nothing wrong in wanting to collect only steel ROLEX but then so does everyone else and the flippers and the greys so how do you present yourself as different.

And as the market prices go up, how many aren't tempted to cash in?

I'd say it all boils down to how people approach the subject. No AD would dare to guarantee a delivery date for any watch. Even the solid gold DayDate are now hard to get from ROLEX. You need to have patience with an AD and make friends with them. Asking them to guarantee a delivery is a sure fire way to wear out your chances.

I'm not sure if you're speaking to me directly but I truly, honestly do not blame any one. I just want to buy the watch I want and I need to know exactly how and when I can get the watch, that's all.

I can assure you that in real life, you will definitely not see me as a condescending, cocky guy with the "look at me I've got money to spend" attitude. When I speak to these SAs in the ADs, I approach them with very sincere and humble attitude. I may have omitted that in my last post to make me look pushy, but bottom line is, I myself do business with other very successful people and I learn from all of them, I treat others the way I'd like to be treated, so I definitely speak with these SAs with utmost respect. I also don't act like I'm begging either, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm only curious about the "spend history" or "bundling" aspect of it because some members here mentioned it, while I myself have never heard it directly from the SAs despite many visits. To me, if the ADs has a precise requisite for me to get on the list, I definitely would try that out. 

It really doesn't matter to me though, because I have already gone grey for all of my pieces that I wanted and I'm content with my collection (for now). Still, I would want to begin a relationship with an AD because I never know if there's a next piece I want.

You make total sense and I don't disagree with you. And from the replies of other members here, it sure sounds like even the ADs don't know when or what pieces they will be getting, so I understand now that by asking them for a guarantee would not be the wisest thing to do - and so that really leaves me one sure way to obtain the piece I want, which is grey, and I've already done so long ago.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:03:48 PM by IamJacky »

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2021, 03:09:44 PM »

From what I heard from an SA before (after I bought a not so desirable piece at that point) - you will need around RM200k in total purchase history - this was about 2 years ago. Then - you will get in the "Real" waiting list. Still a waiting list. Not confirmed. He even shared how many pieces their outlet received roughly throughout that year.

In another AD, I got a 114060 before - my mistake was to quote that as purchase history - because if you did not buy any other models from them before - they will de-prioritize you even more as you already 'got' your sports model. They will save that for other whales who are willing to buy other models from them. They are looking at future potential. Not just history.

Sad, but true.

Thanks for sharing. I suppose this entry point of RM150-200k makes sense. Another question if you don't mind, if an AD offers different brands, will buying a non-Rolex brand (such as PP) count towards your spend history with that specific AD? or just towards the specific brand you bought?