Author Topic: Panerai PAM390 44mm Boutique Special Edition  (Read 13022 times)

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
Panerai PAM390 44mm Boutique Special Edition
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »
Somehow after owning it for a few months, I realised I haven't took the time to compliment this wonderful timepiece by Panerai not so long ago. This was indeed a sudden release which became a hot favorite of mine just awhile ago. But until now, still holds a special place in my heart. One of the first piece i would pick up if i were to go out to meet other ristis.

A bit of its origin

Firstly, let's talk a bit about origins. Back in the 1997-98 era, the 5218-201A was introduced (often referenced as the original LOGO). Of course not very collectible or hot then, times have indeed been kind to the brand. This piece is one of the most sought after piece, and to many like myself, a grail piece.

*photos borrowed from paneristi.com
notice that the "LUMINOR PANERAI" tag to be on top with a "OP" logo on the bottom, hence making a very balanced dial.

here, you can see a comparison between a preA2 base (without the logo) against the 201A.

from now you should be able to roughly tell why the LOGO 201A is so sought after.
If you cannot tell yet, well let me roughly identify the perks :
1) tritium scallop dial (thick thick and pumpkin color fonts)
2) very balanced dial with a nice logo on the bottom
3) unmatching dial and hands (creating an interesting contrast)

Then, in 2010, the PAM360 was introduced in line with celebrating the PANERISTI.com community of 10 years.
Unfortunately, this "community" watch was only produced in a small number of 300 pcs only. This means only a small fraction of the community will be able to purchase this beautiful piece.

Notice the similarities between the PAM360 and the original logo 201A.
Aside from having a PVD (black treatment) case and more modern fonts and dial design, you cannot help but feel that they are very similar and in fact to some like me, an improvement (because mainly of not being so fragile like tritium watches are).

*photos borrowed from perpetuelle.com

Now question would be, how many of us would actually be lucky enough to own a PAM360?
Either you have major connections, or deep pockets because the grey pieces are selling at nearly 5x the original price.
If you follow the risti forum enough, you would know that there was a lot of wishing around, telling and begging panerai to make something similar again, hopefully in bigger numbers so more of us get a chance.

Before 3Q of 2011 ended, Panerai came through for us, and introduced the PAM390.
It was a sudden release, with no particular warning or notice. In fact, i only found only via the forum about its release.
Frantically, i believe everybody started making phone calls to boutiques and ADs. Well, the rest is history.

Introduction
The PAM390 is a special edition model, much awaited as it was considered as "base" which had similarities as the LOGO.
A total of 2000 pcs will be made all in 2011 and this model was only distributed via Panerai boutiques.

For me, this is the true community watch, since there's almost enough pieces to go around. Even if you were to pay premium, the price is not that much  as compared to the previous models.

What is in the package?
The PAM390 is a 44mm Luminor Pre-V case, which has similar to many of the current production ETA models.
This case style is very similar to that of the vintages (pre-V and pre-A, albeit a little bit of differences at the lugs).

The 44mm was actually the true "big" watch back in the day, when 45-47mm were unheard of yet.

The dial is of cos a base model with 3,6,9 and 12 indices with gold hands.
The fonts on the dial are painted pumpkin color to look just like a vintage. (of cos some of us complain that it's not FAT enough like the true vintages).
The interesting part of the dial is the tobacco color chosed. This color is similar to that of another hot Special Edition PAM232 (but the PAM232 is a sandwich dial).

The watch comes with a crystal glass on top and a solid case back on the bottom.
The solid case back has a submarine PIG slc engraved. Although to some, they prefer clear case back to see the movement, I for one, prefer a solid caseback, since it's more authentic as a vintage.

The Set

Since this model is regarded as a SPECIAL EDITION, it comes in a SE box (a presentation box 1.5x larger than the regular production ones). I believe every panerai collector should get at least 1 of these boxes, they are really beautiful and much more classier and well made than the normal ones. It even comes with a KEY!! to lock the box.

The PAM390 comes with one of the best OEM straps which is the assolutamente which gets more beautiful as it ages and a OEM rubber strap.

Overall Build

The overall build of the PAM390 is just like any other Panerais i have ever encountered (PAM000,312,359,etc.).
It's very well made and has a very good heft to it. Fits just nicely on a wrist.

The movement is based on a Swiss ETA modified to Panerai's requirement.

Comparison with Other Models

here a comparison between 47mm Luminor PAM372, a 47mm Radiomir Composite PAM339 and the 44mm Luminor PAM390

Wrist Shots
and now for the most important part of the review  ;D

strap used here is a kevin adeeos ammo, with just enough tail

that's all from me for now. i hope you guys enjoyed my long winded story and thanks for letting me share my passion for my favorite brand.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:58:56 PM by dsiewmy »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Panerai PAM390 44mm Boutique Special Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
One of my favorite pams.

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
One of my favorite pams.

nice  :thumbsup: mind showing yours with a wrist shot?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »
One of my favorite pams.

nice  :thumbsup: mind showing yours with a wrist shot?
I wish I got one  ;D

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »
realised some photos not working and fixed it, thanks to a nice member for pointing out.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »
I love the watch (and brand) but sadly it was the one that broke the camel's back (for me).

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:38:09 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline gloomis

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
only u can write details like this....great job. reading thru make ppl feel like owning one without thinking further

Offline joskovic

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
interesting write-up on 1 of my fav Panerai... the PAM390!!

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
nice! my target PAM = M00329 Steel Luminor 1950 GMT Black Dial Watch
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
to be honest, i've had my fair share of pams, from funny gmts to power reserves to etc. etc. etc.

nothing beats the allure of a simple base. maybe i'm just a base head.

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »
can do some fav pam ranking ?  ;D
every pam also look nice
thanks

Offline Fei

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »
Amazing write up, I share the same feeling - the base PAMs are simply alluring but somehow, I still like one that has the seconds hand to remind me that the watch is still ticking!

Offline Pierre

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing, love the PAM 390 but can get it in Malaysia? Another hot model :thumbsup:

Offline bluetuna

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 05:58:11 AM »
Great write-up and very information. This is especially so for newbie like me to this iconic (if that's the right word) brand. Thanks.

Offline WilsonWS

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
Sweet! Great Review Dsiewmy. 

Kind regards,
Wilson

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
to be honest, i've had my fair share of pams, from funny gmts to power reserves to etc. etc. etc.

nothing beats the allure of a simple base. maybe i'm just a base head.

:thumbsup: