Author Topic: End of long journey : Beginning of a new story  (Read 14561 times)

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
End of long journey : Beginning of a new story
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
One so hard to get, once you have it…perhaps the one you love the most…

In the previous posting I have already writen down some story on this particular watch…and guess what??? after 11 years of being apart…last Saturday we are back together…reunited….Thanks to Bro Nick….

So here it is …the story begin….

When I posted the picture for the first time in my facebook last sat, I was asked by many….what is so special about this watch ? I said…you know one of those thing that money cant buy ? The great memory hold by possession we have ? If I have with my other half our very first kiss…then I have with my watches this very first one…

The story goes back in 1997…The first time ever I walk into a shop with cash in hand to buy my very own watch , by myself…the age is 15…I was studying at a boarding school…it was near to PMR examination week..And to motivate me, my mom hand me RM 100 to buy me a new watch, with another 100 for a month meal…guess what, I spend it all on a new G-Shock…imagine the hunger I have to endure the following month…being a teenager hunger seem to strike every single minute….

Needless to say…I scored 8A’s in PMR…so I guess, the watch really motivate me and worth every single cent…

In 1998 I was transferred to new science school…and I bring it along with me…In 1999 someone stole the watch..and being an idiot…I accused someone…and beat the crap out of him…resulting me being suspended for two good weeks facing my parents tantrum for my misbehaved the whole two weeks….

Needled to say, I never manage to recover and I never find out who stole it from me ???

Ever since and,  every now and then I keep on visiting watch shop and take a peek to look out for this model…needless to say, the model was long discontinued….frustrated, I keep on the search until eventually I forgot about it….

Back then I though it was a lonely world…who would spend crazy money on watches ?? but I continue my own journey…buying one watch after another…but then again yours truly is such a reckless moron ….and one after another I lost my watch……..sigh….Luckily I was not so opened up on watches like now, and hence the watches I lose are those not so “cool” watches

In mid 2007 i took an oath to myself to really take a good care of my watches if ever wanted to start a collection...till then the most i manage to to keep at a time would be 2 or 3 pieces...and till today, i only manage to keep the only one piece from prior mid 2007

A few years back, I come across with the community…then I realize it is bigger than life…there are those who are as sick as me…collecting watches like nobody business…and over the year my knowledge expended and got to know and differentiate the quality of watches..If before I would thought a Guess watch is a cool watch now I know a Guess watch is a cool dress watch and that is about it….Then earlier this year I join the MWF and also have my own small community of watch collectors from all around Malaysia. Also started my own blog on my passion….

That stir my emotion, to reminisce about the good old days and how I started the passion…despite realizing the passion was developed at early age (my first watch that I kept till today…a Sanyo digital watch given by my dad when I was 7) the G-Shock was my first real purchase, and the reason to all that happened…

So that spark my intention to look out for this model..but first I need to know what is the model ?? It took me several months to find a picture of this watch…First thing first this model is not the sp "prominent" model. Nobody seem to know or ever heard about it…and it has long being discontinued…needles to say me memory detoriated a lil so I don’t remember much about the watch…until one day I come across with a website that show this picture…
Phew !!! Walla !!! Yeappy ya yo!!!! That lead me to post my desire in getting this model in several website, forum and blog…After a while…I come across, (with help from bro Jamlama) with a seller from US selling this exact same model on ebay…and in his advert he said

From Casio Spring 1997 Catalog
G-shock GLide
DW-9000-1BVT (079767566982)
I was an authorized dealer with an export account and still have my receipts/account number. These were put in to storage and I've just recently re-discovered them. They really are a nice blast from the past and give me great memories. As you can see they are NIB MIB and have only been taken out once to photograph for Ebay. These will require a new battery which will only cost about $5. Please see the details for the battery type.
Please see the pictures for all the functions of the watch. At the end of the slide show is a detailed spec sheet.

I was in joy…but looking at the price and postage cost…I scratch my head and give myself the benefit of doubt…Should I spend so much ? It seem he put  up quite a hefty price… However despite the doubt, I bid on the watch .... several days later...i received and email and  I was let down….He refused to sell it to me…he said...I am from Malaysia and I have low rating on Ebay…I went beserk…I checked my rating and it was 100%, I send a nice email begging him to sell but he simply refused…Later on I had discussion with a friend on it and he suggested my rate was low as I don’t have much transaction on ebay…sigh….i took a deep breath….could this be the end of my quest… ?

Not long after, a friend come to me offering his service. He has a good ebay rating and he has spoken to the same seller who agreed to sell it to him. This time I do my math, the cost of watch, the delivery cost, the commission I should pay my friend then I decided that it cost way too much….so politely I turned down his offer…

Now next thing happen like magic…I guess what written the “The Secret” book by Rhonda Byrne is quite true…send out the signal strongly and the “universe” will answer…and Bro Nick become the universe obedient servant…. J He told me he know someone in Taiwan who has the BNIB of that model and willing to help me.And this time the price is just right…So within days we exchange email and I transfer deposit to his account…2 weeks later the watch has arrived here in our soil….but that doesn’t mean the end of my journey…Nick was busy, and I was busy…then I was sick…then he was busy…then bla bla bla…..months passed…I couldn’t meet him to collect…finally we decided to courier the watch to me…So I bank in the balance of payment…Last Sat nick contact me and told me he was too busy…and will send it to POSLAJU on that day, quick check he was at leisure mall which is nearby to me..i reckon wish not to wait any longer…we decided to meet and I drove to leisure mall …

Finally , this one is on my hand…I was so excited that I post the first picture on my blog while driving ….
So …what the fuss…Check out the pic…some shot I took on the watch…

Fresh in box...

A norm for G-Shock...Thick Case...and check out the cool white button

Aged design...that never look aged...

The grey guide / flap /wing what ever name you want to name make this feel comfortable when i used long ago...nowadays...with the excess fat i have ...damn, it is not as comfy as before...

It even come with manual....a very old manual....

Strong build...

This rather frustrating then...and frustrating now...I would prefer a steel buckle...

Bright cyan illumination light...juts press the G...owh i love this part..This one is even better than the GA100

Time to meet the family

From three different generation...From Left 1997 , Early 2000 and 2010

The three brothers..

When ever i put either one on, it feel like i can convert my ride to a robot like mospeada at any time

The different strap

Rumble

Hey you think you 3 so tough meh ???

Lets give em a shock....earthquake ...run...!!!

Apperently they survive the test...And now reside in the family lair...

Anyhow...if ever you have doubt on the tougness of this watch...check this out....http://geargeeksreview.blogspot.com/2008/06/g-shock-dw-9000-torture-test.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:45:21 AM by mnazri.tan »

Offline Scott C.

Re: End of long journey : Beginning of a new story
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
Nazri ;) what a good story and thanks for sharing this with us  :thumbsup:

scott

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:48:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing this with us. It's really hard to repurchase watches which are obsolete for ten years or more. Wear it with good health bro. Cheers :Cheers:
Jacky Wong

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:58:51 AM »
my pleasure...otherwise who would want to hear such a silly story ? only us...the sick watch collectors would understand and appreciate the joy i am expressing....hehehehhe

thanks for sparing time to read also... :)

Offline adrian

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
Congrats bro on a classic G.  :thumbsup:

I don't know why Casio don't include those flaps in all their Gs except for the G-Rescue series. I personally find Gs with those flaps are the most comfortable ones.

Offline kenixck

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:51:46 PM »

own a similar one with fabric strap, after awhile (more than 1 year), fabric become dirty and smelly, then sold of in ebay :P

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
Bro, great story and congrats on the watch. Wear it with good health.

Offline Cloud7

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:18:24 PM »
I salute u bro... Great story! Keep this watch... For ur son!
Tell him ur story!

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 10:34:43 PM »
What a wonderful story of the search for a long lost love with a happy ending. Congrats.

:Cheers:

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »
Danny - Happy ending it is...hehhee...

Chrisyen - Thank you chris...for my son...hmmmm ...that is an idea....cool

Cloud 7- Thank you

The Hobbit - Thanks bro..but how to wear it with good health la we...hehehhehe

Kenixck - Should have sell it to me...hehehe.....Btw i never like the fabric strap...smelly...and do you know in some country the fabric strap with this model are sold as Ford Focus Edition

andrian - the flap is good for certain size of hand...it was good on me back then..nowadays, with the excess fat....OMG...it is not as comfy as before...

Offline duniajam

• Dunia Jam
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 10:51:03 AM »
Congrats bro... your story really inspired me  :thumbsup:

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »
against you...my story just merely a story...i have my utmost respect to you bro :)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Enjoy reading the story bro  :thumbsup:

Offline duniajam

• Dunia Jam
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 02:29:04 PM »
Huhu.... :'( Sob sob...

:thumbsup:

Offline Broleo

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
great personal experience...

I enjoyed the read...

cheers

Offline takashi78

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 07:20:18 PM »
Nice story bro!
Always something special to reconnect with something from your past.
Its really hard to find a Gshock so "vintage" now haha

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »
it is the story that count...heheh

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 05:46:22 AM »
Finally figure out on how to ensure the pic doesnt look too big....here you go

Offline darkduck

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »
anyone interested in Tissot prc200 automatic chronograph??? T014.427.11.051.00

Offline darkduck

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
wow, nice......!

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »
Nice to see some g-shock fan here...
Last year, I got a g-shock frm my company's annual dinner lucky draw.
Only worn it a few times. Black steel bracelet black dial with blue accents.
Very "mospeada" like  :) We could be frm the same era... you and me Naz...  :Laughing_on_floor:
Dun really know much about the watch except it says tough solar on d dial.
And apparently g-shocks is still the rage over in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »
Nice to see some g-shock fan here...
Last year, I got a g-shock frm my company's annual dinner lucky draw.
Only worn it a few times. Black steel bracelet black dial with blue accents.

Dude....been wondering....is it this model ?

if yes, then you are one lucky chap....Quite pricey for a g-shock and hard to get ...i have one...
also have this model

black and blue is so handsome....hehehhe

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:36 AM »
Holy texxxcle tuesday!!
It's the above model... but mine doesn't say Multi Band on the dial...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
Dude..muti band is for certain country only, they have the radio signal receiver so it could correct itself and display super accurate timing...only in japan, china, usa and a few other place i guess..not in malaysia...other country have the one like yours...

the model was introduced to the market middle last year, at first price was ok...reasonable...but market react quickly....it ran out of stock for many months....i make a mistake...i hesitate at first and by the time i decided...it ran out of stock for many months...and my hunt was quite painfull...i  went to like 30 over shops around KL...when i finally found one at ridiculous price..i dont want to pay that crazy money for G-Shock.....and i almost gave up....

luckily, early this month....my wife presented this to me....on my bday.....hehehhehe

am i not a lucky husband????....i love it so much...and love her too...

u can read my post on it here
http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,2023.0.html