Author Topic: IWC Portuguese Automatic 7 Days (Limited Edition)  (Read 30300 times)

Offline peanut

IWC Portuguese Automatic 7 Days (Limited Edition)
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
Introduction

This is a review on the IWC Portuguese Automatic Edition Laureus Sport for Good Foundation watch (IW500112) which I purchased on 31 July.   This is a limited edition of IWC Portuguese Automatic 7 days and is available in 1,000 pieces.  In terms of technical features, it is basically the same as Portuguese Automatic Reference 5001 series (IW500107 and IW500109).  However, there are significant differences on the dial and caseback.  This watch combines a very strong history rooted in mariner and social cause in Laureus Foundation.  A very special timepiece indeed! 

From historical perspective, IWC Portuguese was first produced in 1939 as a result of two Portuguese businessmen, Rodrigues and Teixeira showed up at IWC Schaffhausen to commission the watchmaker to make a big stainless steel wristwatch with the accuracy of the marine chronometer.   The first IWC Portuguese was a high precision wristwatch based on hunter pocket watch movement.  This marked the beginning of Portuguese watches incorporating many great technical features and complications.  The unique common features of Portuguese watches (at that time) were large and imposing wrist watch with high level of accuracy and precision.

In 2000, IWC incorporated the new calibre 5000 movement into the Portuguese.  Among some of the key technical features were the legendary Paellaton winding system and a whopping 7 days power reserve (actually 8.5 days but an innovative mechanism to stop it when the power reserve is low to prevent loss of precision).  The current version of Portuguese Automatic retains this excellent in-house movement. 

On the other hand, the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation was founded in 2000 by Daimler and Richemont where IWC is one of the global partners.  The Laureus Sport for Good Foundation is a non-political charitable organization that believes sport can change the world and make it a better place.  The Foundation is implementing programs/initiatives to use sport as the way to get children off the streets, away from crime, drug and juvenile delinquency.  It attempts to get them back to school and achieve successful and productive lives.  It is a global organization addressing a multitude of social issues via sports in countries all over the world.

Specifications
Watch:  Portuguese Automatic Edition Laureus Sport For Good Foundation (Ref. IW500112)
Limited to 1000 pieces.

Features
Large automatic movement wristwatch with Pellaton winding mechanism, small seconds hand and seven-day power reserve display
Caseback with medallion showing the winning drawing by a 12-year-old child’s  "Team spirit" from painting competition organized by IWC.
Watch in stainless steel with blue alligator leather strap with stainless steel folding clasp

Movement
Calibre: 51011
Vibrations: 21,600/h / 3 Hz
Jewels: 42
Power reserve: 168 h (7 days)
Winding: Automatic
Displays: hours, minutes, small seconds hand with stop function, power reserve, date
Case Material: stainless steel
Crystal: sapphire, convex, anti-reflective coating on both sides
Spring: Breguet Spring
Main Dial: Laureus blue
Subdials: small seconds and power reserve silver-plated
Water-resistant: 3 bar
Diameter: 42.3mm
Height: 14mm
Weight: 105 g

The Package

The outermost box used for shipping is a normal looking box except the shipping label   :)

This special watch also comes with special package.  It comes with a unusually big white outer box with both “Laureus Sport for Good foundation” and “IWC” logo. 

It also comes with a even bigger size coffee table book from Laureus Foundation called “Let the Children Play – Sport can change the World”.  The book describes the foundation’s various programs and also introduces Laureus Sport winners (including Nelson Mandelas Majesty the King of Spain) and the Laureus World Sports Academy members (among them Edwin Moses, Mark Spitz, Boris Becker, Katarina Witt, Jack Nicklaus, Franz Beckenbauer, etc.).  It also contains some of the best black-and-white photos that I have ever come across.  I read part of the book last night and felt good that my purchase somehow contribute to a good social cause!  :thumbsup:

Open up the white outer box reveals a black inner box containing the watch.  The boxes are made of paper – environmental friendly but not as impressive as the AP or Glashutte.  I am OK with the packaging.

Open up the box shows the watch.  The metal plate beside the watch is a nice touch showing the watch model and the sequence number of the watch (XXX/1000).
The documentation is fairly standard and simple as Portuguese Automatic does not have very complicated features. 

The Dial and Case Materials

The dial is an epitome of understated elegance, fine craftmanship, clarity and simplicity.  Yet it is never boring.  Looking at the dial, one will immediately notice the beautiful Laureus blue dial.  Blue was chosen by the Foundation as the color of hope for all the disadvantage children in the world.  Blue also happens to be my favorite color!  This is one of the key reasons I bought this watch.  The hour and minute hands are silver in traditional Portuguese swallow style.  I just love the railway track style minute chapter ring.  This is another reason I fall in love with Portuguese Automatic 7 Days  :thumbsup:

The sapphire crystal is coated with antireflective material on both side and this combines with large case make it easy to read the time.  I notice, however, that the crystal are mirror-like in certain angle where you can see reflected objects on the crystal surface.

The sub-dials are silver in color and contrasted with blue hands.  This gives a distinct look from the normal Portuguese Automatic watch (where the main dial and subdials are of the same color).  One may think that it is a chronograph watch from afar.  The legibility and readability of the subdials are superb.  The attention to details and finishing are also immaculate and top class.  For example, the silver dials have circular pattern but it is hardly visible due to its fine pattern.  It only shows up in macro shots (see two pics below)! 

The case material is stainless steel.  It is constructed with two polished section sandwiching a brushed section.  With the top section (i.e. bezel) in polished stainless steel, I am afraid that it will sustain a scratch very soon!  This construction reminds me of the Seiko's Discusburger but this is a far more elegant design of a burger!

The Caseback

The standard Portuguese has a transparent sapphire back to allow one to admire the beautiful movement of the watch.  I am unable to do so for this watch as it is using a solid steel medallion engraved with the winning painting from a children’s painting organized by IWC and Laureus Foundation.  The name of the winner is a 12-year old Sri Lankan K.D. Sriyan Chamod Dishan with the painting titled “Team Spirit”. 

The engraving is not particularly deep but it is beautifully done and very legible.  It also show the serial number, watch number (xxx/1000) and the title “LAUREUS SPORT FOR GOOD FOUNDATION & IWC”.

Since my watch is new, it is still covered with a layer of plastic which I do not want to remove yet.  I am attaching a picture borrowed from internet for comparison.

From internet:

Strap and Buckle

The dark blue alligator strap matches very well with the Laureus blue dial.  I can't think of any other color that is more appropriate for this watch!  The deployment buckle is nice but I don’t find it any better than my other watches (of similar price range).  The strap fits my wrist nicely and the watch sits comfortably on my wrist.  No complaint here.  Perhaps the minor issue I have is the adjustment on the strap is not as good as, for example, my Glashutte. In addition, to release the buckle seems to be less elegant as significant force is required to pull it open.  May be I just need to get used to it.

The plastic cover has not been removed from the folding clasp yet!

Crown and Operations

The crown is signed with "IWC Probus Scafusia" which means "good, solid craftsmanship from Schaffhausen".  This character trait shows in every aspect of this watch!  :thumbsup:

The crown of the Portuguese Auto is of decent size but it is no Big Pilot’s.  I was comparing these two at the AD and Big Pilot won.  Nevertheless, the operation on the Portuguese is smooth and reassuring.  In fact, it is better than most of my other watches.  I noticed that for me to wind up from 0 power reserve to Full takes a very short time and not too many turns.  This is very impressive and a testament to its efficiency. 

Conclusions

I was looking for this piece when it was first announced but I had very low hope of getting it here in Malaysia.  The AD also couldn’t provide any positive answer on the availability.  It was totally coincidental that just when I was about to order another watch that this one showed up.  I knew then I wanted this watch!  The question was how much I was willing to pay for it.  In the end, I think I got a very good deal for this but it is almost as expensive as a Big Pilot.  I am OK with it as I can always get a BP later but this piece is not so common.  For that price, one can also get the AP RO but I already have one!  ;D   

Since my job requires me to travel quite a fair bit, I am beginning to appreciate the advantage of having a long power reserve.  I don't have a watch winder and many of my watches will stop after 2 days of inactivity.  My Blancpain has 100 hours (which is amazing itself consider it is ultra slim design), AP RO is about 72 hours.  This one has 168 hrs of power reserve!  So I can leave this at home for a week's business trip and this one is still ticking when I come back!  Note: I don't like to take this on the road because it may not be as tough against knocks while traveling (e.g. airport security clearance, etc.)

After spending some time with this piece, I can say that:

*  This is one of the most beautiful and elegant watches that I owned.  I believe it just beat Glashutte Pano by a whisker  ;D
*  I will not use this as a daily wear because this is too beautiful to be worn daily! 
*  I also think that the polished areas will be susceptible to minor hairline scratches if use for daily wear
*  It is easy to get the power reserve to the max due to very efficient winding mechanism
*  The finishing is top class and the basic operations is smooth
*  This watch can be used as a dress watch but it can also be used as casual watch
*  I feel good wearing it because it is an unique piece and I also indirectly contributed to a charity organization
*  I have always wanted a Portuguese Automatic 7-days and this is the one that delivers more than a basic Portuguese Automatic.
* The 51011 movement is accurate when fully wound.  However, it is notoriously inaacurate when the power reserve is low.  I notice the accuracy was off by more than a minute after leaving the watch idle for some time and the power reserve runs low.  So far, this watch has met all my expectations except may be the accuracy part when the PR is low. 
*  Obviously this watch has no lume.  It doesn't bother me as lume will be out of place on this piece.  However, since I was originally planning to get a sport watch with GMT and lume, this means that I have to save for another watch later.

I am hoping more watchmakers will do more collaborations with charity/non-profit organizations.  It makes me feel good wearing one knowing that I have contributed somewhat to a good cause.  For example, I think VC should work with the Red Cross! 

Rating

Recommend to Buy: Highly Recommended if you have the budget and can find it :thumbsup:
Suitability as Daily Wear: Probably Not
Special: Unique look, beautiful blue dial, caseback engraving and for a good cause!

Price/Value for Money: 6/10 vs normal Portuguese
Reliability: 9/10
Design/Look: 10/10
Case materials: 8/10
Accuracy/Precision: 8/10
Finishing: 9/10
Comfortable to Wear: 8/10
Practicality: 9/10 with large dial, big date and long power reserve

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:21:26 PM by peanut »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: IWC Portuguese Automatic Limited Edition - Initial Impression
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »
Very detailed review and I like the blue dial  :thumbsup:
Wear in good health  :Cheers:

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
congratz mate.. reallyt rare piece.... wear it in good health.... cheers
Jacky Wong

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
blue dial is special for a dress watch

Offline genec

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Nice piece bro!!!
wonder when am i getting my own 7-days!  =D

Offline mhafis79

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
so nice.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »
nice 1... btw is it this pc cost 50% more thn the ordinary Port 7 days? if u dont mind pls PM me e list n discount u got... :Cheers:

Offline peanut

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
nice 1... btw is it this pc cost 50% more thn the ordinary Port 7 days? if u dont mind pls PM me e list n discount u got... :Cheers:
PM you on this already.  The difference is not as much as stated above but the discount is also less.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:14:51 PM by peanut »

Offline Samajaya168

• ^_^
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:19:27 PM »
PM you on this already.  The difference is not as much as stated above but the discount is also less.

excelent piece  :thumbsup:

how much? where did u get i from? please PM me, thankz.  :Cheers:
AP - 15710
ROLEX - 116710
FM - GPG 9900
PANERAI - PAM 00000
CHOPARD - 168457-3005
ZENITH - 03.2430.3000/21.C738
SINN - Art-Nr. 1020.040
TISSOT - T066.427.17.047.00
OMEGA - 1513.30.00 (TRADED)
IWC -  IW500703 (TRADED)

Offline takashi78

Re: IWC Portuguese Automatic Limited Edition - Quick Review (but long)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 06:48:48 AM »
Nice pickup!
This is one IWC LE that i like very much.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 05:37:57 PM »
Hi peanut,
That's a beautiful timepiece. Congrats. And thanks for the wonderful review.

:Cheers:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »
congrats..wear it in good health mate!  :thumbsup:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »
peanut....

very sui!
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline peanut

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 11:56:36 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for liking the watch!  This one is indeed an exquisite piece.  It makes me temporarily forgetting about the pain of not getting the Grand Seiko!  ;D  :HammerHead:

Offline ckng515

• Merchants
    • WISparadise
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Finally!
It's a very nice piece of Portuguese, great review n great pic too.
Enjoy your new toy.. ;D

:Cheers:
ck
For More Updates please visit my online store at:
https://www.facebook.com/wisparadise

Offline duniajam

• Dunia Jam
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »
Great pictures.. Nice review bro  :thumbsup:

Congrats... this would be one of the beautiful watch I dream of.  :laugh:

Offline steveting

Re: IWC Portuguese Automatic 7 Days (Limited Edition)
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 07:13:09 AM »
SUI SUI SUI SUI SUI~~the blue dial is so special~~!

Offline peanut

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »
Updated mainly in the conclusion section ... very happy with this purchase - everything meets expectations except may be the accuracy when PR is low part. 

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
So tat e excuse for u to get another watches with high PR with precise accuracy (when PR is low)  ;D

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »
maybe try this:-

1) fully wind your watch, in your case, 7 days
2) sync your time.
3) take the final time different when it's almost wind down (let say 6 days and 23 hours later).

Compare the time between (2) and (3).

IWC 7 days is not really that bad. A HK mag done a test before on few long PR pcs and IWC 7 days is the most accurate (using the above method) based on the test result, it is +1 sec after 7 days.

You maybe can try this method ;)

Cheers!
scott

Offline sshark

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 02:56:31 AM »
Even better than PAM 8 days? :)

Offline peanut

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
Update: just noticed that this piece is now more accurate after wearing it for some time.  I am curious if it has a running or break in period for mechanical watches such as this?  Before this, it was consistently running faster at about 6-7 secs per day and may be worst when the power reserve was low.  Now, it is much more accurate with the variance for the last 3 days about 5 sec.    ???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:14:47 PM by peanut »

Offline sshark

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
Maybe I should re-time my BP and c if there is any improvement. Last time was like +5~7s daily

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »
Even better than PAM 8 days? :)

Yes, according to the test, IWC 5001 movement is by far the most accurate in its range ;)

I can bring the mag if you back and meet up next time ;)

Offline sshark

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »
Thanks.. will let u know in adv :)