Author Topic: Ball Watch - Need advice  (Read 18921 times)

Offline mox123

Ball Watch - Need advice
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:09:19 AM »
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum......need some advice from you guys......

Currently, I'm quite interested on the Ball watch (especially the Trainmaster Moonlight special edition). May I know how you guys think about Ball watch? Is it good as other swiss make watch?

Besides that, any idea which shop I can get the best discount for Ball watch? What is the typical discount I should expected?

Many thanks in advance for those who can enlighten me  :Praying:

Offline David_cheong

Re: Ball Watch - Need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »
Max - For Ball watch, I used to deal with watchshoppe at Bandar Sunway.

Good luck.
DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline ckng515

• Merchants
    • WISparadise
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:12:14 AM »
Hi mox123,
I helped my friend got one Ball fireman Ionosphere(leather) 2 years ago for only rm3100 with 32% discount,the current retail price is around RM7300  :o with only 25% for walk in customer.If your regular watch dealed carries Ball watch also you might be able to get one with better discount.
Good luck!
For More Updates please visit my online store at:
https://www.facebook.com/wisparadise

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:24:16 AM »
Welcom mox123  :Cheers:!

I'm not familiar with Ball watches really but I'm sure you can get pretty good deal now out there...

I know there are few ADs selling it in KL, maybe can do some shopping and check out their best discount price..

If you are around KL this Sunday, please feel free to join us for the GTG in Pavilion.

Cheers!
SC

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »
ball watch is very fine...
both case and bracelet is well finished.... it is more generous than o**s and T*g i'll say... the mix of polish, brush.... solid piece with best finish!
movement- al eta... so no commend... accurate and easy to maintain....
dial and hands... also top quality.... not perfection like GS....
lume- best in town...
with all the test done on Water Resistant, Anti Magnetic, Shock resistance.... thats why ppl said its  C/P is high... but lately it price increase alot!
presentation - normal....
2 + 1 yr warranty

worth? high C/P, high resell, very liquid indeed here in kl...... as long as u like the design then no need to think twice....

discount? walk in 20 - 25%
i can always get 30%.....

welcome......

Offline mox123

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:21:07 AM »
ball watch is very fine...
both case and bracelet is well finished.... it is more generous than o**s and T*g i'll say... the mix of polish, brush.... solid piece with best finish!
movement- al eta... so no commend... accurate and easy to maintain....
dial and hands... also top quality.... not perfection like GS....
lume- best in town...
with all the test done on Water Resistant, Anti Magnetic, Shock resistance.... thats why ppl said its  C/P is high... but lately it price increase alot!
presentation - normal....
2 + 1 yr warranty

worth? high C/P, high resell, very liquid indeed here in kl...... as long as u like the design then no need to think twice....

discount? walk in 20 - 25%
i can always get 30%.....

welcome......

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and advice.......I don't have a regular watch dealer because this is the first time I'm looking into expensive watch (well, at least to me ;)).....I visited a few shops in mid-valley last weekend and one of them actually carry ball watch.....the best discount given is around 20% for the trainmaster moonlight special......

Hey yenfoolun......may I know which shop you can get around 30% discount? Is it because you're regular customer only getting this kind of priviledge  ;)

Btw, I'm actually looking a watch with chronograph, triple date and possible moonphase, that's why the Ball moonlight special attracted me.....besides that, below is also my few options (after my last weekend shopping):

1) Frederique Constant Moonphase - not sure about the model
2) Longines Master collection Moonphase
3) Mido All Dial Moonphase
4) Epos Moonphase - not sure about the model
5) Ball trainmaster moonlight special

All the above meet my criteria (expect the FC without choronograph) and price range is around 5k ~ 6k (except Longines around 9k and ball around 11k).......so, what you guys think? If for you, which one you'll select? Any pro and con for the above brand?

Thanks.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »
welcome...

i think all the watches u listed using same movement... eta/valjoux 7751...
with date n month at 12, moon face at 6, then chrono with 30 min total at 16, 12 hour at 6, then small sec at gmt at 9.... date shown with center hand

http://www.righttime.com/nivrel/chronographs/520.001raam.jpg[/img]

so? its good to buy a eta movement to start off your watch collection....
at least all watch maker will know how to repair and where to get parts....
ant eta movement is accurate and reliable....

since so many watch brand using same movement... its all down to your preference on brand, design, budget...

if u need to know where to get ball at bargain... pls go to shop with the dai go here.... normally only regular they offer more than 25% discount!
pm me if u really decided or need help!

Offline Leftear

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
taken from another forum, hope it helps !

REVIEW OF THE BALL WATCH TRAINMASTER MOONLIGHT SPECIAL
By: John B. Holbrook, II
Copyright 2008 - all rights reserved

It's been interesting to me to watch how Ball Watch has developed their brand identity in the last few years, building upon a history closely tied to the railway industry, and creating models which appeal to a broader audience. It's a fine line to walk - you risk alienating your base, while at the same time you risk failing to build broader appeal. Clearly Ball Watch has in recent years begun to try to appeal to fans of more complex and horologically complicated time pieces, and the Trainmaster Moonlight Special is the latest attempt for this revamped brand to establish their horological credentials.

The Moonlight Special is available in both white and black dials, and I was provided with the black dial version for review. The first thing you notice about the Moonlight Special dial is that there's a lot going on, so let's run down the different displays and functions of this time piece.
Beyond the standard hour and minute hand, the watch has chronograph functionality, with second, minute, and hour accumulation capability up to twelve hours. The watch also has "triple calendar displays, showing not only the day of the month, but the day of the week, and the day of the year. The dial also features a lovely moon phase display at in the six o'clock position. The dial is protected by an antireflective sapphire crystal. Surprisingly, the numerous complications do not detract from legibility, thanks to intelligent dial design and layout. The contrasting white on black sub-dials, as well as white hands and hour markers against the black dial really help legibility. Of course, when the lights are out, Ball Watch's trademark micro tube technology makes for superior low-light visibility - the dial employs 15 micro gas tubes.

The multi-functional Moonlight Special is powered by an ETA 7751 - a close cousin of the venerable ETA/Valjoux 7750. The specifications of this unmodified movement are fairly pedestrian - the ETA 7751 is a self-winding mechanical movement with 28 jewels, a beat speed of 28,800 BPH (beats per hour) and a power reserve of approximately 42 hours. What's certainly uncommon about the ETA 7751 is the level of decoration which has been applied, which shows Ball Watch's appreciation for horological excellence. Beneath the sapphire crystal which has been set into the back of the 43mm diameter case (50m WR) you can see that the normally utilitarian and austere ETA 7751 has been transformed into a veritable work of art. Perlage has been applied not only to the rotor of the ETA 7751, but also throughout the bridgework of the movement. Heat blued screws are also used throughout, all of which is complimented by the yellow gold engraving work on the rotor. The end product is truly breathtaking, giving the Moonlight Special the kind of panache of a much more costly time piece.

The quality and craftsmanship evident in the Moonlight Special does not end with the dial or the movement - a case matching stainless steel bracelet with brush finished applied, and a hidden, dress style clasp is used on the Moonlight Special. Solid end links and solid center link construction is used, as well as high-quality screws in the adjustable links. The bi-fold clasp opens to a solid, polished deployant. With the clasp closed, you see the "RR" for Official Railroad Standard logo displayed, which is a nice touch. It's an excellent bracelet overall, though I'll deduct a half-point for styling which perhaps too closely resembles a Rolex Oyster bracelet. I'd like to see a more distinctive bracelet style here, but that's of course my personal preference. From a quality construction standpoint, the bracelet on the Moonlight Special is as good as they come, and once again exceeds quality standards found on watches with a much higher price tag.

The retail price of the Ball Watch Trainmaster Moonlight Special is $4399.00, placing it at the upper end of the Ball Watch catalog, but well below comparable offerings from Swatch or Richmont brands, particularly for a watch limited to only 999 pieces. One cannot help but be impressed, if not astounded that Ball can put a watch out of this caliber at such a price point, which only reinforces their reputation as a brand which is tremendous value to their loyal fan base. Even if this particular watch is not your cup o' tea, it should impress you enough to take a look at the Ball Watch catalog (www.ballwatch.com) because Ball really does put out a fantastic product, and has something for everyone in their ever growing catalog.

Rolex Reference Page
www.rolexreferencepage.com
Seamaster Reference Page
www.seamasterreferencepage.com
Contributing Writer & Photographer, InSync MAGAZINE
NAWCC#0162437

Offline mox123

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
welcome...

i think all the watches u listed using same movement... eta/valjoux 7751...
with date n month at 12, moon face at 6, then chrono with 30 min total at 16, 12 hour at 6, then small sec at gmt at 9.... date shown with center hand

so? its good to buy a eta movement to start off your watch collection....
at least all watch maker will know how to repair and where to get parts....
ant eta movement is accurate and reliable....

since so many watch brand using same movement... its all down to your preference on brand, design, budget...

if u need to know where to get ball at bargain... pls go to shop with the dai go here.... normally only regular they offer more than 25% discount!
pm me if u really decided or need help!

Hi yenfoolun,

Thanks a lot for your photo........yeah, I think most of them are using the same movement.......And now it's a difficult part for me to decide and since they're using the same movement, shouldn't I just get the cheaper Epos or Mido instead of Ball or Longine? I have no problem to pay for Ball or Longines since my budget is around 10k but should I just go for cheaper watch and save some money? How does it justify if I go for more expensive brand?

Fyi, I like all the look and design of my shortlisted brand...........so, there's not so much concern on the look and design......

I'll PM you once I have decided and ready for this big step  ;D anywhere, you're very helpful and I appreciate it very much :-)

Offline mox123

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »

Thanks Leftear for posting the above review :-)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »

Hi yenfoolun,

Thanks a lot for your photo........yeah, I think most of them are using the same movement.......And now it's a difficult part for me to decide and since they're using the same movement, shouldn't I just get the cheaper Epos or Mido instead of Ball or Longine? I have no problem to pay for Ball or Longines since my budget is around 10k but should I just go for cheaper watch and save some money? How does it justify if I go for more expensive brand?

Fyi, I like all the look and design of my shortlisted brand...........so, there's not so much concern on the look and design......

I'll PM you once I have decided and ready for this big step  ;D anywhere, you're very helpful and I appreciate it very much :-)

welcome. if all design is ok to you... then next is function....
some is sporty some is dressy...
u cant buy a dressy watch to go out door... especially in malaysia....
u wont wear a big sport watch to dinner vice versa....

longines also can go for 30% discount... dont worry...

m*d* heard qc bit bad lately... alot of complaints in watchbus

so pls take some times to study, go n try it... before u decide.... most of us here experienced buy because of first sight... impulsive... then regret
...seldom wear.... then sell at loss... so take your time....
and this watch is not the end..... just a begining! :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Cocobean

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
All the above moonphases posted by Leftear, my vote goes to white dial leather strap Longines  :thumbsup:

And its prices are more 'user friendly' too

Offline mox123

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 07:59:07 AM »
Hi Guys,

Saw one Chronoswiss Lunar Complete Calendar for sales (NIB), around RM7k. But without choronograph lah...

What do you guys think? Any comment is welcome.......

Offline Leftear

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
All the above moonphases posted by Leftear, my vote goes to white dial leather strap Longines  :thumbsup:

And its prices are more 'user friendly' too

my 1 & only moonphase collection:-   

borrowed pic

by the way cocobean, those moonphases were posted by yenfoolun  :Cheers:

Offline sshark

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 03:21:21 PM »
These r left out :) My advice is not get those with moon phase. You will find recalibrating the time, date, day and month is already a handful.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:58:43 PM by sshark »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 06:42:30 AM »
my friend just bought 1 this omega... used 1 at rm3.5k... good price but it is very small....
chronoswiss look good but it is small.....
breitling white dial with so many hands and marker is difficult to read....
longines look the best to me.... if u work in office.... no problem with weather.... pls go for it!

Offline mox123

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 07:40:52 AM »
The chronoswiss is 38mm only but it's ok for me (since it doesn't have chornograph and with clean dial).........too bad it was sold just within one day  :-[

How about the Frederique Constant? Anyone has any experience/comment on this brand?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »
I have a Frederique Constant - Clear vision, 42mm, clean white dial.

Good finishing, accuracy to +4 sec/day. A good buy actually. comfortable for those with big wrist.
My brother saw the FC, love it and give it to him for his wearing pleasure. In return, he give his IWC Mark XV (boy size - white dial, but need servicing) also for my wearing pleasure.
What a good deal . LOL

DC
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:25:02 AM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:22 AM »
Congrate Dave! That's a real good deal ;)

Offline Leftear

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:52 AM »

Thanks Leftear for posting the above review :-)

You're most welcome !
Do hope you find the right time piece  :Cheers: