Author Topic: Arguments for and against Rolex  (Read 104129 times)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
Re: Arguments for and against Rolex
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »
Hmmm ... booze, cigar, chicks. :o  No wonder my wife never said a word about my watch collecting habit. :angel:
+ 1........... ;D but now she start to making some noise since i intend to move further to holy trinity collection...

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »
Dennis, what is the trinity again?
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
My the other half is happy that I spent my extra dough on watches.....not on fags, chick, song and booze.. :Dancing_banana:

Really, cross my heart, none of the above.  :thumbsup:

dc

Ya, money spent well on something we can hold and touch. Instead of burning away  :HammerHead:

Offline Manburg

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »

Ya, money spent well on something we can hold and touch. Instead of burning away  :HammerHead:

I'd be banging my heads if I'm spending my money on chicks that I can't hold and touch ...
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline Horous

• Freshie
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »
I wonder how many % of Malaysian actually spend on a Watch which cost more than RM2k? I would say less than 10% as 50% of the population earn less than RM4k a month!!

Whats your say?

Offline Manburg

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
I wonder how many % of Malaysian actually spend on a Watch which cost more than RM2k? I would say less than 10% as 50% of the population earn less than RM4k a month!!

Whats your say?

First of all, where did you get the stats that half of the population earns less than RM4K per month?

Secondly, even if that's indeed true, what makes you think that those who earn less than RM4K wouldn't buy a watch that's priced at more than RM2K?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
Dennis, what is the trinity again?

AP, PP, VC?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »
Is that a general WIS's trinity or his personal trinity? ???
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »
General I guess.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:06 PM »
Sheet

I am earning less than 4k and I am buying watches more than 2k. Wonder which category do I fall in?

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline bigkahuna

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
Hmmm...DC, that would put you in the same category as those who doesn't need to earn anything and can still buy 2k or more watch. I think in Cantonese they call them "yee sai cho"  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:19:59 PM by bigkahuna »
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 09:54:43 PM »
"yee sai cho" means no need to work yet got $$ to spend. But I need to work hard ...woh

Not actually a proper words to say the least.
Put it this way, it may sound better....we earned and deserved the best after experienced turbulance times  :thumbsup:

How to say that in cantonese?..

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline bigkahuna

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »
Please excuse my limited vocab in Cantonese. I’ve been called a “heung chiew” on numerous occasion by my friends from Hong Kong therefore I won’t know what it’s called in Cantonese…perhaps a hardworking white-collared worker?  :D

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
'heung chiew' means banana in cantonese....
Jacky Wong

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2011, 07:58:33 AM »
banana means look like chinese on the outside (yellow) but cannot speak chinese (white inside) , this is you -> :Dancing_banana:

Offline bigkahuna

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
I know what a "heung Chiew" means, just wasnt too sure what to call the person dc described himself as in Chinese so the closest one I could think of is a hardworking white-collard worker. Sorry for the confusion guys  :Confused:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
heung chiew or gung chiew in cantonese is bananas.  : :Dancing_banana:

BTW, I am not even a white collard worker in my early days....always wear blue collar shirt or uniform my days in the 'near-engine' environment at EON. Only recently in a white collard clerical 'air-cond' environment

Its ok, not an issue..........we learn as we go on in our every day life.....

:Cheers:

dc

Offline sshark

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
I believe Dennis refers AP,PP and VC (mentioned by thehobbit) as the trinity

Offline Horous

• Freshie
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2011, 01:36:49 AM »
Dont cha me newbies like this la.

Here is the chart http://voyager8.blogspot.com/2008/09/malaysian-household-monthly-income.html

In 2008, 57.8% of the families are below this group (RM4k). Bare in mind this is household which is combined income.

My reason they would not spend more than 2k is simply that all of their income need to bayar installment rumah,kereta,credit card(food). I doubt there are any left safe to say for watches above 2k :)

Just my 2 cent.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:41:05 AM by Horous »

Offline Sheng

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »
Arguing for Rolex for its stability in value. Most collectors should have at least one Rolex sports model. And if you were to wear a Daytona 116528 or 116509 should you be considered a poser? It's as expensive as a brand new AP ROO or a pre-owned PP Nautilus 5712/1A :Cheers:

http://www.oysterinfo.de/en/specials/celebs/index.php
I dont think these celebs wear Rolex because they're insecure about themselves :Jumping:

Offline Manburg

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

I dont think these celebs wear Rolex because they're insecure about themselves :Jumping:

I don't quite understand this statement. Does it mean to say that some people wear Rolex because they felt insecure about themselves?

Offline kenixck

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
I have trouble understanding people that want to own a BMW or Merc but expect to spend money for maintenance like a Proton or Perodua. I mean, it goes without saying that that's the name of the game.

human is like that, better if they cost RM30K

Offline panerai10days

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2011, 12:48:09 PM »
Rolex for me is only the medium lower grade watch. Just look at their full range of movement, the most complication could be the Daytona (cant remember the code) which i pay for only 1/3 or 1/4 price can get the same function or style with other famous swiss watch brand

Offline Sheng

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
@manburg as stated in wslee's first comment, the arguments against rolex. just commenting on that. apparently askmen.com said that.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »
Rolex for me is only the medium lower grade watch. Just look at their full range of movement, the most complication could be the Daytona (cant remember the code) which i pay for only 1/3 or 1/4 price can get the same function or style with other famous swiss watch brand

wow, Daytona = medium lower grade

gosh... Sub, GMT = Low grade

DJ = peanut grade

Airking = Dirt grade

Date = No eye see grade

Precision  = Throw at dog grade? but i dunno wor..seems a bit too light to actually hurt a dog. but a YMII or DD might be heavy enough but would that  be in the low grade category?

gosh....dilemma...dilemma....anyone can work out the categories?  ??? ??? ???

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet