Author Topic: Buying watch from Chrono24 and shipped by UPS  (Read 6051 times)

Offline leonlee995

Buying watch from Chrono24 and shipped by UPS
« on: September 10, 2021, 11:21:03 PM »
Just bought an Omega Seamaster from Chrono24 and would like to share my experiece with Chrono24.

The seller is from Japan and seems to be reputable having many good reviews, many watches sold at Chrono24, and having their own website. The shipping is from Osaka, Japan to Kuching, Sarawak

The buying process from placing order until the watching reaching my hands is as below:

August 31st
1. After I found my watch, I placed an order. Unlike most e-commerce website, you need to wait for the seller to confirm your order (this is to make sure the watch is physically available and not sold).
2. After seller confirmed my order, I can only pay using a credit card. The price I paid is around 2k USD ,around RM8k after bank conversion.

September 1st
3. Seller confirmed my payment, then shipped out my watch with UPS and sent me the tracking number not long after.
4. My watch departed from Japan at the same day

The following updates will be from UPS tracking

September 2nd
5. The package reached China for transit and arrived Malaysia at the same day.
6. UPS tracking : "Arrived at Facility - Sepang"

September 3rd
7. UPS tracking : "Departed from Facility - Sepang"
8. UPS tracking : "Arrived from Facility - Shah Alam"

September 4th
9. (6:00 AM) UPS tracking : "The package was transferred to a local agent and rescheduled for delivery."
10. (2:00 PM) UPS tracking : "A late flight has caused a delay. We will update the delivery date as soon as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled."

September 5th
11. No update from UPS

September 6th
12. (6:17 PM) UPS tracking : "We tried to deliver the package, but were unable to receive payment. A second attempt will be made the next business day / Package must be picked up within 5 business days."

At this point I'm confused because I didn't receive any calls or emails from UPS about any payment.

13. Later that night, I sent an email to UPS customer support asking about my delivery.

September 7th
14. (9:00 AM) Received an email from UPS support saying that there was a duty fee that I need to pay, and provided me with an bank account. Duty fee for importing watch into Malaysia is 5%, so the fee is about rm4xx.
15. I online transferred the amount to their provided bank account, and replied with the bank receipt to UPS customer support.
16. UPS customer support emailed back saying they received the payment, and will proceed with the shipping.

Waited whole day for the tracking status to update, and the update finally came late at night

17. (11:30 PM) UPS tracking : "The driver was not able to receive payment. A final attempt will be made the next business day. / Package must be picked up within 5 business days."

And then I'm really frustrated, paid everything and my watch is stuck at Shah Alam. Paid early in the morning and they said they will proceed with the delivery, but waited whole day for the UPS tracking system to update and when it finally updates, it says unable to receive payment? Driver? What driver? I'm in Sarawak and my watch is in Shah Alam, how am I supposed to see any driver?

18. Immediately, I email UPS back asking them why is this.

Couldn't sleep well that night because of this, worried about my watch.

September 8th
19. (8:00 AM) Received call from UPS saying I have a parcel pending to pay the import fee.
20. I told the person I've already paid and the guy asked me to send him the receipt.
21. The guy happened to be the delivery guy and after I sent him the receipt, he say he is otw delivering.
22. (8:45 AM) Received my watch

My experience with Chrono24 is okay, buying process is rather smooth.
Just that the UPS tracking system is really worrying. My watch from stucking at Shah Alam and reaching my hand just happened overnight. The parcel probably already reached Kuching yet the tracking isn't updating.

I'm posting this mainly just to share about the lousy UPS tracking system.

Overall I'm happy about my new watch and Chrono24 is trustable.
The end.

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
Re: Buying watch from Chrono24 and shipped by UPS
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 11:49:56 PM »
Just bought an Omega Seamaster from Chrono24 and would like to share my experiece with Chrono24.

The seller is from Japan and seems to be reputable having many good reviews, many watches sold at Chrono24, and having their own website. The shipping is from Osaka, Japan to Kuching, Sarawak

The buying process from placing order until the watching reaching my hands is as below:

August 31st
1. After I found my watch, I placed an order. Unlike most e-commerce website, you need to wait for the seller to confirm your order (this is to make sure the watch is physically available and not sold).
2. After seller confirmed my order, I can only pay using a credit card. The price I paid is around 2k USD ,around RM8k after bank conversion.

September 1st
3. Seller confirmed my payment, then shipped out my watch with UPS and sent me the tracking number not long after.

September 2nd

September 3rd

September 4th
9. (6:00 AM) UPS tracking : "The package was transferred to a local agent and rescheduled for delivery."
10. (2:00 PM) UPS tracking : "A late flight has caused a delay. We will update the delivery date as soon as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled."

September 5th
11. No update from UPS

September 6th
12. (6:17 PM) UPS tracking : "We tried to deliver the package, but were unable to receive payment. A second attempt will be made the next business day / Package must be picked up within 5 business days."

At this point I'm confused because I didn't receive any calls or emails from UPS about any payment.

13. Later that night, I sent an email to UPS customer support asking about my delivery.

September 7th
14. (9:00 AM) Received an email from UPS support saying that there was a duty fee that I need to pay, and provided me with an bank account. Duty fee for importing watch into Malaysia is 5%, so the fee is about rm4xx.
15. I online transferred the amount to their provided bank account, and replied with the bank receipt to UPS customer support.
16. UPS customer support emailed back saying they received the payment, and will proceed with the shipping.

Waited whole day for the tracking status to update, and the update finally came late at night

17. (11:30 PM) UPS tracking : "The driver was not able to receive payment. A final attempt will be made the next business day. / Package must be picked up within 5 business days."

And then I'm really frustrated, paid everything and my watch is stuck at Shah Alam. Paid early in the morning and they said they will proceed with the delivery, but waited whole day for the UPS tracking system to update and when it finally updates, it says unable to receive payment? Driver? What driver? I'm in Sarawak and my watch is in Shah Alam, how am I supposed to see any driver?

September 8th
19. (8:00 AM) Received call from UPS saying I have a parcel pending to pay the import fee.
20. I told the person I've already paid and the guy asked me to send him the receipt.
21. The guy happened to be the delivery guy and after I sent him the receipt, he say he is otw delivering.

Just that the UPS tracking system is really worrying. My watch from stucking at Shah Alam and reaching my hand just happened overnight. The parcel probably already reached Kuching yet the tracking isn't updating.

The end.
Thank you very much for your sharing. It really help me to understand buying process from chono24.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 06:09:02 AM »
This is an informative and detailed sharing. Thank you for the post.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline SHL

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 07:22:32 AM »

August 31st

September 1st

September 2nd

September 3rd

September 4th

September 5th
11. No update from UPS

September 6th

September 7th

September 8th

The end.
Good sharing!! Enjoy your new watch!!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »
Thx for sharing the experience. What is the name of the Japanese merchant u purchased from if don't mind asking? Seems like even UPS is not immune from service issues. Good to know it turned out ok.

Anyways, watch pics plz!!!! ;D

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
 :thumbsup:
great, now you can have sleep soundly at nite  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
I think a lot of local grey reseller also order from overseas like this..

Offline leonlee995

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
Thx for sharing the experience. What is the name of the Japanese merchant u purchased from if don't mind asking? Seems like even UPS is not immune from service issues. Good to know it turned out ok.

The seller is called Authentic Research Co., Ltd.
And here's my watch pic  ;D
It's the Bond Seamaster that showed up in the 1999 and 2002 James Bond movie.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 01:43:58 PM »
Good stuff mate, a great tool diver with a story to tell. Wear it in good health  :thumbsup:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 02:34:21 PM »

The seller is called Authentic Research Co., Ltd.
And here's my watch pic  ;D
It's the Bond Seamaster that showed up in the 1999 and 2002 James Bond movie.

very nice!!! congrats on your overseas purchase and detailed sharing too! Welcome welcome welcome to MWF! We need more awesome vibes and input like this! Cheers :thumbsup:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 07:59:05 PM »

The end.

hello there!

It sure is frustrating that a shipment can arrive KL from Japan in less than 48 hours but then it takes a week to get to Kuching. The problem is that UPS does not have a local office in Kuching and the package is transferred to some local company in KL to deliver. Don't know why the communication between them don't work so well and also takes so long to clear Customs.

Curious if none of the 3 local grey dealers here had the same watch that you had to get it from Japan?

Offline tention

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
Bought one of my watch from Georgia last year via Chrono24, opted for DHL instead as I had bad experience with UPS. 10 days for the delivery, stuck in custom for 7 days due to Covid. Everything went smooth and i was not taxed.

Offline leonlee995

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 11:56:48 AM »

The end.

hello there!

It sure is frustrating that a shipment can arrive KL from Japan in less than 48 hours but then it takes a week to get to Kuching. The problem is that UPS does not have a local office in Kuching and the package is transferred to some local company in KL to deliver. Don't know why the communication between them don't work so well and also takes so long to clear Customs.

Curious if none of the 3 local grey dealers here had the same watch that you had to get it from Japan?
Thats what i thought! Reached Malaysia the next day, and took a week to reach me.

I went to 2 of those dealer's store before and they had very little selection of omega watches available, not to mention the exact seamaster im looking for. So I didn't bother to check again. I did asked my friend from VAC but they didnt had it.

This is actually the first time I ever seen a seamaster in real life. So hard to come by in kuching while submariner is everywhere. Lol

Offline leonlee995

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
Bought one of my watch from Georgia last year via Chrono24, opted for DHL instead as I had bad experience with UPS. 10 days for the delivery, stuck in custom for 7 days due to Covid. Everything went smooth and i was not taxed.
Did u used the escrow payment with Chrono24 or did u dealt with the seller in private? I thought importing watches cost more then 500  are surely to be taxed 5%? Unless the parcel is marked as something else like as a gift

Offline tention

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 12:07:58 PM »
Did u used the escrow payment with Chrono24 or did u dealt with the seller in private? I thought importing watches cost more then 500  are surely to be taxed 5%? Unless the parcel is marked as something else like as a gift

Deal through Chrono24 but didn't use it's escrow payment, paid via Paypal instead. Can't remember if the seller mark it as gift, i didn't request for it.

Offline strinq

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 06:52:12 PM »
At least that is a nice smooth transaction from Chrono24 and the problem was entirely with UPS.
Also, sometimes ppl get lucky and customs just don't check and you can escape the 5% tax.
I have some watches taxed and some not so it really is just plain luck and depends on the customs officer or their system I guess. But whatever it is, just factor in the 5% and consider it a bonus if you don't have to pay it. :)
I post pictures of watches in nature:

https://www.instagram.com/watchesinnature/?hl=en

And do some reviews and fun videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkVxZDlFy4dvSUz5Nwz2Ocw

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 09:09:38 PM »

Thats what i thought! Reached Malaysia the next day, and took a week to reach me.

I went to 2 of those dealer's store before and they had very little selection of omega watches available, not to mention the exact seamaster im looking for. So I didn't bother to check again. I did asked my friend from VAC but they didnt had it.

This is actually the first time I ever seen a seamaster in real life. So hard to come by in kuching while submariner is everywhere. Lol

the market here people only interested to "invest" in Rolex, AP or PP..

Omega is a cheap brand.. not many people interested. Did you go see Ocean Watch at Tun Jugah? I'm not sure about Seamasters but they did still have a Dark Side Speedmaster sitting there.

What is VAC?

Offline leonlee995

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »

the market here people only interested to "invest" in Rolex, AP or PP..

Omega is a cheap brand.. not many people interested. Did you go see Ocean Watch at Tun Jugah? I'm not sure about Seamasters but they did still have a Dark Side Speedmaster sitting there.

What is VAC?

Agreed, most Kuching people only know rolex...
I totally forgot about them! The last time I went to tun jugah was many years ago, I hvnt started to get into watches  :o

VAC watch company, u can search in fb, their price is very reasonable

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »
Thank you very much OP for such detailed description of your purchase. It sounded rather like what I would expect if I ever use Chrono24. The duty is the biggest headache, alas congrats on getting a wonderful timepiece!

Offline Alex K

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
Me too thought of buying from chrono24 but worried on the authenticity and taxes, great info :)

Offline Junny

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the detailed info! As i myself too browse on Chrono24 quite often!

Offline Ar123

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »
I have experience selling a tool watch to overseas and buying watches from overseas, ship via DHL. Quite impressed with their handling as they have a very detailed system where it captures a lot of information for clearance. So long the infomation is keyed in correctly the the import process is seamless and it accept online payment for duties when needed.