Author Topic: Are there discounts at ADs?  (Read 3427 times)

Offline toastgrillecheese

Are there discounts at ADs?
« on: June 23, 2021, 11:09:26 PM »
Hello everyone,

New here and excited to know more about watches. I decided on getting a watch as a personal reward, but have since then went down a deep rabbit hole, lol.

As I research on what and when my next watch purchase will be, I would like to ask if I could actually negotiate for watches below its retail price? Are watches typically sold at its retail price, or is there a range of % off its price when actually purchasing it?

I bought my watch from the grey market (Rolex.. after realising how hard it is to get one from ADs), so I don't have any experience buying from an actual AD. My next watch would most likely not be a hyped brand/ model, or it may be one that is readily available on the shelves. In this scenario, I wonder if negotiating is a common/ acceptable practice?

I'm hoping to gain some insight so that I'll be more well-equipped in my next watch purchase experience. Another reason is also because I notice resale price for some new pieces on the grey market to be lower than its retail price. So I'm wondering if it's because it was purchased at a discount.. or it was to build up a purchase history with the AD?

Hoping to learn from more experienced members here. Apologies also if I posted this in the wrong forum. Thanks in advanced for sharing your insights!

Offline G.MAC

Re: Are there discounts at ADs?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 07:20:42 AM »
I always negotiate at the AD. The amount of discount will vary from buyer to buyer but it is always good practice to get a discount when buying. In any event, if you never try; you will never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:22:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum mate. As with most things, supply n demand plays a big role in this situation. As u would probably realise, brands that r high in demand like Rolex, Patek, AP etc.  are going to be hard to come by at the AD. Discounts, if any, will be abysmally small. They really have little to no incentive to offer discounts when there r plenty of other buyers willing to premium.

Having said that, once we step out of the stuffy hype/viral bracket, theres a lot more room to breathe. Most other brands do offer discounts, and u r well within ur rights to expect it. Depending on the brand, we might even be offered 25% off straight from the get go. I'd say just play it cool, ask questions, don't settle for something if ur not satisfied, n be prepared to just walkaway if comes to that. Happy hunting.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 08:47:03 AM »
Welcome! In addition to the above comments, it is usually also common to note that multi-brand outlets will usually offer higher discount %’s compared to a single brand boutique outlet (usually controlled , but they may offer better warranty extensions etc). Of course, the same principle applies where if it is a “hot” brand - then cant expect much discounts (if at all) even if it sits within the shelves of those multi-brand outfits. Happy hunting!

Offline Mike1660

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
Yes, it's depends what brand and what model

Offline toastgrillecheese

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 07:47:32 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated!

Offline Champ66

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 02:31:34 PM »
AD does give dis

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »
You should definitely negotiate for discounts at non Rolex ADs.  At Rolex ADs, discounts will most likely be difficult to get, given the shortage in stock for the sports models.

Offline mikench

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 08:18:02 PM »
Definitely. And the % varies from one AD to another so take your time and shop around. This applies for non-Rolex watches.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 08:21:04 PM »
Definitely. And the % varies from one AD to another so take your time and shop around. This applies for non-Rolex watches.

Datejust models still do get discounts....