Author Topic: My old Cyma need help  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Cocas

My old Cyma need help
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »
Its strap is a original  lizard leather. I wanted to change it for almost 20yrs ago but as of now still fail. The problem is the odd pin on the "Mickey mouse " shape hole point.

There are no such strap can fit it.

Any master or shifu here can help out.

Thanks.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
Re: My old Cyma need help
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
You could get the shop (or DIY) to cut off the middle section of the new strap that you buy. The old strap could be used for the measurement benchmark. It's an easy job. I used to do such jobs when I was working in a watch shop during my schooling days. But then again, the culture was on repairs and modifications then, unlike the throwaway culture of today. Most younger salespersons could only do basic battery changes mow as they don't get trained like the way we had to go through decades ago.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Cocas

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
You could get the shop (or DIY) to cut off the middle section of the new strap that you buy. The old strap could be used for the measurement benchmark. It's an easy job. I used to do such jobs when I was working in a watch shop during my schooling days. But then again, the culture was on repairs and modifications then, unlike the throwaway culture of today. Most younger salespersons could only do basic battery changes mow as they don't get trained like the way we had to go through decades ago.

What a good ideal! Thanks a lot Master D'Andy. Will get the experienced watchsmith to get done like this way :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:45:28 PM »
Finally, I managed to sit down peacefully and get down to look into my baby strap problem.

This Cyma is with me for more than 2 decades
 The original special lizard skin strap was disintegrating. I have exhausted all resources and hopes to get the original strap changed. No watchsmith is willing to do the job.

D'Andy bro advice has enlightened me. I could be its best shifu to tailored-make its strap after knowing this baby inside out for more than 20yrs.

Step 1: to get a suitable strap. The calf leather is the closest to the original one that I could get from the watch shop. Costed me RM 65.

Step 2: carefully removed the "Mickey Mouse" shape links.

Step 3: Once the pins and links were removed. The half circled chip on the original strap was checked. Trying to get some feels on how to make the same cut on the new strap. Using scissors to cut? Or get the paper cutter blade? Or finger nail clipper? Tried all these cutting tools on used leather strap, the results were totally unsatisfactory. Frustrated actually...

Step 5: Searching the right cutting tools continue while I polishing the links and buckle. Looking around my work station aimlessly... Bingo! A glance at the normal paper puncher . Ah Hur! It could be the answer. I punched a half circle on the old strap. The result is perfect!

Step 6: To confirm that "watch repair is an art, not a science"! Carefully marked the half circle lining on the new leather. Punching some holes on paper and used leather straps to familiarize the whole cutting process myself. The main problem was that the leather was thick and it needed to be pushed into the puncher and somehow it distorted the lining. What make it worse I could not see the puncher hole properly and I couldn't estimate the distance from the lining to the punching hole.

At last, despite all the obstacles, using all primitive tools. VoilĂ !

Here are my baby new leather strap!  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:55:27 AM by Cocas »

Offline Cocas

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
 :Dancing_banana:

Offline Timeless

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »
Good one, indeed an unique mickey's lugs.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »
I thought my Mickey CYMA would be alone forever.

But this Ms Tiger eyes dial CYMA just appeared at the right time and the right place....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:18:33 PM by Cocas »