Author Topic: Official 2012 Formula-1 thread  (Read 75371 times)

Offline takashi78

Official 2012 Formula-1 thread
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »
Mclaren launched its 2012 contender today.
Its F1 launch week!
Cant wait for the season to start.

I will at the race in Sepang this year. Anyone else going?

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Re: Official 2012 Formula-1 thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:47:38 AM »
I do hope this year not a one way championship.... I not fan of mclaren but i do hope they can give Red Ball a run for thier money. Same thing applies to ferrari too.

I wondered how Kimi will do this time  ??? Love the way he ate ice cream when in malaysia after race stopped due to rain  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:50:05 AM by Gigi »

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »
Caterham was the first team to officially launch its 2012 contender last week.
Of course, there were critiques on the shape of its "nose" but apparently Mc Laren has avoided a "stepped-nose" design adopted by Caterham.

Yes, agreed with gigi on the "not a one way championship" comment.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:48 AM »
Highlighted changes in 2012 F1 :

1) Williams will be using Renault engine for year 2012 - 2013.

2) At the November 2011 meeting of the Formula One Commission in Geneva, several teams were given permission to change their names, namely -
(i) Team Lotus will be known as Caterham F1 Team, reflecting team principal Tony Fernandes' purchase of Caterham Cars.
(ii) Lotus Renault GP will change its name to Lotus F1 Team, having been sponsored by Lotus Cars in 2011.
(iii) Virgin Racing will become Marussia F1 Team, following increased ownership of the team by Russian car manufacturer Marussia Motors.

3) 2007 World Drivers' Champion Kimi Räikkönen will return to the sport with the Lotus F1 Team after a two-year hiatus competing in the World Rally Championship.

Cannot wait for the curtain raiser in Down Under on 18/3/12.
Malaysian leg will be on 25/3/12.

Cheers and have a Good long weekend.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Damn...Narain Karthikeyan joined HRT.
Didnt see that coming. That team gonna be known as the "old mans" team hahaha

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »
Season starts today with the Jerez testing!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:47:50 AM »
1.   fi Kimi Räikkönen   Lotus Renault   01:19.670   75
2.   uk Paul di Resta   Force India F1   01:19.772   101
3.   de Nico Rosberg   Mercedes Grand Prix   01:20.219   56
4.   au Mark Webber   Red Bull   01:20.496   54
5.   au Daniel Ricciardo   Scuderia Toro Rosso   01:20.694   57
6.   de Michael Schumacher   Mercedes Grand Prix   01:20.794   42
7.   jp Kamui Kobayashi   Sauber   01:21.353   106
8.   uk Jenson Button   McLaren   01:21.530   62
9.   br Felipe Massa   Ferrari   01:22.815   69
10.   fi Heikki Kovalainen   Caterham   01:23.178   28
11.   ve Pastor Maldonado   Williams   01:23.371   25
12.   es Pedro de la Rosa   HRT F1 Team   01:23.676   44

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
Remember the Toyota F1 team. What happend after they stop F1 operation?

http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
First crash of the year goes to Jules Bianci

Legendary last name is back at a Williams

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »
Remember the Toyota F1 team. What happend after they stop F1 operation?

http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/

Ya, no Toyota in sight of F1 Racing.
But they took part in other races like rally and the endurance race which, IMO, is tougher than the F1 race but less glamorous. Toyota is making history by becoming the first manufacturer to build a motorsport team entirely around a hybrid powertrain to take part in the FIA World Endurance Championship which features eight races on four continents, including the legendary Le Mans 24 Hours.
Imagine a F1 car running for 24 hours. That is certainly extreme and tough.

Offline infinityws

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
Go kimi ! he's fast ! i hope he can maintain it

I really hope to visit Sepang again for F1. Have to look for 'lubang' for ticket

Offline takashi78

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »
Petrov replaces Trulli at Caterham
17 February 2012

Vitaly Petrov has secured a drive with Caterham for the upcoming F1 season, joining Heikki Kovalainen as Jarno Trulli is ousted from the sport. Along with Rubens Barrichello, this leaves two ex race winners on the sidelines in 2012.

At the end of 2011, Petrov was left out of a drive as Renault (now Lotus) replaced both he and Bruno Senna. Recently, the Russian had been waiting on a slow sponsor before making any announcements, although replacing Trulli had become likely.

“This is a very exciting day for me,” he comments. “I would like to thank Tony, Kamarudin Meranun and SM Nasarudin for giving me the chance to join a team that made its F1 debut at the same time as me and has grown from one of the new teams to a serious force for future honours.

"The passion and spirit that Tony (Fernandes, Team Principal and CEO) and the whole team have to keep moving forwards is infectious and I am honoured to be able to join them and play my part in helping the team mount a serious challenge to the teams ahead in 2012 and for many seasons to come.

“I have been training hard all winter and am ready to get back into the cockpit and go to work. From what I have seen already, our new car is another good step forward from 2011 and now I cannot wait to see how it feels when we get to Barcelona. I would also like to take this chance to thank all my fans and partners for their support and their patience.”

Team Principal and CEO Tony Fernandes explains the decision:

Jarno Trulli had competed in Formula 1 since 1997
Jarno Trulli had competed in Formula 1 since 1997

"We have reached agreement with Jarno to bring an end to our partnership with him, but he will always be part of our family. Now we want to integrate Vitaly as quickly as possible into the team and we will do everything we can to welcome him in, give him a car he can use to showcase his skills and keep up the rate of development that has seen us go from an empty factory with just four employees to a fully established Formula 1 team in just over two years."

Petrov scored a maiden F1 podium finish for Renault at last year’s Australian Grand Prix. Had he not secured a race deal, the Vyborg man was also in talks with Pirelli with regards to becoming the company's tyre tester. The Caterham line-up change is the team’s first since entering the sport, excluding the brief replacement of Trulli as Karun Chandhok raced in Germany last year.

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:41 AM »
I think this could be one of the most exciting pre-season.

The main attraction of the new car design focus mainly on the nose and the position of the exhaust and what do the team make out of it. ???

We are still waiting for HRT and Marusia to launch their car. But from 2011 design I think perhaps HRT dont have to come up with stepped nose design. Like McLaren, their design philosophy of the car for 2011 such that it have quite low front nose and overall chassis. Unless they totally revoked the strategy.Either way, doubt they could make any great headline.

Really cant wait for season to start.

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »
IMHO - Mclaren have the sexiest design of all , whilst Lotus F1 have the nicest color scheme, next to it is Caterham

Anyway, perhaps Malaysia is among the top cash provider for F1 ???

Offline Scuderianer0

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 09:39:55 AM »
Takashi which ticket you bought ?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Exciting pre session?
Hardly. F1 rules changes every year. Nothing new.
Wait for the V6 1.6L Turbo engines. Now that is worth watching.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »
Zeo,
I bought the back straight grandstands. Gonna be there with another MWF member.
Are you going as well?

F1 is this month woot !

Offline takashi78

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
Grosjean quickest on disjointed second day

Romain Grosjean again finished on top after a dramatic day of winter testing at the Circuit de Catalunya. The Lotus driver headed the Friday timesheets from Jean-Éric Vergne and World Champion Sebastian Vettel, as the delayed session was interrupted by no less than eight separate red flag periods.

Echoing the words of Nico Rosberg from yesterday, conditions were ‘too good’ for the teams which were able to enjoy fantastic sunshine for almost all of the day. However, things looked very different early on as heavy fog delayed proceedings and meant the session would not start until half an hour later than it should have; as a result, the afternoon period was extended to half past five to cater for some of the lost time.

It was a bizarre day for stoppages, with Pastor Maldonado bringing out what was the second red flag as he stopped at Turn 6 just minutes after the session began. Six more separate pauses were to follow, excluding the customary lunch break, as Vergne, Vettel, Michael Schumacher and Nico Hülkenberg all stopped on-track. There was also a second interruption for Schumacher as the seven-time time winner went off into the gravel at Turn 5, plus a delay as marshals cleared debris from the second corner. As a result of the postponements, overall lap numbers were lower than usual.

Although Fernando Alonso set the fourth fastest time of the day, the Spaniard performed yet more straight-line aerodynamic testing past the pits. The F2012 could also be seen sliding in corners as – like Alonso yesterday – team-mate Felipe Massa watched from various points around the circuit. It was a low-key affair for Williams, with Bruno Senna taking over from Pastor Maldonado in the afternoon and the duo completing the classification.

Tyre ages and fuel loads remain as confidential as ever, but lap times closed up dramatically in the afternoon, with less than a second covering the top nine as the final hour commenced; the group in question was completed by Lewis Hamilton who, like several drivers on-track today, was enjoying his first track time of the week.

Raising several eyebrows was Lotus, as (like Toro Rosso's Vergne) Grosjean experienced his last day of running before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix. Despite the team’s suspension problem which ended last week’s test after just 20 miles of running, the Franco-Swiss delivered a string of consistent laps during his long afternoon run, setting the overall best time just over ten minutes before the final chequered flag.

Inside the top five was the Caterham of Heikki Kovalainen, who was back on-track after being taken ill with food poisoning and missing out on any running on Thursday. Marussia has not visited Barcelona after failing its final FIA crash test, whereas HRT is present at the track and pushing to debut its 2012 car at some point this weekend.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »
Yes, this month is the F1!
Too bad, got too many "projects" on my hand during weekend.  :(

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »
Who's going to the F1 this month?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
From the forum that i know of is me and CK77.

Anyone else in the forum going?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »
I don't know if it's the real deal but my wife just won 2 tickets to the F1 this month.
Maybank Visa F1 Contest konon... they called me and say that they will courier me the tickets...
If I were to go on Friday and fly back Sunday night... stay at Tune hotel will be the best I assume?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline takashi78

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
No idea on the hotel stay bro haha...
When you got the tickets tell us which section. We can meet up then.
I will go on Sat and Sunday.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
No idea on the hotel stay bro haha...
When you got the tickets tell us which section. We can meet up then.
I will go on Sat and Sunday.
Not sure if I am 100% going... winning tickets are not exactly planned... lol