Author Topic: what is on your wrist today?  (Read 2944228 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: what is on your wrist today?
« Reply #6800 on: February 05, 2013, 05:56:40 AM »
On this today. Again it has been some time since I last wore it....

It will be 50 next year.....

Offline davidtth

« Reply #6801 on: February 05, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
watch for this CNY

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6802 on: February 05, 2013, 08:08:46 AM »
JLC NS Diving Alarm T5 titanium with ceramic bezel today...

Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #6803 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
Jos,

Saw on a forum the bezel is just stuck on using glue and saw some post where it came off.
I was surprised !

Offline Zarium

• Freshie
« Reply #6804 on: February 05, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »

A bequest...

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6805 on: February 05, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
Woh... Scary
Someone pmed me mentioning it too
Care to point me to the forum?
So far my JLCs have been excellent in quality...

Jos,

Saw on a forum the bezel is just stuck on using glue and saw some post where it came off.
I was surprised !
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6806 on: February 05, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Woh... Scary
Someone pmed me mentioning it too
Care to point me to the forum?
So far my JLCs have been excellent in quality...

Jos,

I was surprised !

http://mob.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost.classic/fi-2/pi-5145578/ti-719333/s--28/

I did not have the heart to tell you when we met last year..... ;D

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6807 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:26 AM »
No worries. Every brand/ model has its lemons. I've been lucky so far besides I use a loupe to chk all my purchases so as to lessen nasty surprises. My NSDA has been great. No regrets watsover. Another forummer here had some issues with his NSDA too.. so it just boils down to ur luck sometimes.. Not unless there are several complaints on d same model.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6808 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
Joseph, it sounds like you're trying hard to reassure yourself. If it is any consolation, I am in the same boat with my Deep Sea Chrono!!! If the insert pops out during the warranty period, guess it's better to demand a new bezel altogether from JLC..... :laugh:

So far, it's rather rare to hear about JLC lemons but they do exist I am sure. Better keep these fragile primadonas in their boxes..... ;)

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #6809 on: February 05, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
Hobbit, this is absolutely pristine given its age. I like your Tudor submariner too. Look forward to seeing these gems.

On this today. Again it has been some time since I last wore it....

It will be 50 next year.....

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline sean

« Reply #6810 on: February 05, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
On this with new matching strap

Offline eltontan

« Reply #6811 on: February 05, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »

it looks not bad... nice shoe for wonderful watch..

Offline grifterfmj

« Reply #6812 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »
take this out from safe this morning. gotta put this on till chinese new year

wow that is a nice watch!  :thumbsup:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #6813 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »
No worries. Every brand/ model has its lemons. I've been lucky so far besides I use a loupe to chk all my purchases so as to lessen nasty surprises. My NSDA has been great. No regrets watsover. Another forummer here had some issues with his NSDA too.. so it just boils down to ur luck sometimes.. Not unless there are several complaints on d same model.

Ya. My ns alarm stopped moving after few days of wear. Sent it in twice to finally get it fixed. Anyway, it's all sorted out and running well ever since.

I'd a two tone Rolex sub and the gold plated link fell off twice. luckily I found it both times Otherwise must pay for it. Was surprised they superglued the link to the bracelet the first time when I brought it to RSC.

My zenith defy - sent in 6 times (3 times to Switzerland) to sort out why the watch stopped frequently. Was away for 8 months and I only wore it few times after I bought it. They first tried to service it, then change a new movement which also stopped abruptly and finally did a one to one exchange. By then I lost total confidence in the brand and never again I will buy another zenith.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6814 on: February 06, 2013, 05:23:57 AM »
On this today. She will be 40 next year... :)

Offline davidtth

« Reply #6815 on: February 06, 2013, 06:25:37 AM »
been sleeping for a month...

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6816 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »
Ya. My ns alarm stopped moving after few days of wear. Sent it in twice to finally get it fixed. Anyway, it's all sorted out and running well ever since.

I'd a two tone Rolex sub and the gold plated link fell off twice. luckily I found it both times Otherwise must pay for it. Was surprised they superglued the link to the bracelet the first time when I brought it to RSC.

My zenith defy - sent in 6 times (3 times to Switzerland) to sort out why the watch stopped frequently. Was away for 8 months and I only wore it few times after I bought it. They first tried to service it, then change a new movement which also stopped abruptly and finally did a one to one exchange. By then I lost total confidence in the brand and never again I will buy another zenith.

It saddens me to read these stories sometimes. We pay a handsome sum for these watches, money that could have gone to being part payments for a house or car or donation to an orphanage / hospital / school if we are the charitable sort. In exchange, we sometimes get a lemon of the most inedible kind. Parts glued on, watch stopping, crown or push buttons coming off....and then we timid souls are reassured by our peers that "things like these sometimes happen"...."you are just unlucky, that's a great watch/brand". Yea, maybe watch companies take us for being suckers and we truly deserve it...... :laugh: 

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6817 on: February 06, 2013, 07:13:12 AM »
With regards to the discussion on bezels falling off, does anyone in the forum REALLY KNOW instead of pure conjecture, as to how the bezels are attached to the ring by various manufactures or is glueing it on just one of the ways.
I'd really like to know and if indeed there are better ways than glueing it on and some manufactures take the shortcut way of glueing it, then I'd avoid buying anything from that manufacture in future.

If you surf  on bezel issues, you'd read that some forummers also commented that Rolex also glues the bezels on (WUS) but then again how reliable that info is, is up for speculation. There is no mention however on whether all bezels are glued on irrespective of the brand.

But as far as I'm concerned, I have never had any of my watch bezels coming off since the very first day I ever put on a wristwatch and a major portion of my watches do have bezels as I'm into sport watches generally.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #6818 on: February 06, 2013, 07:24:01 AM »
Diamonds on jewelry watches are glued on as well.

I don't see what the fuss is unless is glue on by some outside supplier than a watchmaker. I think if we were to nitpick for everything. Soon we will come to a conclusion that the perfect one are the one you just don't have enough funds to buy.  ;)

Regard
Tyler

With regards to the discussion on bezels falling off, does anyone in the forum REALLY KNOW instead of pure conjecture, as to how the bezels are attached to the ring by various manufactures or is glueing it on just one of the ways.
I'd really like to know and if indeed there are better ways than glueing it on and some manufactures take the shortcut way of glueing it, then I'd avoid buying anything from that manufacture in future.

If you surf  on bezel issues, you'd read that some forummers also commented that Rolex also glues the bezels on (WUS) but then again how reliable that info is, is up for speculation. There is no mention however on whether all bezels are glued on irrespective of the brand.

But as far as I'm concerned, I have never had any of my watch bezels coming off since the very first day I ever put on a wristwatch and a major portion of my watches do have bezels as I'm into sport watches generally.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6819 on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:02 AM »

Hi Joseph,

For non-ceramic rolex, I am pretty sure the inserts are not glued onto the body of the bezel. An original Rolex aluminum insert should snap onto the bezel and fits properly without any glue being used. I have installed / exchanged old insert on my own (my 16750 GMT :laugh:) so I can personally confirm that. Not done the same for the ceramic inserts, so I cannot say anything.

For old seiko 150M divers, definitely there was glue used though the inserts already fit rather tightly. Same for citizen divers. I tried modding my SBBN007 tuna some years back, and the original insert was super super hard to remove (tougher than rolex definitely). Not sure if there was any glue used, but the insert was definitely an extremely tight fit onto the bezel ring.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6820 on: February 06, 2013, 08:18:46 AM »
Thanks for the info from first hand experience...
 :Cheers:

Hi Joseph,
For non-ceramic rolex, I am pretty sure the inserts are not glued onto the body of the bezel. An original Rolex aluminum insert should snap onto the bezel and fits properly without any glue being used. I have installed / exchanged old insert on my own (my 16750 GMT :laugh:) so I can personally confirm that. Not done the same for the ceramic inserts, so I cannot say anything.

For old seiko 150M divers, definitely there was glue used though the inserts already fit rather tightly. Same for citizen divers. I tried modding my SBBN007 tuna some years back, and the original insert was super super hard to remove (tougher than rolex definitely). Not sure if there was any glue used, but the insert was definitely an extremely tight fit onto the bezel ring.

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #6821 on: February 06, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
Good match, Sean.

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #6822 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
I think the word glue gives a negative connotation. If perhaps we use the word adhesive, it would probably seem acceptable. There are many high performance adhesives used in the industrial world, like how Lotus use it to bond their chassis components, and also in aerospace. If anyone can enlighten as to what type of adhesive is used in watchmaking, that would surely shed some light.

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #6823 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »

For some strange reasons which I can't explain  ???....since being involved in the hobby in 2001 (many watches have come and go, especially Rollies) - only on 6 February 2013 that I officially own a 16610.

Offline STT1987

« Reply #6824 on: February 06, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
I think the word glue gives a negative connotation. If perhaps we use the word adhesive, it would probably seem acceptable. There are many high performance adhesives used in the industrial world, like how Lotus use it to bond their chassis components, and also in aerospace. If anyone can enlighten as to what type of adhesive is used in watchmaking, that would surely shed some light.
Epoxy resin glue
Damn strong stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:06:00 PM by STT1987 »
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.