Author Topic: My watch collection  (Read 163877 times)

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: My watch collection
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
My sole Speedmaster, the X-33 reference 3290.

Seems like she need some TLC as well  ;)

Offline adrian

« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
This thread is like watching tv series. Can't wait for the next episode. ;D

Can't help but think you're saving the best for last. Something that is going to blow our minds! The reason why you've stopped collecting....

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »
My sole Speedmaster, the X-33 reference 3290.

Seems like she need some TLC as well  ;)

ck 77,

Not really, just the outer AR coating is badly scratched. I could polish out the coating but I prefer to leave it that way. The Gen 2 does not come with the outer AR coating and replacement crystal also do not come with the coating. I guess Omega is learning for past experience.

Adrian,

Not really saving the best for last. :) Just 2 more watches to go and yes, they are the reason I have stopped collecting.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »
I knew you must be having a X-33, was waiting for you to post it  ;D
Any velcro goes along with this beauty?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
I knew you must be having a X-33, was waiting for you to post it  ;D
Any velcro goes along with this beauty?

I have the kevlar strap and a locally sourced and made velcro strap. I understand it was very popular. They are no longer made, sadly.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
Finally the end. My collection is complete. The final two piece in the jig-saw puzzle. I hope you guys have enjoyed this as much as I have posting them. Thank you for your time.

As you may be aware, my favourite brand is Panerai and I have always wanted to get a special/ limited edition watch to complete my Panerai collection. However, ever rising prices and limited availability has prevented me from getting one. Anyway all this ended today with this.

PAM00367.

Well I would love it if it had the 'pig' but I am happy with it this way. With the SLC.

And with the Incursore.

The other watch I was looking for was a chrono with a tri-compax design. Friends (or enablers) have tried to 'seduce' me with the PAM00072 and other Panerai with the Tri-compax dial design. I have resisted. I finally decided that the Speedmaster would be the best choice. The question was which one, the Alaska Project, the 50th Anniversary model, the new one with the meteorite dial?. So I ended up with this.

The beautiful font of the Arabic hour index markers.

The date complication at the 6 o'clock position.

The case band fluting.

The signed crown.

The brushed bezel.

The Breguet Type XX Transatlantique reference 3820.

So, I have finally come full circle and have completed my collection. Will there additions to the collection? I doubt so, unless it is one that I truly want and if it is reasonable priced. I suspect the opposite will be true. I will be selling off some pieces to streamline the collection.

Again I hope you guys have enjoyed this thread. Thank you for your time.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2011, 08:42:04 PM »
What can I say?
Marvelous collection  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing.
 :Cheers:

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »
Bravo! What an epic horological journey that you've been through. Thanks for sharing with us.
You're truly an inspiration to us all.

:Cheers:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
GENG

Offline Manburg

« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
Hobbit, three words - YOU'RE DA MAN! :Cheers:

To be honest, there're some pieces I'd really love to lay my hands on. The SAR Marathon, MKII, Flighmaster, and the list goes on ... sigh!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
Thank you for the kind words.

Anyway after looking through the thread, I realised that I missed out 2 more watches. My BR01-92 which is still with Bell&Ross Service center and my wife's Cartier Tank Francaise Large Automatic.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
Nice collections - thanks for sharing

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »
the breguet is beautiful :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

always prefer the more classic and understated dial XX than the newer incarnations

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
the breguet is beautiful :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

always prefer the more classic and understated dial XX than the newer incarnations

I was fortunate enough to be able to compare the different versions before I got the Transatlantique Type XX. I was originally tempted by the Type XXI, not having seen the Type XX. I had all three watches side by side and decided on the 3820. It was a choice between the 3800 (Aeronavale) and the 3820. I wanted the date complication. So I went with the 3820. The 3810 (Type XXI) was beautiful but it did not do it for me. It sang but not as loud as the Type XX.

My friend even suggested I wait till the end of the month so that I can see the 3803 (Type XX Limited Edition), but that is way out of my budget. To me the best watch is to have the case of the Type XX, dial from the 3820 but matte, the white hands from the 3800, the bezel and crown from the 3803. That would be just lovely. But I am happy with what I got.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »
Just curious.

What's the difference between the Aeronavale and Transatlantique other than the cosmetic and date?

Are there any main differences between the 2 calibres? Also the history behind these 2 models?

Cheers

Love the Breguet  ;D
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
Just curious.

What's the difference between the Aeronavale and Transatlantique other than the cosmetic and date?

Are there any main differences between the 2 calibres? Also the history behind these 2 models?

Cheers

Love the Breguet  ;D

The major difference between the Aeronavale and the Transatlantique is the date complication. Because of that, the movement used is basically the same, the difference is again the date complication.

Other differences includes:

Aeronavale vs Transatlantique.

Polished bezel vs brushed bezel
Gray (?) dial vs black dial
Matte dial vs polished dial
White hands vs polished hands

The Aeronavale is fitted with the Breguet 582 while the Transatlantique is fitted with the Breguet 582Q. The movement is based on the Lemania movement and is exclusive to Breguet. It started life based on the Lemania 1873 (Omega 861). Ebel had a hand in the life of the movement with some modifications. When the Type XX was introduced in the 90s, Lemania created a fly-back movement based on the Ebel movement and removed the date complication (for the Aeronavale). Breguet called the the 582 (Lemania 1378). Later when the Transatlantique was introduced, the date complication was fitted (refitted?) and it was called the 582Q (Lemania 1372). Along the way, Breguet also stepped up the decorative finishing of the chronograph levers, adding straight graining and high polished beveling.

The type XX was introduced in the 90s when Breguet was in the hands of the INVESTORS CORPORATION. It was a sad time for Breguet as it was not doing well and retailers was dumping prices on the watches. The Type XX was reintroduced to arrest this problem and to have an entry level watch into the Breguet name. Sadly this did not work out well for Breguet as the reissued Type XX had problems with the movement fitted. Breguet's service channels were clogged with malfunctioning Type XX chronographs, soiling the Breguet name at the crucial entry level. This was later rectified when Swatch took over Breguet (?).

The Type XX has a long history in the Type 20. It was introduced in the 50s. The Breguet Type 20 chronograph (it was not known as the Type XX back then) was produced in small numbers until it won the official approval of the French military services in 1950. From 1954, Breguet was commissioned by the French government to supply the Type 20 to the Air Force, the Naval Air Arm, and the CEV (Flight Testing Center?). The Breguet Type 20s used stainless steel cases and screwed case backs.

The original type 20 are high in demand and there are lots of franken type 20 and even fakes. Many were redial Mathey Tissot watches.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:19:38 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
Finally got my BR01-92 back from Bell & Ross Service. Now the collection is complete. Got this pre-loved and with lots of wabi-sabi. Have to say that the PVD can take a lot of beating.

Offline ewch

« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
Great looking BR01-92! And I have the exact same clock sitting in my studies!
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000-1BJF; Seiko Monster SRP313J1; Seiko Astron SBXA033; Rolex Explorer II 216570; Defakto Eins - White; Panerai PAM 000M; Stowa Marine Original Serial; Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium T013.420.47.202.00; IWC Fliegerchronograph 3717; Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer 2220.80.00; Tag Heuer Professional 3000 Series Quartz

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2011, 06:45:01 PM »
Erm... Mr.Hobbit... just curious coz you said that the Breguet is the last piece of your puzzle...
What puzzle and what do you mean by a complete collection?
I'm just a curious cat coz for myself... my collection will be complete once I have myself a Rolex and a high end Minute Repeater watch.
Just an obsession that I have...  :P
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »
Erm... Mr.Hobbit... just curious coz you said that the Breguet is the last piece of your puzzle...
What puzzle and what do you mean by a complete collection?
I'm just a curious cat coz for myself... my collection will be complete once I have myself a Rolex and a high end Minute Repeater watch.
Just an obsession that I have...  :P

Hanz079,

The Breguet ends the collection, basically the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle. The BR01-92 has been away in B&R for a service (2 months), so I could not take a photograph of the watch. It is not a new addition to the collection. As for my collection, I consider it 'complete' as I have the watches I want. For example, take the chronograph complication, I wanted to get the ETA 7750 and Lemania 5100 as they are the 'workhorse' in the chronograph movement. But they are not of the 3,6,9, tri-compax design, so I wanted a watch with a Tri-compax dial layout and got it in the Breguet. I was going for the Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, but was offered the Breguet (new, unused) at a very very good price, so went with the Breguet.

I wanted a big-date complication and got the Montblanc Timewalker Big Date. Added bonus the Timewalker series was design by the same guy who designed Panerai watches. Note the design cues of the Timewalker and the Panerai 1950 case.

Another example are watches that is related to the industry I love, Aviation, being a former aircraft engineer. I always considered the watches that are really linked to aviation are like the Rolex GMT Master, the Breitling Aerospace and the Omega X-33. For that matter, I consider the Aerospace and X-33 as 'must' get quartz digital display watches. And I am fortunate to have both.

Just like for Panerai, I only collect models from the historic collection, but only those with the sub-second hand. Hence the white dial PAM00003, the black dial PAM00111 and the Radiomir PAM00183. However, I do not have a painted dial historic model and also a limited edition or special edition Panerai. That was solved when I was fortunate enough (I was at the boutique when the watch arrived and the watch was not allocated nor did the boutique staff knew it was coming) to get the PAM00367 which satisfy the need for a painted dial and special/ limited edition. Yes, the Destro is still missing from the collection, but I am (sadly) not willing to pay the asking price for the watch.

And like you said, your collection would be complete once you get a Rolex (and minute repeater - solved by the Aerospace). I too think that any watch collection 'would not' be complete if it did not have a Rolex in it (as much as you like or hate the brand). Hence the Sea-Dweller and GMT Master (also fills the need for a true GMT watch and an added bonus of being a watch design in collaboration with pilots).

The story continues with the German watches (would be nice if I had one which is fully German) and the rest....

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »
Thanks for clarifying... now I really understand...  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline R1

« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »

This is long overdue for my sifu ck77.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
Nice collection and colours there R1  :thumbsup:

Offline m4a1

« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2011, 01:33:33 AM »
wow massive collection. how much money spent for all of it?

Offline R1

« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:37 AM »
I had an impromtu crash course with ck77 yesterday. Went to an AD (correct ka ck77?) and he basically dumped on me tons of informations as we molested some watches. The sales assistant was reduced to just unlocking the displays as ck77 got much more info with him! Thanks again bro! :thumbsup:

m1a1> mine took years to collect. Plus ck77 (again!) alerted me on the Hamilton sale  ;D