Author Topic: My watch collection  (Read 163879 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: My watch collection
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
I thought MilSub 5517 was also very well known for British soldiers then?

True, the Milsub 5517 is well known as it was issued to the Royal Navy in the 70s. I thought you question was on WW2?

Anyway popular military Rolex includes the reference 5513 with the Mercedes hands or sword hands. Some came with the 60 minute bezel insert while others came with the standard 15 minute bezel. Both came with the 'T' on the dial. The reference 5517 were issued with 60 minute bezel and sword hands. They (5517) were normally double referenced 5513/5517. I am trying to get a 5517 homage built but we will have to see how things go...

If you are looking at British issued military watches in general, the list gets longer with CWC, Hamilton (and Hamilton Geneve) and Precista added to the list. Opps forgot Seiko and Pulsar.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
Oops .. my bad ... during WW2 Submariner was not even born yet  :HammerHead:
How you find Orange Watch Milsub?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »
Orange Watch? I know Dan but I have not seen his products. I know he is (currently) facing some heath issues and hope he recovers soon. He is a nice guy. I know that you can get a built Milsub from Bill of MKII (not into the HRV), but I want to assemble one myself. Will have to see how things go.

I even thought of getting a beater 14060 and have the hands and bezel insert changed out. That is another path and an interesting one as if the watch needs a service, it is not difficult to have the parts swapped over.

Anyway I am trying to learn more and trying to understand the difference between reference 5513 and 14060 and 14060M (all the 2 line version, pre-COSC). I have a line into all three and am still out on which one to get (if I get it at all). If I do get the 5513, the 5517 project may be on the back burner. Same may apply if I get the early batch 14060 (with the T<25 dial).

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:55 AM »
My Cyma Cymaflex watch from the 60s. It is in need of some TLC. I will be sending it in for a service and what ever else my friendly neighbourhood watch guy can do to it.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »
Adding some colour to the thread. Who says Casio G-Shock have to be black. The jelly boys, from left to right; GL-240-2JF, GL-230-4F and GL-200-4ADR.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
My GW-9200-1 Riseman, this version with the dragon on the case back.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
Anymore?
Omega military? x-33?  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
Anymore?
Omega military? x-33?  ;D

We are about 20% through. More to come. Omega military? I wish. I almost got one, but the seller was double dealing and sold to someone else at higher price. Sigh.....

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
OMG... only 20% through your collection?
Damn... I'm not worthy.... *bow* :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2011, 06:58:52 AM »
OMG... only 20% through your collection?
Damn... I'm not worthy.... *bow* :Cheers:

Hahaha lots of Casio G-Shocks. Collection is just ok only.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:14 AM »
Onwards with more Casio G-Shock. My DW-6900 series. From left to right:

DW-6900E-1ER (Rough Rowdy), DW-6900FL-4MDR (Metallic G), DW-6900A-2JF (Vice Eye), DW-6900-1V (aka the MI-2 watch), DW-6900B-9 (Fox Fire) and the rare DW-069YD-02VJF (US Dragon).

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »
Mini G... GMN51-4B (pink) and GMN550-2BJR (blue).

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
My attempts to be Dick Tracy. The sWaP phone watch. And yes, it works via bluetooth or wired earphones. It is has a touch screen and a pen (telescopic) is provided which sits in the strap.

Charging.

It's alive.....

Sadly the sim card no longer works. Need to adjust the time and date.  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
Very lucky to get this one as the dealer was going out of business and sold it at cost. The Limited Edition Glycine Incursore Black Jack Automatic Small Second. I do like the red small second and the number 21.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »
I like that Glycine very much!
Is the case pvd?
Any pics of the back?

Offline adrian

« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
Not sure if this was asked earlier but how long did it take you to reach where you are now with your collection? How many years ago? And pushing my luck here, how did it start? Was there a watch that started it all?  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »
Not sure if this was asked earlier but how long did it take you to reach where you are now with your collection? How many years ago? And pushing my luck here, how did it start? Was there a watch that started it all?  ;D

I have been 'collecting' for about 20 + years, but only going a bit serious in the past 3 to 4 years after I 'retired' (still young at 43). It was a slow process, buying a watch a year, sometimes 2. So it is an on-going process. At the same time learning about watches, what makes them tick, meeting people within the industry and outside the industry. At the moment, I am at the end of my watch collecting life-cycle, having too many pieces and only two wrist to use them. Also I have most of what I want, and the brands that I want. Some of the watches that I have were bought on a fancy and some are really old, having bought them a long time ago and never selling them off.

My Casio and military collection is pretty new, but I have stop as I realised I have way too many Casio G-Shocks. As for the military timepieces, you really need to know what you want and what is out there as it is a minefield. So I have what I think represent military watches from the British and the American. Perhaps I will keep them, perhaps I will sell them. I have sold of a few of my British military watches. So at present I am photographing them. I am still streamlining the watches and will continue to do so until I have the (what I believe) correct number of watches.

Anyway, I started from school, destroying a number of watches along the way, trying to figure how they work and so on. The watch that really started it all? Casio G-Shock? Citizen Ana-digi? Don't really know.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2011, 06:11:42 AM »
Its a long way down the road. A true collector indeed. I believe you are now a recovered watchaholic...retiring from watch collecting.

But I also believe old flame will once in a while ignite the interest to collect the grail for old time sake.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »
dc,

I guess I may not truly stop collecting as new models come out. However, with every passing year, the goal seems to shift further and further away. Prices are going up at an unbelievable rate. True that there is always the pre-love market, but there the prices are scary. Perhaps it is time to look at those under the radar brands.

Takashi78,

As requested, the photographs of the case back. Yes the watch case is PVD Black. But what I like is the attention to detail I sometime find lacking in better known brands. Just look at the notches when you would place the case back opener. It is not PVD. Why? Well imagine if it was and it got scratched (and it will) when you send it for service. Lots of case back replacement.

The case back and the movement. I like the Jack and Ace on the rotor.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »
My MKII Stingray 50 MOD 2C. I do like this watch.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
My MKII Stingray 50 MOD 2C. I do like this watch.

Hobbit - Thats a nice one. I know this pc is selling in Sg. But I could not really to bring myself purchasing it.

Hopefully, the local guy @ Mont Kiara will bring it in someday - so that (we/I) can actually inspect it before pulling the trigger.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
dc,

The Stingray is no longer available. As I understand it, all available stock has been sold. The rumour is that the Stingray will be replaced by the Tornek Rayville, but not the TR1000. That will will remain a limited production model. We will have to wait and see. I have to say that I am impressed by the quality of the watch.

As much as I want to stop, it is hard like when you are presented with the opportunity to purchase these watches..... (they are in that good a condition).

Speedmaster 125

Flightmaster c.911

Sigh!!!!! Sadly I am passing up on these.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
My Oris BC3 before Oris went High Mech with the red rotor.

Reasons I like this watch is the fact that it has day and date complication and the dial. Matte with gloss highlight on the minute track and the center 'circle'.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
Wanted a Bell & Ross but those days..... well....

Next best option? Invicta Corduba 3965.  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »
Anyway my Bell & Ross. BR 03-92 Steel Military Type. This model has been discontinued. Would have loved to take the pair (I have a BR 01-92) but can't because Bell & Ross Service center has to clear up the mess with my watch. They scratched the dial during service and waiting what they want to do. They are contending they did not scratch the dial. No worries as I have photographs of the watch before I sent it in.