Author Topic: SOP for selling in Carousell or strangers.  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Dee

SOP for selling in Carousell or strangers.
« on: February 14, 2021, 11:53:24 AM »
Hi all sifu and otai sekalian. I posted my watch 2017 rolex explorer 214270 on Carousell yesterday since I’m new here I couldn’t post to sell here yet.

However, to my surprise. I’ve already have like 6-7 very keen enquiries and offers.

This is my first time selling. I know i could just go to a dealer. But as we all know the price quoted definitely be lower although it comes with assurance that I wont be conned.

When selling to strangers how do you all decide:-

1) where to meet
2) what to allow and not allowed during inspection
3) payment mode
4) etc? What else should i pay attention to?

Kindly advise. Thank you so much otai otai sekalian.

Offline bulletnos

Re: SOP for selling in Carousell or strangers.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 02:05:07 PM »
Hi Dee,

I can't guarantee that any method is fool-proof, but here are some of my personal thoughts:

1 - usually in a public place, but not out in the open (in case they run off!) - eg. Starbucks, at a not so busy corner, etc.

2 - let them hold briefly, inspect. if possible, take their other watch as collateral (if its worth as much haha). I usually dont let them try to wipe the watch, or wear it on and walk around. Just seated, calm inspection.

3 - Cash if below RM5k I guess is OK. But anything above, online transfer. Standby a laptop. Make sure you determine with the buyer in advance how he/she intends to pay you. If online, remind them to unblock their limits - sufficient to enable the full transfer. Never accept partial transfers and promises to do a subsequent one after they take the watch! If before they take the watch - then OK!

4 - Be observant of your surroundings. If the person is a crook, chances are he may have an accomplice nearby. If watch goes "missing" suddenly, the accomplice could have taken off with it without you knowing. Before purchase, get to know the buyer a little more too.

Oh, and if your gut-feel tells you something's amiss, then it highly likely is. Personally, I would rather wait for a more secure deal. But again, just my opinion.

Just my 2 cents, all the best in your sale! Cheers
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:09:31 PM by bulletnos »

Offline dspayre616

• dspayrelovewatch
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »
Hi all sifu and otai sekalian. I posted my watch 2017 rolex explorer 214270 on Carousell yesterday since I’m new here I couldn’t post to sell here yet.

However, to my surprise. I’ve already have like 6-7 very keen enquiries and offers.

This is my first time selling. I know i could just go to a dealer. But as we all know the price quoted definitely be lower although it comes with assurance that I wont be conned.

When selling to strangers how do you all decide:-

1) where to meet
2) what to allow and not allowed during inspection
3) payment mode
4) etc? What else should i pay attention to?

Kindly advise. Thank you so much otai otai sekalian.

adding my personal opinion

1) where to meet : - If you are staying at a condo, try to meetup at the clubhouse as it will force the potential buyer to register at the guard house. Never meetup at the place of residence as you are exposing yourself

2) what allowed during cod - the buyer should be allowed to touch, inspect but not allowed to take pic or pose with it

3) payment - initial deposit before meetup and during meetup, perform online transfer on the spot (after inspection). Never follow the buyer to go to the nearest ATM or bank to withdraw.

4) others - some sellers would ask for photo of IC or business card before agreeing for meetup. Some would also carry a microfiber cloth as a precaution from accidental drop or just to wipe off smudges.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 06:56:22 AM »
Expanding on this conversation, I reckon it would be good if there was a sticky post on SOP for watch sales, both for seller and buyer. It would be very helpful for to have input from experienced members on wat to prepare and consider, with an emphasis on the MY setting.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 08:17:46 PM »
to be really honest, unless you know what you're doing, you shouldn't be selling such an expensive item yourself.

What happens if the buyer behaves very legit to buy the item from you, transfer cash etc and the transaction works out perfectly but one week later, the buyer calls you up and says he had the watch inspected and found to be a fake and now he wants his money back and will return your watch. Then you find that the watch has been swapped with a supergrade replica or the movement inside has been swapped with a replica movement?

What is your recourse? He will claim that a police report has been made and probably show it to you as well.

Think it over carefully.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 09:08:44 AM »
to be really honest, unless you know what you're doing, you shouldn't be selling such an expensive item yourself.

What happens if the buyer behaves very legit to buy the item from you, transfer cash etc and the transaction works out perfectly but one week later, the buyer calls you up and says he had the watch inspected and found to be a fake and now he wants his money back and will return your watch. Then you find that the watch has been swapped with a supergrade replica or the movement inside has been swapped with a replica movement?

What is your recourse? He will claim that a police report has been made and probably show it to you as well.

Think it over carefully.

This is very disturbing, and a valid point. I must admit, I keep looking at pre transactional shenanigans and kind of over look this potential for post transactional shenanigans.  How do we then ensure our protection as sellers if this is the case, aside from the path of selling to secondary dealers?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 10:31:01 AM »
I think what you can do is take photo of the serial number and movement prior to selling as well. Include the photos in a whatsapp conversation with the buyer as evidence(after he has paid as you do not want any Tom Dick or Harry to know the serial number). Do note that you need to go through the whole investigation with the police etc so it is still a hassle sorting out all these problems. I tend to only transact cheaper watches online and sell expensive pieces only to trusted grey market dealers.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 02:50:08 PM »
Fair point, it would definitely be a hassle having to go through  such an ordeal

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 10:10:33 PM »
some sellers only insist that the transaction is carried out at a grey dealer or AD who is willing to open the watch and verify it for a fee, paid for by the buyer, to guarantee authenticity and will not entertain any issues after the sale.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 04:46:28 AM »
If merely by visual or winding inspection there should be ok. I am sure all seller ain’t happy to allow their watches to be open without any monetary commitments...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 08:44:37 PM »
If merely by visual or winding inspection there should be ok. I am sure all seller ain’t happy to allow their watches to be open without any monetary commitments...

If the buyer is serious and money is ready, then there should be no issue for a verification by opening a caseback in front of both parties ie. buyer and seller, prior to handing over cash

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »
To resolve all the above issues. sell it to a trusted grey retailer with a brick & mortar shop with all the security cameras aiming at both of you. They / shops will pay you hard solid cash or by online transfer. And of course, since they have overhead, their buying in quote will be much lower than you expected. But then, you will have a peace of mind and save lots of fuss..later on.

As their proof of purchase from you, they will issue you their company purchase bill with your IC attached for their records.
All legit.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline WHEELQ

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 07:59:25 PM »
To resolve all the above issues. sell it to a trusted grey retailer with a brick & mortar shop with all the security cameras aiming at both of you. They / shops will pay you hard solid cash or by online transfer. And of course, since they have overhead, their buying in quote will be much lower than you expected. But then, you will have a peace of mind and save lots of fuss..later on.

As their proof of purchase from you, they will issue you their company purchase bill with your IC attached for their records.
All legit.

dc

Yes, i agreed with selling to shops. My last 2 or 3 watch sale were done to the shops. The price will be significantly lower, think 20 or 30% less than street price. But that's the safest way and also the fastest. Especially useful when one need the cash urgently.

Of course you will get heartache when u hear the friendly shopkeeper make a decent profits within 1 week flipping your watch. As for me , i myself may not have the huge circle of targetted buyers for my watch nor the prospective buyer trusts me. So, its almost a win win contract.

On the other hand, one can also settle in middle point to sell/buy directly without going through dealer. Seller gets more from the sale and buyer pays less than in shops. This will requires lots of patience and time. Must proceed only with prudence and background checking. Few of my sale was done such way. We stalked each other social medias and Googled their name/company. One buyer (was a stranger but we're now acquainted) actually transferred 30k to me even before meeting me. I myself trust some of the buyer's watches without dealers verification (best of non popular models that can't get in Petaling street. Definitely not Rolex). No such thing as being too careful when the transaction runs to tens of thousands for a something so small as a watch.

Offline c4all

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 02:48:06 PM »
Not sure if it is still relevant but my experience selling on carousell is that i prefer to meet-up at a neutral place to deal. My go-to place of choice is my friend's watch shop. There the buyer can inspect and try on the watch but I would not allow the buyer to take photos of the watch. My experience so far is that i took cash on delivery for the piece i sold. Hope this helps.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 08:18:50 PM »
Not sure if it is still relevant but my experience selling on carousell is that i prefer to meet-up at a neutral place to deal. My go-to place of choice is my friend's watch shop. There the buyer can inspect and try on the watch but I would not allow the buyer to take photos of the watch. My experience so far is that i took cash on delivery for the piece i sold. Hope this helps.

Are you going to count and check every note for a RM90k watch?

Offline c4all

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 05:44:14 AM »
Never had to count a sum that high before. But in short, yes. The sum paid will be counted.

Offline Alvenlee

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
Always set the meeting place at public area such as mall then choose inside a coffee shop. Find a corner which away from the main entrance. Let the buyer sit inside the corner, so when he doing inspection and try on wrist, he cannot run away easily. Last but not least, better to have online transfer compare to cash.

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
Always set the meeting place at public area such as mall then choose inside a coffee shop. Find a corner which away from the main entrance. Let the buyer sit inside the corner, so when he doing inspection and try on wrist, he cannot run away easily. Last but not least, better to have online transfer compare to cash.

Just curious, so an online instant transfer such as using the Maybank2U app or website is indeed instant and non-refundable? If that is the case, then it is a much safer way to getting paid on the spot.

Offline Alvenlee

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 01:05:30 PM »
Yes. As long the transaction is instant transfer , you can check via bank apps and it will instant reflect on the amount. But if the buyer use IBG transfer, then the amount will not display instantly. The buyer can cancel it through customer service.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 04:46:59 PM »
Yes. As long the transaction is instant transfer , you can check via bank apps and it will instant reflect on the amount. But if the buyer use IBG transfer, then the amount will not display instantly. The buyer can cancel it through customer service.

Is it possible to file a report with the bank saying the transfer was made in error and try to reverse the transaction?