Author Topic: New Kermit  (Read 8846 times)

Offline avabobatea

• Freshie
New Kermit
« on: September 01, 2020, 05:45:52 AM »
Bye bye to Hulk and hello to new Kermit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online dpkong

Re: New Kermit
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 07:31:43 AM »
The new 41mm size is more interesting. Yet to see what the other minor changes may be.

Pity they don't offer more dial colour options but then this is ROLEX and they already do that with the Yachtmaster so probably keep the dial black for steel Submariners.

Offline i.z.z

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »
The new 41mm size is more interesting. Yet to see what the other minor changes may be.

Pity they don't offer more dial colour options but then this is ROLEX and they already do that with the Yachtmaster so probably keep the dial black for steel Submariners.
I think I read that the new lugs are slimmer and the bracelet is wider than before. Some subtle changes. Pity to those on the waiting list for Hulk for those years. And grey dealers are going to increase the price on their NIB stocks of Hulk that they have.
It's a shame

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline avabobatea

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »
Can’t imagine how high Hulk in grey market now

Offline nctt1971

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 06:17:14 PM »
No wow factor... its like a combination of rolex sports collection into one. Still prefer Hulk.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 10:11:22 PM »
Could you imagine the feeling of those owners who holding the 50th anniversary allu bezel kermit, not special anymore.
I think the hulk will be back after ten years when this newly launched sub is due to update, simply because Rolex's designers are asleep and their watches always look the same. Rolex will always be Rolex, only Rolex can beat Rolex, nuffsaid.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 05:30:54 AM »
Could you imagine the feeling of those owners who holding the 50th anniversary allu bezel kermit, not special anymore.
I think the hulk will be back after ten years when this newly launched sub is due to update, simply because Rolex's designers are asleep and their watches always look the same. Rolex will always be Rolex, only Rolex can beat Rolex, nuffsaid.

As an owner of the original Kermit, nah. I still feel it is special. It is after all the true 50th anniversary model. Also i got it very cheap when no one wanted one back in 2008 so it is not going anywhere. Agree with you that we may see a comeback of the Hulk (maybe in yellow gold form).
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline samuelk

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 07:34:48 AM »
Minor improvements with the latest, cool and gorgeous piece this, the new Kermit.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »

As an owner of the original Kermit, nah. I still feel it is special. It is after all the true 50th anniversary model. Also i got it very cheap when no one wanted one back in 2008 so it is not going anywhere. Agree with you that we may see a comeback of the Hulk (maybe in yellow gold form).
New ceramic kermit 122610LV is a more refined version of the old 16610LV, newcomers will opt for the new one instead.
That being said, 2023 is the 70th anniversary of Rolex Submariner (16610LV kermit was launched at 2003 as 50th anniversary), most likely we will see a comeback of that beautiful green dial, and I do agreed it may be on precious metal.

Offline RA_2366

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 03:16:52 PM »
I think the 5 digit kermit looks the best. New ones are getting too big for my wrist

Online dpkong

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 07:54:28 PM »
To me, the original 16610LV was just nice. If you don't notice the larger hour markers, it looks just like a normal sub with a green bezel. The aluminum bezel fades over time and some like the effect that creates. Many people have been known to swap a green bezel on a normal sub to get the Kermit feel. My main beef with this model is that the clasp is thin and bracelet links are hollow so it's a lighter watch and tends to make rattling noises.

The hulk was never popular when released. Many who bought it sold it not long after. Supposedly green was a bad color to some especially when they kept losing at the tables. Some people also complained that the ceramic bezels would chip or crack and were expensive to replace.

If I had to choose between this or that, then the choice goes to hulk for the newer clasp and bracelet which gives some weight and presence to the watch.

This new kermit will take time to gain it's place. When ROLEX finally stop shipping new hulk stock and you're left only with grey dealers and the used market, then it will be considered. The new movement will definitely be attractive to some with the longer power reserve but if you're rotating more than 3 watches, then 70 hours isn't much use anyway.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »

It will sell even at that price. That is what the situation has come to.

Online dpkong

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 06:14:41 PM »

There's a lot of easy money floating out there, more so when you can't keep it in banks ...

Offline c4all

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 07:35:40 PM »

This reminds me of the era of the Milgauss 116400GV. My colleague who got it at the peak of the craze was thoroughly pissed at himself. If I recall he paid a hefty premium for it back then, one which he could not recoup even until today. That is the danger of speculating i suppose. Paying a premium is one thing but there is such a thing as too high of a premium.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
The question now is "At what point is a premium considered too high?"

Online dpkong

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 08:35:06 PM »

This would vary greatly between those who spend 100k like it was 10k, 1k, 100 or 10.

Offline RA_2366

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 04:51:36 PM »

It's gonna keep going up as long as there are people out there willing to pay the price

Offline c4all

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 05:40:00 PM »
Have seen online of people owning the new Kermit. I wonder if they paid a premium or if they bought it at retail through their previous purchase history.

Online dpkong

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 09:56:52 AM »

It's gonna keep going up as long as there are people out there willing to pay the price

That 116400GV story is worth noting because this was the same sentiment in the market at the time. There is nothing really special in the Submariner series which uses a standard 3135 movement with just a change of bezel and dial colours.

No good runs last forever, except the steel Daytona one.

Have seen online of people owning the new Kermit. I wonder if they paid a premium or if they bought it at retail through their previous purchase history.

Other countries probably got their stocks and the usual regulars probably get theirs first. Some who just want to have the latest and greatest, or those who just want to be the first in everything and have mountains of cash to spend won't blink at paying double or more.

Anyone looking at it with an investment point of view will potentially get burned but that's how the stock market works isn't it? Nobody wins all the time there either.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »

Hard to tell how they got it; grey market or at retail, but it does not change the fact that they now own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline ethan89

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Some local grey dealers already gotten the new Sub (LN and LV), so where did they come from?
I visited some of the AD locally and was being told the new models have yet reach the shore.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
100k? Has the world gone mad? I wonder who are the folks willing to fork out that amount for a Submariner with green bezel.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »

This would vary greatly between those who spend 100k like it was 10k, 1k, 100 or 10.
Come and think about it, those big whales who spend 100k like a mere 10 dollars won't buy grey, they are the first who get the new models at AD yo.  ::)

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »
Retail RM34k+...Selling at RM113k+ :HammerHead:....ridiculous...!