Author Topic: Poorly trained salespeople at EVERY watch retailer  (Read 11766 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: Poorly trained salespeople at EVERY watch retailer
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 11:21:19 AM »
I find one of the worst ones are Patek boutiques...really look down on you and scoff at you when you ask anything...

One of the best is still the Jaeger boutique...especially Pavilion. Though I haven't pulled the trigger on any JLC's yet... :P

You can't really blame the PP sales gang because most of the nice watches are are about the same price as a studio apartment or standard condo. They're too used to dealing with the high roller society or VVIP and have already learnt how to smell if you have money or not.

:Laughing_on_floor:

And you're spot on about the JLC boutique. Always a pleasant experience and it shows their training is done well.

Offline c4all

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 06:33:43 AM »
Followed a friend into a Patek boutique once and he was asking about an annual calendar model. The salesperson attending to him was welcoming and polite and we were serve drinks as well. Another person coming in asking for a 5711 or 5167 was met with a short "no stock" followed by the person walking away with a huff. The salespeople later were commenting about people only looking for these models to resell. I think this is akin to people walking into Rolex and only asking for the sports model.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »
I find one of the worst ones are Patek boutiques...really look down on you and scoff at you when you ask anything...

One of the best is still the Jaeger boutique...especially Pavilion. Though I haven't pulled the trigger on any JLC's yet... :P

You can't really blame the PP sales gang because most of the nice watches are are about the same price as a studio apartment or standard condo. They're too used to dealing with the high roller society or VVIP and have already learnt how to smell if you have money or not.

:Laughing_on_floor:

And you're spot on about the JLC boutique. Always a pleasant experience and it shows their training is done well.
Any perfume to recommend that smells like money?

But yea, it’s similar to Rolex too when you ask for sports models...but I find Hour Glass still not too bad, but SWG is terrible...and I’ve bought Rollie’s from both of them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »
I don't even have to walk into a Patek boutique to get scoffed at. Some time back, I walked into a shop in a major mall which I will not name other than they do sell Tudor. The Chrono S&G had just been launched and they had one in the window display. I asked if I could see how it looked on my wrist and the reply from the bespectacled Clark Kent looking but obviously not so mild mannered salesman was "Yes, we have stock. You want now ah? Cash or card?"

And what's with Tag Heuer Boutiques and their closed door policy lately? Part of the LVMH group policy? Does it really make a brand more exclusive by impeding one's entry? They've been closed door since before Covid.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »
Followed a friend into a Patek boutique once and he was asking about an annual calendar model. The salesperson attending to him was welcoming and polite and we were serve drinks as well. Another person coming in asking for a 5711 or 5167 was met with a short "no stock" followed by the person walking away with a huff. The salespeople later were commenting about people only looking for these models to resell. I think this is akin to people walking into Rolex and only asking for the sports model.

so the salesperson are trained to treat those with the "reseller" look differently

Offline c4all

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »

so the salesperson are trained to treat those with the "reseller" look differently

I do not think that there is a "training" which you are referring to. It is merely a common interaction of "sorry we have no stock for those" to let the inquirer know that there are none of the models that the inquirer wanted that are available in-store. If the inquirer was interested in anything else, the salespeople were ready to entertain. What i did not understand is why the huff by the inquirer. When told of the unavailability of stock, the inquirer huffed and stormed out. I would have just said thank you and moved on. The inquirer must be quite desperate for those pieces to be grouchy when told they are unavailable. Unlike the experience of one of the members here when buying his two-tone submariner, I never had a bad experience when actually making a purchase.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 08:04:47 AM »
Well, that is what happens when demand is a lot more than supply at the AD/Boutique. Like i mentioned earlier, do not be too concerned with your treatment at the AD/Boutique. What is important is the price you bought the watch at. Good service is secondary these days.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline memphisto

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »
Sometimes i would just visit AD/Boutiques with my most humble watch (Swatch!), and if the salesperson still treat me with due respect, i would actually consider buying one if they can provide decent discount. 

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 01:46:13 AM »
I've stopped visiting any Rolex ADs anymore now since there's not much to look at and tbh it has starting to look the same. The whole game puts me off the brand too. Tbh it made me look at other watchmakers and there's so much more options out there. I'm an advocate for Vacheron Constantin and if you guys ever wanted to check it out, the boutique SA are top-notch even if you're just browsing. I've never felt so welcomed. I would say the same for JLC too. Although VC watches are not for everyone since it's a lot dressier generally.

VC just sent me this gift to celebrate the Mid Autumn Festival. I think I would have to gift the Rolex AD instead just to get on their waiting list  :P

and 3 weeks ago, another surprise gift to celebrate its 265th Anniversary.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 02:47:37 PM »
wow, love that customized mooncake, indeed is a way different experience dealing with brands that you need to "beg"

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »
It is a breath of fresh air tbh. The team and sales person has been really good to me.

A box of red packet was given to me during CNY this year.

Similarly, I was given one last year by another VC boutique elsewhere when I walked in for a chat, the manager gave me a whole box as I was about to leave.  :D

Also mid this year during the lockdown. VC sent a box of suprise through the post as a gesture of kindness during these uncertain times. Would be cool if it was VC branded but I'm not complaining. So I guess if you look further afield and not just hype brands/watches, it is a world of difference.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:43:18 PM by kelv_w »

Offline shzrn

• Freshie
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2020, 12:14:56 PM »
It's not just limited to watches, any brands perceived as luxury in Malaysia, you need to dress in a 3 piece suit to be taken seriously. Look matters unfortunately, contrary to overseas where they see everyone as a potential customer.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2020, 03:13:06 PM »
Same when property sales person or credit card promoters in shopping see me, almost always they don't even give me a second look.... Maybe I always wear slippers with tshirt and shorts only... Lol

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

i prefer like that leh.... less hassle and can roam around freely... lol

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2020, 03:15:39 PM »
Fuyoh, thanks for the GTG pictures. That GMT and that 2-tone maserati dial daytona are going to be the death of me.

I think that Daytona is a white gold racing dial model ...

There were quite a few PP, AP and Tudors...I was not close enough to them to warrant a pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The idea of a GTG is to mingle with the crowd and get to know people you don't already know ... so if people just stay in their own group of friends, then the idea of a MWF GTG is lost.

Gtg sounds good. Hope I can attend one soon..

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

The last big one was a long, long time ago and since then less people got interested and now with the new normal of living with the COVID-19 pandemic, I really doubt we will have any more of those large gatherings of people we don't really know. Too many risks and a hassle to organise.

ask the superman chris to arrange....

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2020, 03:19:44 PM »
A room full of strangers, expensive watches and risk maybe one reason why people stick to groups in a GTG. Whilst you will never get to know people if you don't mix around, sometimes you are also worried to trust others. Myself included. It is a chicken and egg situation. Attended a few GTG before and realized that the aim for some attendees  isn't about the watches but their own personal agenda and benefit instead. In my case, it was a few cases of hard-selling and refusal to take a negative answer. Sure saps all the fun from the gathering when you have to be tolerant and polite in that situation.

last time is purely for passions... now wealth planner, property agent, car agent and whatever agent join the GTG with personal agenda... :Blue: no offense to the above profession but just that you shouldn't ride on the GTG...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
I've stopped visiting any Rolex ADs anymore now since there's not much to look at and tbh it has starting to look the same. The whole game puts me off the brand too. Tbh it made me look at other watchmakers and there's so much more options out there. I'm an advocate for Vacheron Constantin and if you guys ever wanted to check it out, the boutique SA are top-notch even if you're just browsing. I've never felt so welcomed. I would say the same for JLC too. Although VC watches are not for everyone since it's a lot dressier generally.

VC just sent me this gift to celebrate the Mid Autumn Festival. I think I would have to gift the Rolex AD instead just to get on their waiting list  :P

and 3 weeks ago, another surprise gift to celebrate its 265th Anniversary.

Wow... It's really a super vvip treatment.

I like :thumbsup:

Offline FourRings

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
The first thing they will ask, 'any specific models you're looking for?'
When you list down, the answer is no :Laughing_on_floor:

When you go to grey market places they will think that you cant afford pulak.
Been to this shop in midvalley cant remember the name. Took out a roman dial blue face datejust to ask whats the market price for now,
Fella look at me atas bawah, quoted me 10k below retail price and laughed. Wrong person wrong day, kena maki he apologized so many times. Damn rude.

Offline c4all

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »
Makes me wonder; if they don't like us to ask questions, then how do they expect to do business?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
I suppose the interesting (and perhaps maybe perplexing) thing is that despite that attitude, they still do have business. They can afford to behave the way they do.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2020, 09:56:23 AM »
I suppose the interesting (and perhaps maybe perplexing) thing is that despite that attitude, they still do have business. They can afford to behave the way they do.

They have regulars who get the best treatment I suppose.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
Few days ago I walked in to a Rolex boutique (SWG)...though they didnt have ANY stainless steel models, but at least the guy was quite friendly...took the usual contact details etc...and I requested for the latest Catalog and got it...  :D

Never bought from that outlet, though I did mentioned I got one before from another SWG outlet

Offline kinteru

• Freshie
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2020, 10:33:48 AM »
Always brace myself for judgement before going in a Rolex AD. Eventhough there's nothing in the shop

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
A room full of strangers, expensive watches and risk maybe one reason why people stick to groups in a GTG. Whilst you will never get to know people if you don't mix around, sometimes you are also worried to trust others. Myself included. It is a chicken and egg situation. Attended a few GTG before and realized that the aim for some attendees  isn't about the watches but their own personal agenda and benefit instead. In my case, it was a few cases of hard-selling and refusal to take a negative answer. Sure saps all the fun from the gathering when you have to be tolerant and polite in that situation.

sad to hear that... i was once approach by insurance or property agent very direct in a watch events... dnt like that feeling...

Offline DrSyazli

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
Yes, absolutely in agreement with this, the Jaeger salesperson in Pavillion is totally warm and welcoming

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2021, 12:05:03 AM »
Continuing with this thread, my VC boutique just sent a surprise gift to welcome the new year. I can't really complain  ;D