Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61004 times)

Offline IamJacky

Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2020, 05:53:34 PM »
One can forget about getting any sport model or rrp from Rolex Malaysia. Can only buy from grey....

Pretty much. At least in the foreseeable future that will remain the case.

There are about 6 ADs I know of in the KL area. In the same vicinity, I know of at least 12-15 grey dealers with physical store fronts. I've purchased from 3 of them. I'm guessing some if not most of them have some sort of relationship with these ADs.

On top of the grey dealers, there are also the VIPs and VVIPs who spend much more than most of us combined.

Then there goes the regular enthusiasts who just want a SS piece, signed up on the waiting list. So yeah, to me, there is no such thing as MSRP for the popular SS models. The chance of getting them at retail is basically zero.

Offline Potential_Highlight

« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »
I will never look at Rolex the same again.

When I see somebody is wearing a modern Rolex now, I only see a pile of cash on their wrist, no longer a time piece.

Gone are the days where I admire the design of the engineering works, the use of new material, the robust in-house movement, the brand history.

:Blue:
To some, that is the actual point, isn't it?

I mean, if it's horology that you're into, there are probably a few dozen other manufacturers to look into, before Rolex even gets a mention, isn't it?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
I will never look at Rolex the same again.

When I see somebody is wearing a modern Rolex now, I only see a pile of cash on their wrist, no longer a time piece.

Gone are the days where I admire the design of the engineering works, the use of new material, the robust in-house movement, the brand history.

:Blue:
To some, that is the actual point, isn't it?

I mean, if it's horology that you're into, there are probably a few dozen other manufacturers to look into, before Rolex even gets a mention, isn't it?

much bitterness, i sense in this post...

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
Rolex has shut their production again until next year citing Swissz c19 is surging to 4k daily...

It’s gonna be doubly hard to get any Rollies next year....

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2020, 03:32:34 PM »
Last I saw was only during middle of this year. Did not read about the company shutting down production again. 
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
Rolex has shut their production again until next year citing Swissz c19 is surging to 4k daily...

It’s gonna be doubly hard to get any Rollies next year....

Probably just the regular year end Christmas break...

There's plenty of stock in the distribution center for sure (SG, I believe it was). It doesn't come directly from Switzerland.

Offline jack88x

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »
yup..my klia rolex inform me there will be a delay

on the waiting list for the 2020 model 278384RBR

still hvnt decide..if too long might as well go for patek24

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
Undeniably, the harder these pieces are to come by (at ADs) the more obsessed will punters be in securing theirs. So long as the market remains free of regulation, these retailers (ADs & grey) will continue their games unabated. Whether we like it or not Rolex and their resellers have really got their games down pat!

Simple fact is we all know the best way around this is not buying their product...but the mind works in mysterious ways doesn't it... Ppl generally lust after what they can't have or obtain through normal means. I am of course referring to the luxury segment and not other objects of lust ;)

Perhaps the best way forward is simply paying the premium and obtaining the piece you desire and be done with it! Or just not bother at all.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2020, 02:59:41 PM »

Ultimately, it all boils down to the kind of AD friend you have and the pieces you are buying. If you're only interested in buying the steel models, then they will always classify you as a flipper/reseller and put you in that category of customers.

So if you say you're a ROLEX enthusiast but can only afford to own only one ROLEX and can only buy a steel model, would you really keep it when a grey dealer would immediately offer easily 10-20k extra to hand over the watch?

Blame the grey dealers and blame the market hype.... unless of course you've got a good AD and he keeps you happy.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2021, 07:38:25 PM »

Anyone noticed the prices of some "hot models" seem to have come down a little lately?

Is it due to after the Xmas/CNY festive season and nobody is rushing out to buy new watches?

Or demand is dropping from prolonged COVID-19 lockdowns and income related issues?

And on some groups, many buyers are posting their purchases from AD stores...

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2021, 04:06:10 AM »

Anyone noticed the prices of some "hot models" seem to have come down a little lately?

Is it due to after the Xmas/CNY festive season and nobody is rushing out to buy new watches?

Or demand is dropping from prolonged COVID-19 lockdowns and income related issues?

I observe that this happens only on the Submariner line. The Pepsi, Rootbeer, Blue Skydweller, Explorer 1 and 2, Daytona and the Oyster Perpetual are going up to silly levels. I think it has something to with the level of demand of specific models. Speaking to my friends in the AD and grey market; people are shifting their taste to other more affordable models so not all Rolex-es can be said to command a huge premium. The pattern i observe is that some new models are going down the route of the Batgirl.

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2021, 06:38:45 AM »

On TRF I see a lot of "incomings" of Submariners and 126710BLNR; meanwhile, the Daytona 116500LN white dial has exceeded US$32K in the grey market, and 126710BLRO remains $19-20K.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »

On TRF I see a lot of "incomings" of Submariners and 126710BLNR; meanwhile, the Daytona 116500LN white dial has exceeded US$32K in the grey market, and 126710BLRO remains $19-20K.

so grey dealers have lost interest in Submariners/GMT and moving over to any model of the Daytona?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »
People who want a submariner; likely already owns one. Those who aspire to own one; cannot afford one yet. Similar with the GMT. Visually; there is very little to separate the 11xxxx series and the 12xxxx for the Submariner hence I think there are not many takers for the Submariners at those premium prices. Dealers are currently dropping the prices to find the sweet spot. For the GMT, demand is still there so prices are quite stable.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2021, 07:36:51 PM »
Hold up, sub prices are going down? That is an interesting turn of events ????

Offline dpkong

« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:54 AM »
Hold up, sub prices are going down? That is an interesting turn of events ????

well, the 126610LV was more than 100k when released... some dealers are trying to push it out for 79k now

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2021, 07:28:57 AM »
If I have to wager, I would say prices at the grey market dealers for the 126610LV may stay at the high 70k range. Reason being that, at the price; the watch is moving pretty fast. The 124060 may come down a little bit more as they are still not moving as fast when priced near the 50k range.

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2021, 06:36:39 AM »
Walked into 4 Rolex AD yesterday. This is what I manage to get.
None of the sport model available since 2018.
Even stainless steel Datejust. From 26mm - 41mm . All have to place interest list and wait  "the call".
That's why the price of Rolex keep on increasing.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2021, 12:55:29 PM »
You might have to keep dropping at AD every week and keep bugging them.

After that your AD will fast fast allocate a watch to get rid of you...lolx.

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »

I think there's ppl doing that... but i don't think he/she able to get any sport model.
If lucky , might get a stainless steel datejust.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »

I think there's ppl doing that... but i don't think he/she able to get any sport model.
If lucky , might get a stainless steel datejust.

Agree. Hot models still go to preferred customers.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2021, 08:58:33 AM »
Walked into 4 Rolex AD yesterday. This is what I manage to get.
None of the sport model available since 2018.
Even stainless steel Datejust. From 26mm - 41mm . All have to place interest list and wait  "the call".
That's why the price of Rolex keep on increasing.

Walk in customers will be treated simply as that.. you walk in and walk out and into another AD. You know what you're doing. So do the salespeople. So they give you the standard answer politely.

To the salesperson, you're potentially just another person hoping to cash in on the premium market. Buy a model and flip it to a grey dealer for an immediate profit. Who doesn't as the profit is really tempting. The see customers like you everyday. Everyone and his dog now has a blog trying to sell brand new, full set ROLEX watches just bought in Feb2021...

There's no denying a lot of salespeople are giving sports watches to "friends" who sell to grey and split the profits but sooner or later, this practice will be noticed because ROLEX is now requesting IC photo, not just name, for sport models so they probably building a database for who bought what. Only time will tell.

Creating a relationship with an AD is not you walking in there and asking for a steel sport ROLEX delivery date. It's also not about buying watches you don't want from other brands. I guess maybe that's why some people get the watches they want and some people don't.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2021, 11:34:54 AM »
You need buy rm120k garbage from the AD then only they get one for you.

Few of my friends got their sub after spending this kinda money at AD lately...

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2021, 03:04:15 PM »
Just walked into 2 ADs. Displays were practically empty, not kidding :o Only had 3 pieces on public display in the entire store. Seems like grey dealers or VVIPs really snapping up any pieces they can get their hands on, just for sport models.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2021, 10:25:22 PM »
Just walked into 2 ADs. Displays were practically empty, not kidding :o Only had 3 pieces on public display in the entire store. Seems like grey dealers or VVIPs really snapping up any pieces they can get their hands on, just for sport models.

With the technology these days, customers won't need to walk into stores to buy a ROLEX. When stocks arrive, pictures are sent via Whatsapp. If you want it, just deposit a check or make an online transfer. Pick up the watch at your convenience.

What you see in display cabinets are what's not reserved or sold beforehand.