Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61488 times)

Offline khairain

• Freshie
Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2021, 10:46:46 PM »
Have any of you seen the 2021 Rolex warranty card. Basically model, serial number and date of purchase. It make easier to sell to other people without disclosing your info ????. Btw AD must be lying no sports model since 2018. I have friends bought few months ago sports model and Wimbledon...

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2021, 07:40:45 AM »
Have any of you seen the 2021 Rolex warranty card. Basically model, serial number and date of purchase. It make easier to sell to other people without disclosing your info ????. Btw AD must be lying no sports model since 2018. I have friends bought few months ago sports model and Wimbledon...

Like you I've walked into many ADs here, and they all say there's no stock.

I bought a popular professional model via grey, and guess what, I walked into many ADs in November 2020 to inquire about this popular piece, they all say there's no stock and there're too much demand. I decided to bite the bullet and go grey and bought in Dec 2020, the dealer told me the AD is Malaysia (although there is no way to tell from the new style warranty card), the warranty card date is late November 2020.

It must have been sold to a preferred client, and the client flipped it right away to the grey, and then the grey sold to me. It was just merely a week from when I walked into those ADs in KL.

I do not blame the ADs or the flippers though. I have long before come to accept that I simply will never be able to get these popular SS models in the ADs.

Technically I'm still on the "waiting list" for a 116500LN for the 4th year, but I've also already bought via grey in 2017.

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2021, 07:43:56 AM »

With the technology these days, customers won't need to walk into stores to buy a ROLEX. When stocks arrive, pictures are sent via Whatsapp. If you want it, just deposit a check or make an online transfer. Pick up the watch at your convenience.

What you see in display cabinets are what's not reserved or sold beforehand.

Yeah I get what you mean, but even those "colder" datejust models that usually you can walk in and see them on display, were all gone. Stores were basically empty. Heck there wasn't even one 41mm on display  :D

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »
1 mistake I did before was to tell the AD (THG) that I've actually purchased a watch from them before - but it was a Sports Model that became popular...(back in 2017, 114060 was not so hot yet)...so since you've actually "gotten" a sports model from them already, they may not layan you anymore if you do not buy other less popular models...

Then I bought the 114300 39mm from SWG in 2019...not hot yet also at that time - so the AD actually later texted me the availability of certain sports models like HG Daytona...and the Explorer 1 214270...but didn't buy then.

Now that 114300 became 'hot' model as well - SWG don't layan anymore. So sad la this Rolex 'game'.

Glad you got your AP - Revvd. haha
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 08:02:01 AM by bulletnos »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2021, 07:51:12 PM »

Like you I've walked into many ADs here, and they all say there's no stock.

I bought a popular professional model via grey, and guess what, I walked into many ADs in November 2020 to inquire about this popular piece, they all say there's no stock and there're too much demand. I decided to bite the bullet and go grey and bought in Dec 2020, the dealer told me the AD is Malaysia (although there is no way to tell from the new style warranty card), the warranty card date is late November 2020.

It must have been sold to a preferred client, and the client flipped it right away to the grey, and then the grey sold to me. It was just merely a week from when I walked into those ADs in KL.

I do not blame the ADs or the flippers though. I have long before come to accept that I simply will never be able to get these popular SS models in the ADs.

Technically I'm still on the "waiting list" for a 116500LN for the 4th year, but I've also already bought via grey in 2017.

If you're happy with paying the premium then so be it... but I for one will not feed the grey market margins.

Either I get the one I one at RRP or discounted or I just look for an older discontinued, less popular model. Neither would I even consider the older steel sport models sold at prices higher than current model RRP.

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2021, 09:07:48 PM »

f you're happy with paying the premium then so be it... but I for one will not feed the grey market margins.

Either I get the one I one at RRP or discounted or I just look for an older discontinued, less popular model. Neither would I even consider the older steel sport models sold at prices higher than current model RRP.

Word. I originally wanted to start off my collection with a Rolex, but after researching about the stock deficit and grey dealers was really a turn off. Ended up with an AP and loving it. Might go back to Rolex, but definitely gonna try to score one on MRSP.

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2021, 06:56:44 AM »
If you're happy with paying the premium then so be it... but I for one will not feed the grey market margins.

Well I'm not literally happy to pay the premium, I just want that watch and there's just no other sure way of getting it besides going grey. I know that no matter what other replacement piece I get, my mind will always rest on the ones that I wanted, so I just bit the bullet and get it over with.

But of course, I do understand where you're coming from and some people's disdain on feeding the grey. Well, to each his own, now that I do have the pieces I wanted I do feel happier.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2021, 07:03:13 AM »

Well I'm not literally happy to pay the premium, I just want that watch and there's just no other sure way of getting it besides going grey. I know that no matter what other replacement piece I get, my mind will always rest on the ones that I wanted, so I just bit the bullet and get it over with.

But of course, I do understand where you're coming from and some people's disdain on feeding the grey. Well, to each his own, now that I do have the pieces I wanted I do feel happier.

Very smart indeed to go grey for Daytona or Hulk, because it’s never possible to get one from local AD..

There is really nothing to buy from Rolex AD except those PM datejust...

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2021, 07:22:27 AM »

At the end of the day, your happiness is all that matters. I agree with you that unless you are satisfied with the replacement piece, there is no point to spend money to scratch an itch that will get worse over time. You will end up spending more in the future to get what you want. I have learnt this lesson so like you; I have just bitten the bullet. I will just consider myself lucky if i do get the call from the AD one day.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2021, 12:50:57 PM »

At the end of the day, your happiness is all that matters. I agree with you that unless you are satisfied with the replacement piece, there is no point to spend money to scratch an itch that will get worse over time. You will end up spending more in the future to get what you want. I have learnt this lesson so like you; I have just bitten the bullet. I will just consider myself lucky if i do get the call from the AD one day.

Agreed with this...to each his own...while I did score some from AD...I had to get my Explorer II from grey...and satisfied too! In fact, there are some long-time members here who also run their own shops too...some times can score good deals also haha

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2021, 05:45:06 AM »
Rolex to AD is kinda like ‘hey , don’t get caught with this this kinda stuff, we don’t wanna know..’

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2021, 02:51:42 PM »
Rolex cannot possibly be unaware of current market conditions. An entire eco system has been created for its products to fly off the shelves and appreciate in 'value'. Of course much of it is speculative and not necessarily driven by fundamentals but the longer this goes on, the more buoyant the market becomes. We know all too well...Supply is controlled - artificial shortage created - impression of rarity - speculators going nuts and cleaning up stocks - price rises...and well the rest as they say is history.

Manufacturers and retailers cannot possibly be ignorant but are obviously content for market forces to push sales and drive up  prices of their products to unprecedented levels. Perhaps in a bid to raise the profile and standing of their pieces? Or to provide the perfect chemistry for pushing product prices ahead of inflation and costs? This is anyone's guess. But for sure, these are pretty slick guys with an innate understanding of market dynamics.

Regulation is not the answer to this situation simply because there is no socio economic justification for controlling luxury products like watches.

So long as economies and liquidity remain intact, ppl are always going to look for ways to park their cash and these products allow them just that with a certain amount of self satisfaction thrown in.

The stability of prices throughout Covid is proof that high prices and secondary market antics are here to stay.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:54:20 PM by flatcap200 »

Offline Cocas

« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2021, 04:43:17 PM »
Heading to Tulip Mania... ;D

Offline c4all

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
Speaking of prices, the prices these days are so volatile for hot models. Notwithstanding rumours of discontinuation for the Exp 2, I have seen huge increase in prices for models such as PM Daytonas and the Pepsi. I do wonder if there is something i do not know that is driving the prices of these models in the grey market.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2021, 02:52:05 PM »
On the flip side, i do see price reductions for the new submariner line.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2021, 03:00:00 PM »
Pricings for all sport models are extremely tense and getting worst day by day with many rumours...

Rolex Geneva seems to enjoy it... :Confused:

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2021, 03:05:35 PM »
Supply shortage may be an issue as well.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »
The shortage is purely artificial though - last year alone they were minting more than 2000 watches a day.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »
So many factors.

Speculations are hot now and everyone anticipate something to happen on April 7th.

Bitcoin gone up like crazy.

People moving money around and ROLEX is a hot item better than gold.

Grey dealers claim that difficulty in free travel means available stock in any given location is lower so price goes up.

Pricings for all sport models are extremely tense and getting worst day by day with many rumours...

Rolex Geneva seems to enjoy it... :Confused:

Retail price hasn't changed yet. Why feed the grey market? If you already have pieces then sit back and watch the value increase.

Meanwhile, look at brands like Zenith, OMEGA, JLC or even the new AP ROO with the Code1159 movement.

:Cheers:

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2021, 08:29:53 PM »
I'm actually also looking forward to see what's going to be announced come the 7th during Watches & Wonders, but more for the other brands rather than rolex  :D

Offline LostInReality

« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2021, 10:26:07 PM »
To me the shortage is real. IMHO There is no artificial shortage and the demand for a Rolex increases day by day. Which ordinary folk doesn’t want a retail rolex now if given a chance

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »
If u guys notice.. rolex current model price increase around 8% on every reseller in KL.
A brand new 126610LN Black Sub Date cost around rm 57000 on 23rd March 2021.
But on 24th March all store increase their price to rm 63k. Which ever store still selling below rm 60k all been wipe out. I called almost every store avaible in KL.
This apply to all current Rolex model. Discontinue model didn't  increase that much.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2021, 06:33:54 AM »
Went to several AD yesterday and all the cabinets were almost empty with a few pieces of ladies model. The register of interest list for sport models was insanely long. Looks like almost impossible to get a Rolex at retail.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »
Went to several AD yesterday and all the cabinets were almost empty with a few pieces of ladies model. The register of interest list for sport models was insanely long. Looks like almost impossible to get a Rolex at retail.

I went to all AD in Klang Valley for the past 6 months... everytime same result. I even lower my requirement to silver Datejust. Still trying my luck until today. Lucky enough I can get this :

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »

I went to all AD in Klang Valley for the past 6 months... everytime same result. I even lower my requirement to silver Datejust. Still trying my luck until today. Lucky enough I can get this :

Good for you! Is that a 41mm no date sub?