Author Topic: Cuckoo or mechanical wall clock  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Clicko

Cuckoo or mechanical wall clock
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
Not sure where to post. Mods can move to the right place.

Anyone has cuckoo or mechanical wall clock? Are cuckoo clocks mechanical only? Care to share your experience? And where to buy them?

Offline KimmJio

• Freshie
Re: Cuckoo or mechanical wall clock
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:50:06 PM »
I have 2 cuckoo clocks. Both quartz and bought them in Frankfurt, Germany. Bought them some years ago, can't rem exact prices but is between EUR 150 - 200 each. Mine suck batteries rather quickly and are using 4x C-size batteries, as they play music and cuckoos every hour. They have light detection so when the lights are off, they'll stop playing music and cuckoos.

There are mechanical cuckoo clocks, which need winding depending on the power reserve of the clock. Mechanical cuckoo clocks are much more expensive than quartz ones. Depending on how elaborate the design, it can range from EUR 300 and up.

You can buy them online, i bought mine mostly because of a tourist's shopping mentality.  ;D

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
I was looking for a nice cuckoo clock some time back, so just share my 2 sen here. Yup, there are 2 types- quartz and mechanical. For the mechanical ones, you could choose from the various power reserves ranging from daily to few days' worth of juice. For the daily ones, you would need to make it a routine to use the chain to wind it up daily so that your time remains accurate. Like our mechanical watches, the mechanical cuckoo clocks would necessitate maintenance when age catches up; but there are professional clocksmith proving such servicing jobs.

And the designs have evolved quite a fair bit from the traditional Black Forest motives to some really modern pieces these days. I saw some real nice, elaborate pieces and the pricing was w-o-a-h too :o Japanese ones (I think they were from Rhythm) are mainly quartz and the prices very much lower; but of course, the Black Forest ones are hand-assembled so they carry the artistic value there. You could also get them in Malaysia- one of the outlets that carry the Swiss cuckoo clocks was in Mid Valley, but obviously the prices reflect the rental in the location. You could negotiate though as the price was not fixed  per se (or at least when I viewed there).

Do show us what was your final purchase  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
I love cuckoo clocks. Always reminds me of my childhood. Yeah, as everyone has said there are both quartz and mechanical ones.

AFAIK, i remember I saw a quartz cuckoo clock which doesn't run on batteries but direct AC power via a adapter (something like your handphone charger). These type are more convenient, as you don't have to change the battery frequently, as mentioned by KimmJio, cuckoo clocks 'eats' batteries as it requires alot of power to run the cuckoo mechanism and the music.

As for mechanical ones, yeah saw that before too. Prices rather expensive though. There's an Orient boutique in Tokyo Street at Pavillion KL, saw alot of mechanical clocks there, if I remember correctly they had a 21 day mechanical clock too. I saw a few cuckoo clocks there but didn't ask whether it was mechanical or quartz.

Seiko fan.....

Offline Clicko

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
Tks bros for the info, will be shopping around...

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »
I bought three mechanical black forest cuckoo clock from one of the shops in Titisee (not so far from Freiburg im Brisgau). The cheapest mechanical BF cuckoo clock is eur110 (this is the conventional design with bird on top of the clock) and the one i bought was not the conventional design (after discount eur200 i think)..... And as Andy correctly pointed out, the price pretty much depends on the 'power reserve' and the design (how many manhours involved to complete the clock)....

Bear in mind, prices quoted above were before the VAT refund....

Personally, i would not buy the quartz cuckoo clock..... The sound is not right and when you hear the cuckoo from the mechanical version, the chime just melts your heart.....and of course the price for quartz is much cheaper...

Anyway, this is one of my cuckoo clock....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline Clicko

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
I bought three mechanical black forest cuckoo clock from one of the shops in Titisee (not so far from Freiburg im Brisgau). The cheapest mechanical BF cuckoo clock is eur110 (this is the conventional design with bird on top of the clock) and the one i bought was not the conventional design (after discount eur200 i think)..... And as Andy correctly pointed out, the price pretty much depends on the 'power reserve' and the design (how many manhours involved to complete the clock)....

Bear in mind, prices quoted above were before the VAT refund....

Personally, i would not buy the quartz cuckoo clock..... The sound is not right and when you hear the cuckoo from the mechanical version, the chime just melts your heart.....and of course the price for quartz is much cheaper...

Anyway, this is one of my cuckoo clock....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very nice cuckoo clock :thumbsup:, the detail is there. Will it play music after the cuckoo? Can't wait to see you others collection as well.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:51:39 PM by Clicko »

Offline Timeless

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »
I remember there cuckoo clock shop in mv mall, u may try your luck there