Author Topic: Seiko Discus-burger SCBS007 (long and big pics!)  (Read 12912 times)

Offline peanut

Seiko Discus-burger SCBS007 (long and big pics!)
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »
Introduction

This is an impulse purchase for me.  I call this love at first sight.  I saw a picture of the watch here in this forum and decided to get it immediately even though I have just purchased my Alain Silberstein iKrono a few days before!  This is my first mail order Seiko and it wont be the last! 

Specifications

* List price: 73,500 JPY
* Designer: Tomoko Tomita
* Manufacturer: SEIKO
* Automatic self-winding movement
* Calibre 6R15 (with handwind and hacking function) but no calendar
* 23 Jewels
* 50 hour power reserve
* Average accuracy between +25 seconds from -15 seconds per day
* Diameter 41mm
* Thickness 14.3 mm
* Weight: 70 g (without strap)
* Leather Strap
* Hardened Stainless Steel case
* Crystal: Hardlex
* See through back: Hardlex
* Made in Japan

The Box and Packaging

This Seiko is part of the Seiko Moving Design Collection.  It has won the Good Design Award in 2007!  It comes in very environmental friendly paper boxes.  The outer box is an attractive green box.  Open the green box reveals a grey box which contains the watch and documentation.  The packaging is simple, straight forward and "green"   :thumbsup:   Personally I like this versus the elaborate wooden boxes of some of the more expensive watches but that's individual taste. 

Even though this is targeted for Japanese domestic market, I am surprised to find that there are English instructions!  Seiko should be praised for even including the basic instructions on how to take care of your automatic watch in the booklet.  It may be useful for new owners of automatic watches.  The watch comes in 1 year Japan only warranty.

Apple green outer box

Grey inner box

... but with green interior highlight again!

The star attraction   ;D

Nice instructions and comes in language that we understand too!

Initial Impression

The watch is very beautifully made and the design is modern and yet classic.  I have worn this watch for a few days and have shown this to friends and family.  So far all of them love it!  Note: not all of them like my AP RO or Alain Silberstein iKrono   ;D    The watch utilizes the common 6R15 23J Seiko movement.  But instead of the standard 3-hand layout, rotating aluminum discs are used to display time.  The outermost disc shows Hours, then minutes and seconds.  The time is viewed through a smaller display window on the left side of the crystal.  The crystal is made from a proprietary Seiko Hardlex.  I understand that it is not as hard as sapphire crystal in terms of scratch resistance but it is more shatter proof than sapphire.  One thing for sure, it doesn't feel cheap or plasticky.

Much has talked about the design principles of this watch.  Seiko claimed that this is a part of Moving Design Collection with strong focus and commitment to ecology and environment. 

I come across an article that explains the design philosophy translated from Japanese ...
http://home.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-17/pi-2399381/ti-401686/s-0/

"The dial design reflects how the universe operates. Beneath the clear opening of the crystal, three fine grain aluminum disks run harmoniously like the universe. Everyone’s eyes are glued to the expression method that reminds you of the orbiting paths of the planets.
a. The dark crystal represents the universe.
b. The clear area of the crystal represents the earth floating in the universe.
c. The green triangles represents yourself on earth."

Wow! This is very deep and profound!  I can see that time is waiting for no one (see 2nd phto below  ;D) and also the rotating discs represent time moving in the Circle of Life!   ;D

The Seiko Discusburgers come in 2 variances.  The black (SCBS007 - shown here) and the white (SCBS005).  The black SCBS007 is more "widely" seen and that's the one I bought.  Again, this is up to individual taste but the black discusburger shows more variations in look/appearance under different lighting conditions vs the white model.  For example, the "Seiko" logo on the black model can appear or disappear when viewed from different angles!

The "Seiko" logo sort of disappear ...

The smallest disc ("second" disc) is spinning to fast for my shutter speed!

Closeup of the front crystal and dial

Case and Straps

The case design is probably where the "Discus-burger" nickname comes from.  It does look like a burger from the side view!  The case of the watch is black PVD steel.  I can't tell how hard it is against knocks as it is still new.  However, this is a magnet for dust and dirt and it is not easy to photograph this!  You can see that dirt and finger prints on some of the shots here.   >:(

The crown is a bit small but OK to handwind.  It is not as good/comfortable to handwind as my AP RO, Blancpain Leman or even Ball but it is better than my Glashutte Pano   :)  When you handwind the watch, it gives a more pronounced "grrrrrrrrr" industrial sound than my other watches. This calibre also comes with second hacking but no calendar.

The strap is simple and with deployment buckle.  Overall, it fits my wrist just fine.  The finishing is about right for a watch in this price range.

The Back

The back of the case is held by 4 screws.  Similar to the front, it also has Hardlex crystal and with a similar display window where you can see the simple movement of the 6R15 calibre.  Seiko 6R15 calibre is an "afforable" range movement found in Seiko's Spirit range and Sumo watches.  Despite its less than impressive (or rather conservative) of +25 and -15 sec per day spec, it is actually perform better than that.  I didn't do a proper measurement but i believe it is better than the spec indicates.  A comparable movement would be ETA2824.  I have done a research on the net on this and many have indicated that the Seiko is just as good if not better than the ETA2824!

Beautiful backside

... but not much decoration and finishing is OK only

Can't expect too much at this price point!

Conclusions

For the price, the Seiko Discus burger is hard to beat.  It may not be suitable for those people that are fussy about accuracy and precision (on telling the time).  First, one has to get used to how to read the time and reading time between the two green triangles on the crystal is not as precise as conventional 3-hand layout.  Second, while the 6R15 is a good, solid and stable movement, it has hardly a Grand Seiko or Spring Drive type of accuracy.  That said, I am quite happy with the accuracy of the watch so far - even though I have not done time exact timing measurement.

The main reason I bought this is the interesting design.  Its simplicity of design and "monochrome" color is an antithesis to Alain Silberstein's colorful, playful and "busy" dial.  However, like AS, this is a watch that either you are smittened by it or you hate it.  That said, I have yet to come across any of my friends and family that hates it.  Many use the words "cool", "beautiful", "classy", "unique" to describe it. 

My original intent was to try to wear this as a daily beater.  However, I think I need to look for another one as a daily beater because this watch is: a) the Harlex crystal is susceptible to scratches, b) it is not easy to tell time on a casual glance due to its unique design, c) there is no date.  So daily practicality is not as good.  As a result this one is relegated to occasional wrist time!  That said, I am still wearing this often.  This is a testament to the uniqueness of this watch considering it is competing against the likes of AP, Glashutte, Blancpain, IWC, Alain Silberstein, Omega, etc.

It is so simple and yet so attractive.  It is modern and yet classic.  This is a watch that one can fit in nicely in both formal and casual wear.  It can hold its own against watches many times its price!  I think this is a keeper for me. 

P/s: Just remember to carry a cleaning cloth with you when you wear this watch!   ;D

Final Ratings

Recommend to Buy: Highly Recommended  :thumbsup:
Suitability as Daily Wear: May be but not so in my case. 

Price/Value for Money: 7/10
Reliability: 8/10 (based on proven 6R15)
Design/Look: 9/10
Case materials: 7/10
Accuracy/Precision: 4/10 (Accuracy OK but precision is not there)
Finishing: 5/10 (average)
Comfortable to Wear: 6/10
Fun factor: 9/10

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:18:42 AM by peanut »

Offline takashi78

Re: Seiko Discus-burger SCBS007 (long and many pics!)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »
Very nice review!
I quite like the white "dial" version as well but feel it doesnt have too much of a contras and "mystery" feel that the black ver has.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
well write man!

we need more post like this!

Offline k33lin

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:06:05 AM »
Looks cool! Thanks for sharing  ;)

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 06:39:22 AM »
Good write up. Thanks for sharing

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »
Fantanstic review and photograhy skills  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »
Good write up mate... :thumbsup: look forward for u next seiko review  :Cheers:

Offline peanut

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
The next one is probably SBGE001 but it will be some time as I am still bleeding from getting too many watches in the last 6 months!  :HammerHead:

Offline HusH

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
Excellent review on an excellent watch!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

You're right, the watch is a finger print magnet. That drives me crazy sometimes.
Wear this special piece in good health!  :Cheers: