Author Topic: My First Homage  (Read 36351 times)

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
My First Homage
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
Received my first homage watch on 21 January 2010 from Getat.
Watch was ordered and paid on 24 December 2009 and the shipment was stuck in HK post office for some times due to some issue. Communication via email was ok but reply often delay by 2-3 days, he is trying his best to answer all my quiries.

The specification:-
Movement: Asian Unitas 6497 stainless steel
Case: 47mm without crown 316L polished steel with doom plexiglass
Dial: California sandwich (he claimed better lume than painted dial)

Thanks ckng515 for letting me try on his destro 47mm homage MM, looks ok on my wrist. I chose this homage Pam3646 because it is the original, simplest, basic design and I like the unique California dial, no wordings so eliminate the possible wordings misaligned issue.

Outter box

Inner box secured by bubble wrap

Simple watch case with bubble wrap and plastic to protect the watch

Lastly, wrist shot, surprisingly not looking too huge on my wrist  ;D

The watch is currenly under 'treatment' and more detailed technical review will be posted by Chris  8)

Offline Scott C.

Re: My First Homage
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »
Good looking.. I like the dial  :thumbsup:

Offline HusH

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
Hi ck77,

Sorry to learn that your experience with getat has not been very good.

I have bought 2 watches from him and the i waited approx. 2 weeks for each watch. He made one error with my 1st watch; the hands was the wrong colour. But he contra the price of the hands for my next watch so no complaints. I was satisfied with both watches.

But this was before he got popular amongst the homage community. I guess when his sales volume went up, he does not have the capacity to accommodate. Hence I've read about slow turnaround time, slow e-mail responses, wrong orders arriving in the post, inconsistent QC etc...

One positive about getat is the straps (which you can customize) which I think is really good quality for its price.

Anyway, the sandwich dial looks really nice! Did you get the superlume option for the dial?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »
as per CK request.... i'm helping him to write a review on this watch....

i received this watch from CK77 yesterday due to its running an hour ++ faster in a day!

when i took this out from my pocket... a wire lug is loosen... lucky the screw is still there....

first impression bout the case and dial

the watch doesnt look like a 3646 to me...
the case shape bid odd... the dial look rather small.... the crown more to radiormir than 3646..
the mineral crystal wasnt tall enough...

the hands is black, vintage pam is either gold or blued...
the california dial is sandwich.... with orangy lume... the hand also orangy but both color not matching....

the watchmaker carelessly left some dirt on at 4, 5 & 6....

the screw in crown is difficult to screw in.. not smooth at all... at closer look... yes, its dirty and rough...

the leather strap is good looking from far.... thick and smooth stitching...

however i dont understand why the thread end like that, i believe is due to using nylon thread.... not those waxed thread.... because if it is a higher end waxed thread, it wont reverse through stitching hole even u didnt tie the end
so... i wonder the big thread tied knob will scratch my hand... let me try it tomorrow...

i'm surprise the caseback is not close tied... i can use my hand to open it... lucky ck never ask me to test the wr....
the movement is china made... no sure is tianjing or seagull
yes CK... it is loud... much louder than a std 6497

good or bad is relative... so i compare this with a soprod finished eta6498-1
the bridges look like a 6497 clone... but bridges been finished with cote de geneva(cdg), blued screws, pam alike swan neck regulator added!

made in china (mic)

eta

as u can see... the mic is even have is edge trimmed.. but not well polished...
even the cdg is rough....

mic

eta

another look, the ctg is obviously rough...

mic

eta

i notice below the balance wheel, eta has 2 blued screws... mic only has one non blue screw

mic

the screw locking the crown stem is screw n unscrew by wrong size of of screwdriver before...
and the untrained watchmaker actually left some dust nearby...

mic

eta

eta used incabloc... mic must be using its own design... or another clone  :Laughing_on_floor:

mic

eta

eta used chemical blued screw i believed... the color is very consistent... mic blued the screw like pam n other higher end watches... even the screw driver flat plat touching sunken part also blued, likely chemical blued as well....

the watch gaining an hour ++ aday.... interesting... but it was consistently faster.... so i was thinking to adjust the balance and see...
found the swan neck can only do very little adjustment.... because the adjusting screw is so short to its adjusting index
so when i wanna make more adjustment.. the swan neck adjusting screw is just too short...

in order to adjust to an hour slower.... i even get the swan neck head out from pushing the balance spring adjustment needle....

i dont hv the timing machine at home... so far its running + few second to my phone after 5 hours....

PS - lazy to make a lume short... but i can tell the sandwich dial lume is poor.... the hands is ok...

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:31:19 AM »
Wow nice one Chris !

Good comparison and can clearly see the diff.

I also just received my watch frm Getat but am more lucky than CK that the watch runs fine, havent really check accuracy though.

I agree that you get what you paid for so i have no complaints.

Too bad i dont have camera which can do macro shoot or even decent shoots for that matter.

Care to review mine as well?  ;D

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 06:56:53 AM »
Wow, Chris. Good marco shots. I am impressed.

Good review too.

I, too, had the same merchandise from getat. However, i do not have much problem on the watch. My pc is running fine.

After all, I agreed with Peter.  What you paid is what you get. And after reading the review from Chris, I feel blessed with the 2533 from him (Chris). And I am withdrawing my sales from the Sales Corner.....

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »
Many thanks Chris for your detailed review  :thumbsup:
No matter how close to 3646, this is a fun watch to me  8) When you pay peanuts, you get monkey  :Dancing_banana:
Just hope that it can keep the 'correct' time for few years  :Praying:

Hush, guess am unlucky here and no, I didn't opt for the superlume. Yes, strap is good and I can smell the leather.

takashi, glad to hear yours is ok.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:07:03 AM »
update....

wearing this since 730am....

the watch is running fine after.... not time with machine... but within the min with my iphone time after 2 hour....

the crown is not well finish... painful to screw n unscrew...

the strap like i said... the end stitch was tied... that scratch to my hand a little...
ck - u wanna re stitch this? i hv quite similar color thread.... buy me another coffee....  :Laughing_on_floor:

takashi - u r right.... for the price u pay for... no complaint.... as long as it run within a min a day... just a thick leather strap already cost u 1/3 of the price....

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 07:14:50 AM »
update....

wearing this since 730am....

the watch is running fine after.... not time with machine... but within the min with my iphone time after 2 hour....

the crown is not well finish... painful to screw n unscrew...

the strap like i said... the end stitch was tied... that scratch to my hand a little...
ck - u wanna re stitch this? i hv quite similar color thread.... buy me another coffee....  :Laughing_on_floor:

Chris, have to buy you nasi lemak plus cofee liao  :laugh: If you got time and won't neglect little Chris, I don't mind  :Dancing_banana:
One thing Chris, can you confirm this is 6497 or 6498?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:17:04 AM by ck77 »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:13 AM »

Chris, have to buy you nasi lemak plus cofee liao  :laugh: If you got time and won't neglect little Chris, I don't mind  :Dancing_banana:
One thing Chris, can you confirm this is 6497 or 6498?

thats how i pass my time in weekend... play with my little chris.......
after he sleep.... then i'll hv 1 hour plus to cook, clean, shoot photo, read paper, online... watches!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:22:11 AM »
CK,

I got the superlume ver, and i can tell ya it still wont last long. maybe just abit longer than my SD lume.

Chris,

Lets meet up this weekend and i pass you mine to compare with CK's and see if any diff, lunch of coffee on me haha.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:34 AM »
Chris, which watch you will pass down to little Chris?  ;D
Okok, let's do a GTG this weekend  :Dancing_banana:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
Chris, which watch you will pass down to little Chris?  ;D
Okok, let's do a GTG this weekend  :Dancing_banana:

a homage.....  :Laughing_on_floor:

saturday lunch mayb.... night time got dinner...

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
Update.

Getat has refunded some cost to me, +1 to him  :thumbsup: Chris, buy you lunch  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
Sat lunch sounds good.
Location Bangsar or KL or any other place?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
Update.

Getat has refunded some cost to me, +1 to him  :thumbsup: Chris, buy you lunch  :Laughing_on_floor:

Props to Getat for doing the right thing.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
Update.

yes. he still earn his respect this way...
i hv got 3 times partial refund like that due to problem with watches....
i repair here n seller pay....

Offline jasontyh

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:59 AM »
 :Cheers: u guys know each other?

Offline jasontyh

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »
i'm looking for a good homage as well  :Confused:

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
Dude...u definitely own some very good camera with a good lens...that pretty much i can say....hehhe

Nonetheless great attention to details from you...Love reading your review...

Will share mine when i got it...till then...cheers

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »
My two Homage say 'HI' to all

The LH pc use the authentic swiss movement - This pc from chrisyen
The RH pc 1950 use the asian movement - This pc is for sales.

dc
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:29:14 PM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline ckcspice

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »
i just got my first pam homage from jackson tse...must say i m not impressed at all...i know i m only paying USD123 for the item, but the QC is quite bad...there is speck of white particle at between the 10 n 11 o'clock position...not sure if it is dust or wat.....sandwich lume is dirty n patchy - this is visible from a dirty blob at the '12' numerals, specifically the digit '1'....lume is patchy if u look closely at nite....the crown guard came not screwed in completely flush to the case...had to DIY a bit...buckle was scratched...all in all, this is a brand new watch...i did not expect it 2 even match my 104 at all, but there r just 2 many signs of very poor workmanship n negligence...i have emailed jackson last nite but he has not replied till now...shall wait some more n see....wat do u guys think of my experience??..any comments or advice??...feel free 2 add here....cheers...

Offline duniajam

• Dunia Jam
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
I think you should wait for a while. Maybe he is on holiday now. I've been email Marco Corp Malaysia (Casio) about a doubt 16 days ago... until now no response.... maybe they're too busy....   :Mad:  Poor customer services....   :thumbsdown:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
i just got my first pam homage from jackson tse...must say i m not impressed at all...i know i m only paying USD123 for the item, but the QC is quite bad...there is speck of white particle at between the 10 n 11 o'clock position...not sure if it is dust or wat.....sandwich lume is dirty n patchy - this is visible from a dirty blob at the '12' numerals, specifically the digit '1'....lume is patchy if u look closely at nite....the crown guard came not screwed in completely flush to the case...had to DIY a bit...buckle was scratched...all in all, this is a brand new watch...i did not expect it 2 even match my 104 at all, but there r just 2 many signs of very poor workmanship n negligence...i have emailed jackson last nite but he has not replied till now...shall wait some more n see....wat do u guys think of my experience??..any comments or advice??...feel free 2 add here....cheers...

Well, their QC is really a hit and miss. Let's wait for his reply, perhaps can get some refund (like in my case). Do post the review of your homage.

Offline adrian

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 12:59:27 AM »

My homage from Jackson had the same issues. White particle at 11 o'clock, scratched case, wrong buckle. The thing about Jackson is that he doesn't build the watch, he orders it from a supplier and ships it out to the customer (obviously without checking 1st). I returned the watch to him for an exchange.