Author Topic: not very rich newbie  (Read 7061 times)

Offline ooiyijing

not very rich newbie
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:41 AM »
hey guys, new here and need some opinion and help. Plus i've just starting to grow a passion for watches, which of course makes me new to this forum.  ::) Been wanting to get my dear girl a watch, have a budget around 2k. guys think i could get a longines for her? any suggestion really appreciated. thank you thank you

Offline G.MAC

Re: not very rich newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:21:02 AM »
welcome to the forum. I'll leave the recommendations for a women's watch to the others as I am not too well-verse with  women's watch. Enjoy the hunt for the watch and the satisfaction of giving a watch to your girl.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Online ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:54 AM »
Welcome.
Try to explore seiko, orient, tissot, hamilton

And by the way, we are not very rich here, we are rich in knowledge of horology
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:37:16 AM by ck77 »

Offline ooiyijing

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:46:56 AM »
wow this forum is amazing man, good people are everywhere!! Thanks guys,  well i wanted to buy my girl a watch because im guilty of my thoughts to buy myself another watch while her wrist are empty :-X. and of course she's been amazing to me......

Well, sharing knowledge is more precious than anything else. THanks ck77, i will look into those brands.  :Cheers:

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:22:33 AM »
Welcome and enjoy your stay here  :Cheers:

Ya, Tissot or maybe Longines quartz maybe in or a bit over but worth looking into it.. i saw a quartz longines quite nice on lady.. white dial, 3 hands.. simply elegant :)

Offline ooiyijing

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:22 AM »
Yeah, some googling around i found some nice longines. read that they are one of those watches that last long. any of you have personal experience with them?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »
Good brand with long history. Sadly much of it gone now. Hope the owners will let it grow and be what is use to be. Long history with aviation and the sea. They were in places they were not known to be and not in places where they were claimed to be in. I like the watches and the brand. Good to see that they have the new chrono movement (hopefully exclusive to them) from 'daddy'.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »
welcome on board Ooi.you can drop me a mail anytme, or my mobile.

Offline ooiyijing

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »
thanks tonykpk, will do so if i need any advise :)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »
Welcome! more often then not, ladies prefer quartz watches as they do not like the hassle of winding watches/resetting the time if the power runs out.  :thumbsup:
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline ooiyijing

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
Today is a very exciting day, just received my new poljot 3133 zeppelin from US  :laugh: But something is still puzzling me as this is my 1st mechanical watch. Can anyone help me out with a few questions and doubts?
How would i know if the watch is fully wind? what will happened if i overwind?
And is it normal for the chrono function and clock stops on its own while it seems to still contain power reserve (i was able to re-start or continue running the chrono and clock by engaging the chrono trigger again without winding it) ?
Oh and any recommendation as to where i can pierce some extra holes on the strap to fit my pencil wrist?

Thanks in advance if anyone could help me out!  :Cheers:

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:40 PM »
Today is a very exciting day, just received my new poljot 3133 zeppelin from US  :laugh: But something is still puzzling me as this is my 1st mechanical watch. Can anyone help me out with a few questions and doubts?
And is it normal for the chrono function and clock stops on its own while it seems to still contain power reserve (i was able to re-start or continue running the chrono and clock by engaging the chrono trigger again without winding it) ?
Oh and any recommendation as to where i can pierce some extra holes on the strap to fit my pencil wrist?

Hi ooi,  20 x wind app. 24hrs. 40x wind . app 44hrs. The more you wind the more resistant you will felt on the crown , you can stop if it can't go anymore, for good practice  stop when the resistant is too great .The clock n chronograph function should not stop if it still has reserved power left. For the strap , go to any watch dealer you know n I'm sure they will do for you... tony.     p.s    enjoy your new toy :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:48:25 PM by tonykpk »

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »

Ooi , just to let you know.Next time you can post questions like these on the General Discussions modern watches..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:03:14 PM by tonykpk »

Offline ooiyijing

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
thanks Tony =) just found out how to post things there. Been getting used to the manual winding and changed my strap. I am quite addicted to it!

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 09:17:10 PM »
Ooi enjoy wearing it. Try to post a picture of your new toy....fr  ..tony     :thumbsup:
thanks Tony =) just found out how to post things there. Been getting used to the manual winding and changed my strap. I am quite addicted to it!

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
Welcome ooi to MWF.
Please share with us the picture of your Zeppelin.

Cheers.
 :Cheers: