Author Topic: Restoring a Rusty Rolex GMT Master II - Video  (Read 3583 times)

Offline revvd

• Freshie
Restoring a Rusty Rolex GMT Master II - Video
« on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:34 AM »
Hey guys, don't know why but this makes for a pretty satisfying video to watch (pun intended). Didn't know that a Rolex could have rusted so badly just by lying in the drawer for years. Would you bear to let your grail sit in your drawer unused?  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=267795968265389

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Restoring a Rusty Rolex GMT Master II - Video
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 12:37:37 PM »
Kan? There's something very satisfying about these kinds of projects. I also like watching Red Dead Restoration on youtube, great restoration work.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 05:23:16 PM »
back in the day, Rolex was not considered a grail at all. My late grandfather beat the s*** out of his. It went in for a full service a few years ago and is sitting my the wrist of my cousin today, still looking good. Folks back in the day do not treat watches like jewellery like most ppl do these days. Look at a certain watch forum and you will see many threads asking if it is safe to wear his watch doing a certain activity. I just look at these threads and laugh...seriously la...please la...it’s just a watch. If you can’t afford to have it scratched or having a few scuff marks on it, you don’t deserve to wear it.

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »
back in the day, Rolex was not considered a grail at all. My late grandfather beat the s*** out of his. It went in for a full service a few years ago and is sitting my the wrist of my cousin today, still looking good. Folks back in the day do not treat watches like jewellery like most ppl do these days. Look at a certain watch forum and you will see many threads asking if it is safe to wear his watch doing a certain activity. I just look at these threads and laugh...seriously la...please la...it’s just a watch. If you can’t afford to have it scratched or having a few scuff marks on it, you don’t deserve to wear it.

I do see your point, though to each their own. I think each watch owners own or buy their pieces for different reasons, some sentimental, some for milestones, or some just because they can. But with the ever rising value of hot selling models especially on Rolex, can you really blame them for trying to take good care. Walked into a shop and was told that new Hulks are about 95k-100k to my disbelieve.

For me, few scratches or scuff marks aren't a big deal, but then again I'm super clumsy. Though definitely not gonna leave it in the drawer to rust ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 08:46:43 AM »

I do see your point, though to each their own. I think each watch owners own or buy their pieces for different reasons, some sentimental, some for milestones, or some just because they can. But with the ever rising value of hot selling models especially on Rolex, can you really blame them for trying to take good care. Walked into a shop and was told that new Hulks are about 95k-100k to my disbelieve.

For me, few scratches or scuff marks aren't a big deal, but then again I'm super clumsy. Though definitely not gonna leave it in the drawer to rust ;D

Wearing a watch and getting some nicks and dings from normal use is fine but some people posting doing extreme sports or fixing a car engine with a watch on is just plain silly. Not to mention the dangers of having something tough that could get tangled up and cause you some injury as a result.

Retail on a steel Submariner is around 35k +/- only so don't entertain the premiums in the grey market. Hulk for RM95k? Tell them to shove it and buy an Offshore instead and have spare change for a full service later.

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 07:46:24 AM »
Wearing a watch and getting some nicks and dings from normal use is fine but some people posting doing extreme sports or fixing a car engine with a watch on is just plain silly. Not to mention the dangers of having something tough that could get tangled up and cause you some injury as a result.

Retail on a steel Submariner is around 35k +/- only so don't entertain the premiums in the grey market. Hulk for RM95k? Tell them to shove it and buy an Offshore instead and have spare change for a full service later.

Indeed on hulks. Would rather top up and get a Daytona imho.