Author Topic: Microbrands - is there's any microbrands that produce a "tank" type of watch?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline faizall

Hi.

One of the design that always attract me is the tank type of watch..such as Cartier tank, Reverso JLC or Dolce Vita Longines. Wondering is there's any microbrand that produce this type of watch? Any good suggestions? most of the microbrands that I found were focusing to the Subs style / homage, aviator...but couldn't find (yet) that focusing on this tank style.

Anyone share the same interest?   :thumbsup:

Offline pleasuresaurus

Interesting u should ask this, I think I have just the thing  :laugh:

Check out Schnelle Co. by ex-Chronoswiss watchmaker Thomas Schnelle (https://tommlab.de/) He also can be found on IG (https://instagram.com/schnelle.co?igshid=drf59fnxcy6r)

His latest project is an interesting take on the rectangular-shaped case, powered by a modified manual Longines 9LT movement that's handsomely finished and resplendent with gold chatons and other decorations.

Offline faizall

Cool bro! haha followed him in Instagram straight away.

I really think the rectangular watch will fit in all occasion and all fashion. Just wanted to try find on the microbrand market if there's any available. I think enough with the subs homage, dah terlalu byk nowadays. let's start with the tank and Tonneau design...more catchy I think haha.

Offline pleasuresaurus

That's the thing though, the diver watches seems to be what's in demand. I remembered back around 2015 or so when the whole kickstarter / go fund me micro brand watch craze started, the bulk of the startups coming into the fray were predominantly divers, followed by fashion stuff. Got to admit, even I got drawn into myself  ;D. Major brands and independents have a foothold in this niche, but micros not so much. I actually had a thought for acquiring a square case of some kind, and realized that was in evens shorter supply than tonneaus and rectos. I was interested in 3 possible builds, and 2 were German.

Offline Cocas

I like "tank" shape watch too.

Tissot Heritage is good but too bad mostly quartz movement.

Armand Nicholet L11 is good too.

The discontinued tank watch brands are Dubois, Dunhill, 

Offline pleasuresaurus

Actually  what happened to Dunhill ya? I remembered back 20 years ago they used to be everywhere, iirc even KLCC had a boutique. After that gone.

Offline pleasuresaurus

Minase have some pretty stylish recto cases too, running modified ETA2824/SW200 movements, with options for rubber, leather and ss bracelets.

Offline pleasuresaurus

Here's another I discovered while trawling the net, this is the Retromatic by Brew Watch Co. NYC. The company's designs are seemingly inspired by coffee culture, these in particular run on either SW200 or NH35 cal. movements. They've got a couple of chronographs as well, running on quartz movements. At first glance the chronos reminded me of the Glashutte Original Seventies series.