Author Topic: Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver LE SBGA071  (Read 21389 times)

Offline davidtth

Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver LE SBGA071
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
For the first time, writing a small review (sorry for my poor english), more like my personal feeling towards the watch after having it for a week, most pleasant watch compare to some swiss watch i acquire before.

Grand Seiko is highest range of Seiko (not to mention Credor), one of the finest hand made and best quality in Seiko. The brand itself is not so famous for most people but those who known well in watch will understand how good and how well worthy it can be, Seiko brand name is always the low range affordable watch yet very reliable in quartz or automatic. Spring Drive, a movement came into market not too long ago, based on Seiko they had spend years in prototype to manufacture the best accuracy and best reliability for mechanism watch. Some says its not a 100% mechanism watch due to some electronic parts were used in the movement, for me, reliable and long lasting watch are always my concern because eventually, you are paying for a worth every penny watch instead of the brand name itself, at least for me who loves stuff that can last long :)

I've been eying on the GS diver titanium since back to 2007 when i'm still in my college time, the watch is only can be dream and never though the dream came true earlier than i expected :p I've tried or own mid range swiss watch like omg, roc, pam, br, ball and etc, each watches have their own style, feeling and characteristic. Until i have it on hold of GS, i told myself, there is no longer for me the need to keep so many watch, GS (for now) is the only watch i'll keep

GS SBGA071, originally announced to have 150 limited pieces at Basel Fair 2012, due to demand they had increased to 200 pieces limited. I'm pretty lucky to hunt it down since i'm been waiting a good chance to own one, and the LE with blue face launched in market just right in time for me to grab one. The first feeling when holding on hand is like, wow, solid piece of steel, and i started to touch the smoothness of the watch itself, before hand, I've actually tried Joseph one of the MWF member here and been my very best consultant (as know as bad poisoner too, LOL) and getting know him for quite some times via photography interests. He is kind enough to lend me the GS chrono to molest.... and yes, the smooth of the polish is unbelievable! GS use the Zaratsu or so call Japanese's Katana polishing method on the watch case itself, impressive...

the great blue face, interesting enough, it reflect different color in different lighting situation, under bright sunlight it looks like a royal blue while in the dim light it turns to a navy dark blue alike (as you can see in the pix 1 and 2)

another interesting idea, a second hand with two done, the blue and the gold mix. 72 hour power reserve with a texture behind clearly show the separation and easy read in any light condition. a 3D looks on Seiko and GS words but not sure if its pure gold or gold plated. with the iconic Grand Seiko wording follow by the use of Spring drive movement with 200m water resistance. Somehow 200m is consider quite low compare to most of the diver watch which rated at least 300m above, but hack, i'm not gonna bring this to swim anyway :p

nice crowd, function like a charm, very smooth to operate with not much tension and quick adjustment on date and minute hand. the logo is very detail and fine made, my camera is not strong enough to capture the macro since its only a small PnS. The uni-directional bezel as well easy turning with a very nice contrast and shiny harden black coated.

is pretty hard for me to take a pix of the polished area, it always reflect myself into it, so i just put it on my micro fiber jacket and you can see the mirror alike polish reflect every single micro fiber so clearly. like i mention before, GS are very well in details and finishing, the case polishing used Zaratsu method at its best.

bright lume are well known in many Seiko diver watch like those monster, sumo, marine master, tuna and etc. read from one of the review and it say it all "The proprietary Lumi Brite luminescence is the same utilized in the highly acclaimed Seiko Space Walk.  This is some of the brightest natural lume you can find in the watch world." From the pix, it shows bright even with a little shade in indoor

last but not least, the case back, the Lion Logo and the limited edition numbered. Some fren told me why not go for a see thru back case since paying so much for a watch. As for me, i'd love to see the Lion case because its a logo of truly high end quality watch.

I'm still consider new in watch world, so i cant tell much in terms of the movement, it use Spring Drive model 9R65 and till today (7 days of use on hand) the accuracy is just +6 different ! Another impressive invention from Seiko i'd say, two thumbs up !

UPDATED : tested another 1 week using time.is website, accuracy till date is 0 second diff ! :D

conclusion, no regret spending so much on a "Seiko" watch :p it worth paying every single cent compare to most of other watches i have so far, its total in-house made from every single little small parts, quality control on every single GS are much more tougher, just like PP and Lange, hand made at this point of price GS watch is really reasonable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:01:32 AM by davidtth »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver LE SBGA071
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
wah david, a great personal review with very good macro pics highlighting the fine detailed finishing of GS…which compact camera are u using? You are not even using a dedicated macro lens + Raynox and yet you came up with very fine pics.. great lighting angles too….

I'm very lazy to do a detailed review of any of my watches so far… maybe should find the time to do one for each and every GS I have..and maybe the GOs & JLCs too..
Looks like you'll have to keep this GS for good as the pre-owned value is poor compared to Rollies….hope you don't regret taking my advice to get this GS over the Sub as I chose the SBGA031 GS SD hi-brite titanium over the Rollie Sub & the latest Explorer II when I tried all of them on in Wako, Tokyo and my wife fully concurred although she was surprised that the cost of the GS is almost that of the 2 Rollies.
My first GS was acquired several years back and to-date I have 4 and I can tell you, I have zero regrets. In fact I'm just waiting for GS to come up with newer models with different calibres and complications and I'm sure to add on more.
No point for me to get any more from the current line-up as I already got the different calibres like the limited hand-wind manual, the hi-beat 36,000 vph automatic, the Spring Drive GMT and Spring Drive Chrono.
My fervent hope is that GS comes up with a hi-beat 36,000 vph chrono/GMT or a hi-beat 36,000 day-date.

By the way, I'm surprised your watch is running +6 after a week…. are you very sure you synchronize correctly with the atomic time each week?
If you want, we can switch watches for you to try out my SBGA031 which is running only < +2 sec/week. Someone else I know also told me his GS SD is running at + 2 sec/week.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:46:30 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:32:31 PM »

For a long while, I felt unconvinced by the spring drive technology. Until I met that guy Joseph. Now after seeing your macro shots, I think I know which Spring drive watch I'll want for year 2013!! Great review!!  :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »
Great review...

Y r u putting this on tan leather? Strange combination

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
Great review!
Great shoots of the watch also.

Curious on the "Air Diver"

And this is the first time i seen a sec hand 2 tone.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
hi Peter,

In diving terms, air diver means using normal compressed atmospheric air which is 21% oxygen and the balance nitrogen, co2, etc.
Many people have the misconception that diving involves an oxygen tank. If one breathes pure oxygen for a prolonged period, you would die of oxygen poisoning.

There are other forms of diving such as EAN (enriched air nitrox i.e. increased oxygen ratio of up to 32%) and tri-mix helium (introduction of helium as a 3rd factor which is an inert gas and has no effect on the human body system apart from the mickey mouse voice) for deep dives below 200 feet/ (60m)

This GS diver watch is designed for use for the basic recreational diver using normal compressed atmospheric air of up to 200 feet (60m) penetration. I have written another comment on 200m dive watches in another thread somewhere. No one apart from COMEX divers needs more than even 150m if it is a dive certified watch as max. for recreational diving is 60m..

Anyway no one uses a dive watch to calculate dive time anymore since the last 15 yrs, any serious diver uses 2 dive computers (1 backup) which computes everything like your dive profile, body temp, ambient temp and also gives you much more bottom time compared to US Navy charts + dive watch.
Dive watches are only to tell people on land that you r a diver or diver wannnabe….I'm one of them..
well some people go to the extent of wearing a Suunto dive computer/ watch as part of that reason too.

Great review!
Great shoots of the watch also.

Curious on the "Air Diver"

And this is the first time i seen a sec hand 2 tone.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:09:47 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
Shows i am a diving noob hahaha.

Davidtth must join our annual dinner to show us the GS la...

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
Congrats on a truly beautiful watch, David.  :Cheers:
& thanks for the nice write-up.
"conclusion, no regret spending so much on a "Seiko" watch" - I couldn't agree more.
Enjoy & wear your GS with joy & good health
Take care, Ciao! :thumbsup:

"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline davidtth

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »
JoS2012 - thanks again for poison me kao kao on the GS with just one touch :p i'm using Fuji X10 the only camera can do macro for me so far :) aiks... which mean for my case not so accurate anymore ? hmm will try again for another week see how it goes  :Praying:

Enkidu - wait for your GS SD pix in year 2013 :)

chrisyen - thanks, actually is more like yellowish brown, trying to match the color of the Seiko and GS wording, i always prefer wearing leather and keep the bracelet as it get scratch easily :)

takashi78 - thanks takashi, yea i'm wondering too, thanks for lesson again JOS :D i'll try to join the gathering but cant promise as i'm currently in sin city :)

bryankwc - thanks! i believe u do have a GS too? do wear it in good health and wealth too  :Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »
Vegas bebeh!

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
hehehe..david is in a real 'FINE' city... our neighbour down south...

Vegas bebeh!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »
Then it aint Sin city haha

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »
david,
where got only 1 touch.. u raba raba the GS Chrono & diver kow kow la..
perhaps I was not clear in my remarks... I think you did a fantastic job with the X10 using very nice lighting angles.
If you had a macro lens + Raynox it would have been even more detailed and higher magnification. :thumbsup:

Loo,
can't wait for you to be a convert but I don't want too many people becoming GS converts as it'll become too mainstream... ;D

bryankwc,
do share a pic of your GS too...

JoS2012 - thanks again for poison me kao kao on the GS with just one touch :p i'm using Fuji X10 the only camera can do macro for me so far :) aiks... which mean for my case not so accurate anymore ? hmm will try again for another week see how it goes  :Praying:

Enkidu - wait for your GS SD pix in year 2013 :)

chrisyen - thanks, actually is more like yellowish brown, trying to match the color of the Seiko and GS wording, i always prefer wearing leather and keep the bracelet as it get scratch easily :)

takashi78 - thanks takashi, yea i'm wondering too, thanks for lesson again JOS :D i'll try to join the gathering but cant promise as i'm currently in sin city :)

bryankwc - thanks! i believe u do have a GS too? do wear it in good health and wealth too  :Cheers:

Offline davidtth

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
Then it aint Sin city haha

sin = ? in mandarin, not sinful :p in vegas cant find any GS i believe but maybe Roger Db or Frank M, LOL

Joseph - haha thanks for the compliment, been long long time never do serious in photography since i'm here :(

Offline foowy

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »
Thanks for the fantastic review David. Congratulations again.

The pictures are superb and really highlights the beauty of the GS.

I've not had the chance to raba-raba any GS yet but always captivated by its pictures and convinced by the way GS owners swoon and praise Seiko for this line of watches.

Wear it in good health. Look forward to see more wristshots of it in the wild

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
bryankwc,
do share a pic of your GS too...

Ooops! Looks like some clarifications are in order.  :-[
I don't have a Grand Seiko, yet.  :(
A buddy brought 1 back from Japan & I got to 'enjoy' it for a while.
Like David, I loved the feel & high quality of the piece.
Since then, I've been researching GS, Credor & Seiko in general & I've come to understand that Seiko is a serious watch-maker & can produce beautiful, wonderful watches - like the Credor Spring Drive Minute Repeater.
Now, that's a dream watch!  :Praying:
I've made a promise to myself to get a nice GS or Credor 1 day.
Hmmm...maybe I should add that to my signature line.
Coming back to the subject of this thread, I really love the blue face with the PR indicator & the unique second hand.
David, you may have been poisoned by JOS2012 & now I've been poisoned by you.  ;D
Thanks again for sharing your beautiful piece.
Take care, Ciao!  :thumbsup:

"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline davidtth

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »
thanks foowy, i was hoping i can do it better for the pix with better equipment in future :p

bryan - no worry, soon you will join the GS and you will be very pleasant with it..  :thumbsup:

Offline davidtth

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
UPDATED : tested another 1 week using time.is website, accuracy till date is 0 second diff !  :D

previous website time was so wrong  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »
ahh david... u r more lucky than me then..

Use the US Navy atomic clock reference... that is used by the US satellites..

UPDATED : tested another 1 week using time.is website, accuracy till date is 0 second diff !  :D

previous website time was so wrong  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »
really nice piece..Makes me want to upgrade my current Seiko to the Grand Seiko range
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline eltontan

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »
nice watch review... this piece worth every penny you paid for.

Offline shuriken

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Really killer and poisonous shots you got there!

I am considering to buy a seiko skx007 or sumo to expand my collection and these shots are making me not to buy anything except a GS. That will take a looong time and hard to resist the temptation.

Amazing watch you've got there!

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
I had a chance recently to raba raba this limited edition gs in Siam Paragon , I would say it is a real beauty n it is very solid  :thumbsup:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »
i hate this thread...it's poisoning me to get a GS...and i was planning to get just 2 more watches before i call it quits...now i may have to add another one into the list. it's a really impressive watch and it's captivating the more i look at it.

may i ask what's the retail price of this GS? 

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »
Finally have the oppty to view & touch this great watch in the flesh & meet the owner during MWF GTG. Nice meeting u, David ! :thumbsup: ;D