Author Topic: Getting compliments from a stranger  (Read 10211 times)

Offline watzisname

Getting compliments from a stranger
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
Would it be weird getting compliments on your watch suddenly by a total stranger on your watch? Just wondering if anybody had such an experience and what watch were you wearing at that time?

Offline dpkong

Re: Getting compliments from a stranger
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »

So far no and I hope not to ever get any comments from a total stranger. That would be scary.

Offline watzisname

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
Oh c'mon what if I really liked the watch you were wearing and would like to know where you got it?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »
Oh c'mon what if I really liked the watch you were wearing and would like to know where you got it?

To a total stranger from Malaysia, I would tell them Petaling Street and walk away very fast...

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »

To a total stranger from Malaysia, I would tell them Petaling Street and walk away very fast...

agreed

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »

And to be honest, if you really like my watch, how would I know you were going to ask me where I got it or to hand it over?

:-\

Offline watzisname

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
Well meeting a shady character in a back alley who is asking you for your watch was not what I had in mind. I mean look at what we're doing here, posting pics of your watch then getting comments from other forumers; isn't that the same thing? Maybe if I was well dressed and wearing a Rolex myself when I was talking to you might be a different scenario.

I mean if girls can ask each other where they got their bags; why can't men do the same about watches?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »
Well meeting a shady character in a back alley who is asking you for your watch was not what I had in mind. I mean look at what we're doing here, posting pics of your watch then getting comments from other forumers; isn't that the same thing? Maybe if I was well dressed and wearing a Rolex myself when I was talking to you might be a different scenario.

I mean if girls can ask each other where they got their bags; why can't men do the same about watches?

Back alley, shopping mall, wet market and any other location doesn't make a difference. I don't fancy walking around while looking over my back all the time if I knew someone took an interest in my watch. It would be different if it was a WIS gathering but then there wouldn't be total strangers as everyone would know someone there.

I don't think girls talk about bags with total strangers.

Oh.. and what we do on the forum is quite different from someone walking up to you in the face. You could post and ask me to hand over the watch and I would reply that I have just emailed it to you..

:Dancing_banana:  :Dancing_banana:

Offline watzisname

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
LOL good thing I didn't talk to the guy with the handsome Breitling at the mall the other day

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »
LOL good thing I didn't talk to the guy with the handsome Breitling at the mall the other day

Are you sure it's "guy with handsome Breitling" or "handsome guy with Breitling"

:Laughing_on_floor:  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline watzisname

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »
I dunno, can't remember his face to be honest I was busy ogling at his watch

Offline gapnap

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
Once in a while , i make comments like "Nice JLC" or anything that i find interesting , to strangers , clients , business associates and so on.
I met a girl with a Ulysses Nardin before , and it was really easy to start a conversation with her . (The bigger problem is that i don't remember her name , but her watch) I tell my buddies she's the girl with the Ulysses Nardin .

Isn't it a good conversation starter? 

Offline Yoda

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 06:16:57 AM »
No big deal, lots of ppl are warm and friendly here.

If the person is from your opposite gender very likely wanted to start a conversation

Mine asking you too what watch are you wearing on that day?

:Laughing_on_floor:
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline Empty Tree 8

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 06:43:16 AM »
If I was asked and the stranger had on something which show his interest  in watches, it would likely let my guard down....would take that as common interest sparking the comment.......anything else I would probably scoot away real fast.......unless its a stunner in a tight black dress of course..... :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:   

Offline watzisname

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 07:32:59 AM »
Once in a while , i make comments like "Nice JLC" or anything that i find interesting , to strangers , clients , business associates and so on.
I met a girl with a Ulysses Nardin before , and it was really easy to start a conversation with her . (The bigger problem is that i don't remember her name , but her watch) I tell my buddies she's the girl with the Ulysses Nardin .

LOL is this what you use to talk to girls at the bar?

Offline watzisname

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 07:34:07 AM »

If the person is from your opposite gender very likely wanted to start a conversation

Sadly I am still without a watch  :Blue: been lusting over the Sinn 856 for weeks though

Offline Yoda

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »

Sadly I am still without a watch  :Blue: been lusting over the Sinn 856 for weeks though

Then let me be as Sinn ful as possible to fulfill your lust. Shall we meet at a Watch Bar?

Haha hope my wife didn't see this

Yoda

Offline watzisname

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »

Then let me be as Sinn ful as possible to fulfill your lust. Shall we meet at a Watch Bar?

Haha hope my wife didn't see this

Ok show me pic of your naked Sinn first

Offline watzisname

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
Coincidentally the AD in sg has a promo but I'm not allowed to talk about it. Any forum members in sg can help me to buy?

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
I was at the F1 Paddock Club and this street magician asked for my watch to do a magic trick. I advised him to use someone elses watch but he said only mine would work. I was wearing a GMT2c Two Tone lar, so in the end he prefered not to do the trick. Haha i think cause it's a GMT and since the trick involves magnets that stops the movement, it might screw up the GMT complication.

I think it works on any simple Auto movement, lesson learned. TT Rolexes are extremely bling, so wear with caution.

On the other hand, I feel happier when people spot my Omega Seamaster Chronodiver, as it's less common. Spotted twice so far, once by a colleague who is a watch buff and again by a friend who digs watches too. :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:24:52 AM by ivanpei »

Offline gapnap

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »

LOL is this what you use to talk to girls at the bar?

Not sure if its appropriate to wear your power time piece at the bar .
Depends on the time though , i don't wear my sayang watches after 10pm
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:57:06 AM by gapnap »

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
sayang watches, like  :thumbsup:

Offline j0shua

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
I saw a tall and larger sized uncle buying some books some time ago, and he had a Big Pilot on, and I've always thought those were simply too big. He had the hand/wrist size to pull it off really nicely, but I stopped myself from saying anything cos I felt it would be quite awkward complimenting another fella about the size of his hands...

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
lucky you didn't, he might think that you like his "big hands"  ::)

Offline Yoda

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
OMG I have gone into a wrong toilet.

MOD, can I suggest all members to disclose M or F in their profile?

Yoda