Author Topic: Saturday afternoon window shopping  (Read 5592 times)

Offline takashi78

Saturday afternoon window shopping
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
With nothing much to do and around the PJ SS2 area where Hush got his Sumo i decided to go visit that place for the first time.
Only 1 black Sumo left in the shop others sold out.
But when the boss came back from lunch he took out a blue bezel ver from the back and say that its new price, up by rm100+ cause of the Jpn Yen go up :-[

Glad to finally examine the watch and although the finishing is top notch i feel for me its too "normal", sorry Hush  :P
But then i spotted the Citizen Ecozilla and tried it on, now thats more like it! Really different looking and not as refined as the sumo.

One thing i find which puts me off, i think its the way the buckle is design but i had a really hard time taking the watch off my hands without being "rough".
The Ti keeping is very nice.

1 question though
- How long does the watch need to "charge" because the watch was sitting at the table while me and another cust was looking at used Rolex, the sec hand is still jumping at 3sec intervals.

Actually spent most of the time examining the gold "ah pek" Rolex at the used watch section with another customer.
For a shop thats not in a shopping mall i think that place has very good flow of customers and for the entire period the sales person was busy.

Ecozilla on my wrist,hmmm i like i alot ! :thumbsup:

3 type of divers, if you can call my Tag that....the Sumo is actually a blue ver but its really hard to capture the color without a real camera and right lighting.

Some Ah Pek goodness :P

Closer pic of the gold duo

Offline silverstan

Re: Saturday afternoon window shopping
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »
how much is that daydate?  :Startled:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
Peter. Thank for sharing. A afternoon well spent.Wish I could come along with you. But then, I was struck with my car servicing.

I went over to Low Yatt to browse over some net book and matter of fact had bought one - Acer. Aspire one......and am using it now........

See you tomorrow...
dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:42:44 PM »
Daydate was in very good condition and checked the serial is 1974-74. rm18.5k.
The rest around 14-15k.

DC,
Congrats on the new NB. Which model you bought?
Yeah...see you tomorrow, it will finally be the day haha

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »
Peter thanks for sharing  :thumbsup: Will let you know if I can make it to Lam's place later.

Offline HusH

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »
Nice pics! Glad you finally got to see the Sumo. But I guess it's not for everyone...

Anyway, I was in Penang for the weekend. Was at Jalan Penang for a bit of sight seeing and was surprised at the number of watch shops along that road. One shop in particular caught my interest so much so that I visited the shop twice. This shop had shelves and shelves of watches mostly comprising of NOS vintage and non-vintage Seiko (particularly Seiko 5), Orient and Citizen. They also had NOS vintage pieces of lesser known brands (from the old days) such as Zodiac, Enicar, Bulova & Eterna (and some others which has slipped my mind). And also worth mentioning, a few NOS vintage Tissot and Omega. Damn those vintage Tissot and Omega looked really nice. I would have splash the cash on them if only they weren't all gold plated. Absolute paradise for vintage watch collectors. And definitely for Seiko collectors. And I have to apologize for not taking any pictures as I was too busy drooling over the watches and had forgotten to do so.

But, I did pick something up from the shop as I felt I shouldn't leave empty handed. Here it is.

It's the Seiko 5 SNX427 military style watch in a relatively tiny 35mm which I believe has been discontinued. Most current Seiko 5 models has the "5" logo on the dial. But this one is a little special. If you look closely at the picture, you would think there's a smudge just over the 6 o'clock marker. But it's actually the "Seiko" and "5" etched on the crystal (I believe it's on the underside as the crystal feels smooth when I touch the logo). Cool! I only discovered it after I bought it and was admiring the watch at various angles. But you won't see it if you look directly into the dial (e.g. when looking at the time).

Anyway, it's a excellent shop and would recommend a visit if you're ever there.  :Cheers:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
always does love this series of the Seikos ....would love to get myself the one with the Khaki coloured dial. :thumbsup:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 05:06:58 AM »
Wow urs is bracelet i thought it came with strap. The price you paid i feel is very worth it then.
I reckon is a very good do anything with it watch.

The Tissot and Omega is 18k gold or just gold plated?
Any idea on the price range of those? etc under 5k or above?

Looks like me and DC if have time can make a trip up there to look see haha

Offline HusH

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
always does love this series of the Seikos ....would love to get myself the one with the Khaki coloured dial. :thumbsup:

They had the newer 43mm in khaki dial. But don't recall seeing the 35mm version in khaki.

Offline HusH

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
Wow urs is bracelet i thought it came with strap. The price you paid i feel is very worth it then.
I reckon is a very good do anything with it watch.

The Tissot and Omega is 18k gold or just gold plated?
Any idea on the price range of those? etc under 5k or above?

Looks like me and DC if have time can make a trip up there to look see haha

Pretty sure it's gold plated. Prices were below 5K. And they are automatics. Good deal! I maybe wrong, but I think the prices on the tags were the original prices from way back.

So many watches there but not enough time. Sigh... 

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:29:55 AM »
Thats the shop I visited whenever I am back to Penang. The last trip Lam and I went over to this shop and he drooled over the wares. That is one vintage vulcain alarm and is a classic.

The current owner is the 2nd generation and I remembered I bought my first mechanical watch from his father. He is 1-2 years my junior and also from the same school (SXI).

Strongly recommended to visit whenever you'r in Penang.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline sshark

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 06:20:45 PM »

Agreed totally. and khaki dial is uncommon. the other brand with khaki dial is hamilton (if my memory doesn't fail me).

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »
care to share which shop is this? i normally go to TOng Eng...if its a different one...maybe i can drop by also..
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 09:20:14 AM »
Bro

DO u still remember what is the selling price of the ecozilla?

With nothing much to do and around the PJ SS2 area where Hush got his Sumo i decided to go visit that place for the first time.
Only 1 black Sumo left in the shop others sold out.
But when the boss came back from lunch he took out a blue bezel ver from the back and say that its new price, up by rm100+ cause of the Jpn Yen go up :-[

Glad to finally examine the watch and although the finishing is top notch i feel for me its too "normal", sorry Hush  :P
But then i spotted the Citizen Ecozilla and tried it on, now thats more like it! Really different looking and not as refined as the sumo.

One thing i find which puts me off, i think its the way the buckle is design but i had a really hard time taking the watch off my hands without being "rough".
The Ti keeping is very nice.

1 question though
- How long does the watch need to "charge" because the watch was sitting at the table while me and another cust was looking at used Rolex, the sec hand is still jumping at 3sec intervals.

Actually spent most of the time examining the gold "ah pek" Rolex at the used watch section with another customer.
For a shop thats not in a shopping mall i think that place has very good flow of customers and for the entire period the sales person was busy.

Ecozilla on my wrist,hmmm i like i alot ! :thumbsup:

3 type of divers, if you can call my Tag that....the Sumo is actually a blue ver but its really hard to capture the color without a real camera and right lighting.

Some Ah Pek goodness :P

Closer pic of the gold duo

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 03:20:50 PM »
just curious by any chance do you know how much that ecozilla and the blue sumo cost? can pm if cannot discuss openly
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline bullosa

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »
Wow Takashi78, what a bunch of goodies seen. The Ecozilla looks good on your wrist. I wasnt aware that the Sumo are available in Malaysia. Hahaha...learning something new everyday. Can you PM me where you have seen it and is the price worth buying locally?

Cheers!