If you have Rm 49k, which would it be?

IWC Portuguese Chrono
3 (25%)
IWC Portuguese Automatic
7 (58.3%)
JLC Squadra World Chrono
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: What to buy?  (Read 8297 times)

Offline pr1mus

What to buy?
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »
So what do you guys think? These are my shortlisted candidates and I need help!

Offline takashi78

Re: What to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
Choice number 2 for me.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:20:31 AM »
RM49K a lot of options la.. why only these 3? and after discount these 3 are less then 30K...

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
Ya Scott are rite, TS can have IWC BP, Pam 233, GO Pano, AP ROO, VC oversea and ton of other brands in his list..

Offline sshark

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »
7 days for me too  :thumbsup:

Offline peanut

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »
The list price for Port Auto 7 days is RM39k. RM49k gives you a lot of choices. I would not get anyone of these with a larger budget. Moser & Cie's Monard white gold after discount is in the low RM40s.  Yes, I would consider AP ROO too!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:07:25 PM by peanut »

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
Wait.. i didn't mean the 3 pcs in you've short-listed are no good, just that i thought maybe you can have wider selections ;)

I will go for Port 7 Days  :Cheers:

Offline peanut

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
Given the 3 choices I will also go for Port Auto 7 days.  But I noticed that my Port's accuracy is bad when the PR is 3 days or less or may be it was due to I put it in the same position for a long time (e.g. during extended traveling)?

Offline sshark

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:13:22 PM »
How bad was it?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
Given the 3 choices I will also go for Port Auto 7 days.  But I noticed that my Port's accuracy is bad when the PR is 3 days or less or may be it was due to I put it in the same position for a long time (e.g. during extended traveling)?

The 7 days movement is not as accurate as rolex... average around +6/day. The thing is, the gain is consistant and consistant for several positions too.. This is a known fact and has been discussed in most of the forums :D

Offline peanut

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »

The 7 days movement is not as accurate as rolex... average around +6/day. The thing is, the gain is consistant and consistant for several positions too.. This is a known fact and has been discussed in most of the forums :D

It seems to be accurate when the PR is full.  But it was more than 1 minute off when the PR is low and that's within a time span of 5-6 days!  That is more than 6 sec/day!  But I still like my Port best.  It is one of the best looking watches that I have!   ;D

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
hmm, this is a nice topic. :) as i was posed with it not long ago.

as for iwc portuguese, between chrono and 7 days, u really have to wear it to find out which u'll like.
the 7 days look awesome in pictures both front n back but it's significantly thicker than the chrono version (maybe more than double).

so, if u're planning a dressy watch, the 7 day maybe a bit difficult on ur cuffs. but it's going to be ur working attire watch, i'm pretty sure the 7day will do fine.

as for ur other options. what other watches do u have? maybe u can share with us so that we can help out to see what else is missing.

recently i was reading a forum discussion about a "1 watch - what would u have". there were 2-3 main contenders, the VC overseas chrono, AP royal oak and Rolex daytona. u may consider these also as they are within ur price range.

btw, from the above i voted for the portuguese chrono as i've the exact model :)

Offline pr1mus

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback, minor mistake in the posting, budget should be RM 40k only!

But to answer some of the questions, have gone through the stuff on HG, Sincere, HT, Cortina. Looked at at AP, GP, Chopard, JLC, Custos, Zenith, IWC and also VC.

Out of these, the only ones that caught my eye was this 3 choice. Reason for selection? Simple, I like how they look on my wrist!  ;D

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
the 7 days Port is not that thick la.. not double that much but it's thicker...

I will go for 7 days simply because (1) in house (2) largest auto so far (3) long PR (4) the design/look, stunning if you see it in fresh, so far, still one of my favorite ;) (5) with date... i prefer one with date if have to wear it daily... all just my opinion la...

since you have extra budget might as well go for the in-house, i'm sure you will come back to this Port auto again after you got the chrono :) I'm sure  :P kakkakkka

Offline peanut

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »
If you haven't read my review on the Port Auto 7 days, please read it in the review section.  Of the 3 above, I will also choose the Port Auto 7 Day.  Mine is the LE but this is generally true for all Port Auto.  I love:

- The railway track minute chapter ring
- Useful 7 days power reserve
- Full index number (not partially truncated like the Chrono version)
- Beautiful minute and hour hands (Port Chrono is the same)

I will take long power reserve over chrono anytime as I have stopped using chrono to time how long I stay in toilet!   ;D

Offline pr1mus

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »
Actually thickness is not really a problem for me. I use the Corum Admiral's Cup with cufflink shirts and have no issues with them. Have seen all 3 watches, the 7-day is not really THAT thick compared to the Corum.

Offline pr1mus

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
Hi Folks,

Finally bit the bullet and went to confirm the 7 day. Still have to order as the AD does not have the specific unit. Thanks for the feedback and now eagerly awaiting the new toy!  ;D

Offline Broleo

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
I think your Sir have choosen wisely.

Congrats