Author Topic: New Toy - Seiko SPR043K  (Read 3201 times)

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
New Toy - Seiko SPR043K
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
Not much review... (copied and paste from my blog)

Upon arrival, I immediately set the time to match my G-Shock G1200. The SPORK, are among the early Seiko Divers that come with 4R15 movement. Something that long been asked from them. To finally stop using the 7S36 movement. People already bored with it. Yes , it is reliable, yes it is proven...but fans want something new. Something out of the norm. The 4R15 is said to be better than the 7S series movement. It was said to have better accuracy thus the decision to set it against my G.Will check again same time tomorrow. In addition the 4R15 is said to have 50 hours power reserve, but with no hack and winding feature, it will be tough for me to know when it is already fully loaded . Maybe I should wear it for a day or two before I can conduct any test.

So first impression ?? Yes I am very happy with the appearance. I love the size. The case is about 44mm and about 13mm thick...Not a massive size, but just fine for me.I think I mentioned this before, due to vigorous feeding and diet for the past 3 years, anything below 44mm case is no no for me...This big fat wrist needed something muscular.The overall appearance don't really speak Seiko. One of the main attraction of Spork would be its boldness to be not like its elder sibling. This one come with its own identity and image. But not that very pure image though. The dial resemble Sinn 657...very much like it. But I love it very much. The usage of obviously huge arabic font make this watch stand out than the others. On top, the usage of white base lume paint give good contrast to black background. From far, if you don't notice the SEIKO word on the dial, you would easily deduce that this watch worth 10x more than the price tag.The lume is great too...(which rather typical with Seiko)

Come closer to the case, it is fitted with hardlex mineral, which is good enough for the price. This protecting the black dial. The glass is surrounded by black uni directional bezel with 120 clicks. Which is a great feature for diver as compared to 60 click bezel.The bezel rotate easily, but not loosely. Date display is slightly below to 4 o'clock mark, a rather not conventional position but a norm to many seiko fan.The bezel side tooth help with the grip for easy operation.The screw down crown are located at 4 o'clock, which is ok with me.

The watch felt very comfortable on my wrist. The rubber strap is soft and flexible, I have no complaint about that , however the size dissapoint me a little bit. The strap is 22mm but the lug width is only 20mm. I really hate 20mm width lug. As much as I hate 20mm strap. I am the kind who always love to put in lovely leather strap to my watch. But good 20mm is hard to find. Will have to start looking.Looking forward to that modification

At the back, the screw down case come with typical tsunami logo. But what make it different from most Seiko diver, instead letting the case back protruding out from the case, the case is now recessed so the caseback sit lower. That add more comfort to wearer but do expect tons of dirt build in in between slots. Which is fine to me as I always take watch cleaning as fun thing to do.Another thing worth mentioning that if I am not mistaken , the watch 200m WR rating is ISO rated. Which make it awesome (though I always wonder when would I ever past 10 meter deep down the sea??? Something I am always fond to try)

Overall impression, it is like this watch made for my style....It look rugged enough so I can match it with any pairs of jean, and subtle so it will match any suit I put on....I am loving it....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:33:46 AM by mnazri.tan »

Offline David_cheong

Re: New Toys - Seiko SPR043K
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »
Nice written review.
(Almost bought this watch moons ago)

Thank for sharing

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Re: New Toys - Seiko SPR043K
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »
Nice written review.
(Almost bought this watch moons ago)

Thank for sharing

dc

Did you actually pull the trigger for this watch? I did not know about it man