Author Topic: Damasko DK-10 in-house A35-1 calibre with silicium escapement  (Read 9302 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
I was asked to do a review on my Damasko DK-10 some time back by a fellow moderator but too many reviews are still pending..
I had been concentrating on completing the reviews on all my GS first.

For a change from GS reviews (which is not yet complete) I decided to do a review on a teutonic true blue German made watch with its own in-house calibre featuring a hi-tech silicium escapement and other hi-tech materials.

Damasko is a small independent manufacture located in Germany. You can google for the history,etc.
They focus on tough tool watches and their specialty being ice hardened cases.
Several other German manufacturers also have their own version of hardened cases using different technologies e.g Sinn (submarine steel, tegimented), Tutima, etc

Although 90% of Damasko line use Swiss ebauches, I'm only interested in their low production DK series which uses their own in-house manufacture calibre A35-1, as these are using hi-tech silicium escapements.

Damasko's product codes are easy to remember;
DA -using Swiss ebauche- time only, DC- Swiss ebauche (mostly Vj7750) chrono, DK- in-house calibres only

Only a few hi end manufactures use silicium e.g. UN, Chopard, etc. The only hi volume manufacture using silicium is Omega with their Si-14 escapement (with excellent results, if you check). As such Damasko's silicium escapement offering in their own in-house movement has a fantastic cost/value proposition.

Of course all this hi-end silicium and in-house movement boast comes to nothing if the movement is not up to mark in terms of performance.
There is a segment of WIS that scoff at new in-house movements. I'd like to throw a gauntlet to anyone who doubt new in-house movements to pit their Swiss ebauches or other trusted in-house movements against this A35-1 calibre anytime in terms of accuracy and stability. Loser writes a thousand lines.. 'I shall not doubt all new in-house movements unless I do more research' :laugh:

Part of the reason I tend to do my reviews very much late into my ownership is to gauge the long term performance of each of my watches.
My experience with the DK-10 since my purchase has been par excellent, in short superb.
There's nothing more you can ask from a tactical watch for outdoor sports use in terms of toughness, accuracy, comfort and teutonic reliability besides looking very handsome.

This DK-10 is very much in demand esp by US and European WIS that its rare to walk in an AD and buy 1 off the rack, unlike the DA/DC series.
In most cases you have to place an order and wait for months. Perhaps its the low production and the much higher cost compared to the DA and DC series.

Refer to this link for reviews by US DK-10 owners:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/anyone-try-new-damasko-dk10-dk11-843842-2.html

Timekeeping for the DK-10 is excellent.. <+1 sec every 2 days
For a fully mechanical and relatively new in-house calibre this is quite astonishing.
As such I've decided this is one of the watches I'll keep for a long while unless something even more superior comes along.

Being very tough and in black, it is a super tactical watch to be worn for outdoor activities e.g. very physical teambuilding, white water rafting, caving, off road motorcycling, scuba, etc..
I can't think of a better watch within my collection to undergo these kind of duties.

First the technical specs:

Movement:
Self-manufactured movement Damasko A 35-1
Self-winding, mechanical movement with winding system
24 jewels
28,800 bph
silicium escapement wheel made via LIGA process
Shockproof according to DIN 8308
Anti-magnetic according to DIN 8309
EPS® spring (non-magnetic) made via LIGA process- better breathing for better isochronism
Balance wheel with 4 gyromax regulating cams
52 hours power reserve
Damasko DLC rotor with 5 ceramic bearings
Watch is regulated in 5 positions

DK10 functions:
Hour, minute, permanent central small sweep second
Day/date window with special position

Case:
Stainless steel, bead-blasted, nickel-free
Ice-hardened to 60 HRC or 710 HV, fully hardened
Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides, extremely scratch-resistant
Crystal gasket resistant to UV radiation
Solid screw glass back with O-ring Viton gasket
Gaskets of crown with permanent lubrication
Screw-down crown with protective shoulders
Crown fully hardened
Hardened bi-directional rotating bezel with exact ceramic ball ratchet elements
Hardened bezel insert provided with Damest coating, scratchproof, abrasion-resistant
Bilight provided with red special paint
Optional bezel insert: 60-minute countdown or 12-hour ring (according to US military specifications)
Water resistant according to DIN 8310, pressure-proof up to 10 bar
Negative-pressure-proof for flight use

Dial:
Matt black, hour markers and triangle at 12 provided with a persistently luminous special paint
Red Si imprint at 8

Hands:
Hour and minute hands painted black and provided with a white, persistently luminous special paint
Second hand provided with red special paint

Strap and Bracelet:
Leather strap, optionally with buckle, folding clasp or silicon strap

Dimensions:
Diameter: 42.00 mm
Overall height: 13.90 mm
Bezel diameter: 43.80 mm
Lug width: 22.00 mm
Weight without strap: 87.60 grams

Warranty:
2 years

The face of the DK-10…. very tactical and handsome look…

This hint tells you that this model is not the run of the mill… its special…. Si stands for Silicium

Although a tool watch, the whole base plate is perlaged, bridges & DLC rotor have beautifully executed Geneva stripes (in this case it should be Damasko stripes) and edges are all beautifully beveled with true heat-blued screws.

Literally the jewel in the crown.. the whole silicium escapement- the balance wheel with 4 gyromax regulating cams, LIGA manufactured EPS balance spring and the LIGA manufactured silicium escape wheel possess totally non-magnetic qualities….absolutely gorgeous and a top performer…
As the escapement is non-magnetic, the watch can have a see through case back and yet be anti-magnetic.

Close up of the crown, apologies for the dirt marks on the case

Close up of the ice hardened case
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:59:57 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Re: Damasko DK-10 in-house A35-1 calibre with silicium escapement
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
Great watch, thanks for the review. Nice pics.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Silicium is an interesting new technology and represents a great leap forward in horology.
Seiko fan.....

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »
The so much high tech in house movement with hardened case at this price point...
Such a bargain

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »
a very thorough review with a lot of attention to details and the pictures are great ! enjoy the watch  :thumbsup:

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
an over engineered piece of german product

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Great pics of a cracking watch, Jos.  Top stuff!

Offline Dc

• Merchants
    • Watch And Ward Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
Great review ! Been always wanted to own this watch and Sinn U2 .

Offline Lurch

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »
Dont know which is better... the photography or the watch..

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
The photography is amateurish…..truly :-[
1st 3 shots slightly underexposed…
Look at the dirt on the case in the last 2 pics which means I didn't clean up the watch before taking the pic.
Dust on the earlier pics meaning I didn't blow off the dust properly….

A good photographer wouldn't miss all THAT….  >:(

The watch is deserving of much better pictures actually but that will take more time to set up and I'm lazy as well..

Believe me, the watch is that good... :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:31:26 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
Saw and molested the DK10 at the AD last night and was quite taken by it. I must say that the watch looks better in the flesh.  The movement is pretty well decorated and the built quality is very solid.  It will be hard to decide between this and the Pelagos.